Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Offical Acan Thread!

Ocho Cinco

i'm the one who took you there the first time. lol it's me John. yeah i hope i have something to trade for for some of pats one day :D

Oh yeah, that tank looks familiar now! Trade for what? I deffently like some your tour stuff. You got me hooked on acans!!!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are a couple pics of my other Acans. Remember I'm horrible at using the camera!

New acans. I have to attach these to some LR rubble the skeleton is small

NewAcans.jpg

Aussie Acans

Acans.jpg

Acan.jpg

I also have a single orange crush polyp.

I have those same purple acans, I love acans also and once I get my new frag tank started I will have more.

Right now I have three different ones, red, red w/ white and purple as shown above.

Nick's Reef
I won't be going for a while but I'll try. Also he only like to frag no less than 3 heads. I tried to get a single rainbow but he said he can do 3 or more. Mainly because they don't do well as singles.

Well if he'll only do three or more forget it, I can't afford that at the moment and with shipping that would be a killer. Thanks though! :D

Well if he'll only do three or more forget it, I can't afford that at the moment and with shipping that would be a killer. Thanks though! :D

I'll keep my eyes open for you and me. I want some too!

Man this thread is really taking off!

OK all you acan lovers......

I was thinking of ordering one from Zoanuts. And we all know how expensive those are. So I do not want to go spending that $$ if I don't know what I'm doing.

Do they have to be on the sand? My sandbed is high rent district right now. Mainly because I have a few stinging corals (Frogspawn, Duncans, and GSP) that are there right now and nowhere to move them. About halfway up my tank I have a flat rock that has nothing on it. It would be perfect for some kind of showpiece. But again, it's halfway up my tank. Would this be too much light for an Acan? I have a RSM with 2 55watt T5 PC's. I do have a couple of rocks down near the bed that I could mount it to but wanted to check with the experts before I do anything.

Can anyone give a girl some advice??

OK all you acan lovers......

I was thinking of ordering one from Zoanuts. And we all know how expensive those are. So I do not want to go spending that $$ if I don't know what I'm doing.

Do they have to be on the sand? My sandbed is high rent district right now. Mainly because I have a few stinging corals (Frogspawn, Duncans, and GSP) that are there right now and nowhere to move them. About halfway up my tank I have a flat rock that has nothing on it. It would be perfect for some kind of showpiece. But again, it's halfway up my tank. Would this be too much light for an Acan? I have a RSM with 2 55watt T5 PC's. I do have a couple of rocks down near the bed that I could mount it to but wanted to check with the experts before I do anything.

Can anyone give a girl some advice??

As for me I just started with acans and all mine ore one the sandbed. I chose to put them there mainly because thats where I usually see people putting them there. Also because I have no room on the lr right now. I think they will be fine where ever you put them. Lets here from some of the experienced "experts" though.

Those are some awesome Acans. I can only hope mine will color up as nicely as yours.

Got some pics today - they are kind of crappy. I was playing with the camera trying to get the colors right on the different acans but I don't think I did the best job. A lot of them look better then the pics.

Also I forgot to take a picture of the pastel green acan by itself. But you can see it on the left in the first picture!

Here are some pics. You can see that the bottom is a bit crowded. Also the tenticles of the frog and the Duncan extend quite a ways. I have actually fragged off a stalk of the frog and need to get it out of the tank. Right now it's sitting where the other one is.

011-5.jpg

Here is the "shelf" that I was talking about:

013.jpg

Thanks guys!

That looks like a perfect place to put them. They can be your center piece. If you think your tank is crowded, check out mine:

FTS 6-25

FTS6-25-1.jpg

HAZMAT: acans tend to grow faster on rockwork than sand IME. nuf said

HTH

abe

Thats fine. I was more worried about light and flow since everything I read says "sandbed". They prefer sandbed. Like they told somebody that once?? B)

That looks like a perfect place to put them. They can be your center piece. If you think your tank is crowded, check out mine:

FTS 6-25

FTS6-25-1.jpg

Very cool! Do you not worry about anything stinging something else? I'm like freakin paranoid of letting anything get close. I have some palys on the bottom rock so I moved the Duncans but now they are getting really close to the GSP. The frogspawn is so big its extending towards the GSP and to the Ric I have on the rock. Thats why I need to get rid of part of the frogspawn. Just haven't had time to take it to the LFS.

Or if anyone lives in the DFW area, you can have it!!

Thats fine. I was more worried about light and flow since everything I read says "sandbed". They prefer sandbed. Like they told somebody that once?? B)

Very cool! Do you not worry about anything stinging something else? I'm like freakin paranoid of letting anything get close. I have some palys on the bottom rock so I moved the Duncans but now they are getting really close to the GSP. The frogspawn is so big its extending towards the GSP and to the Ric I have on the rock. Thats why I need to get rid of part of the frogspawn. Just haven't had time to take it to the LFS.

Or if anyone lives in the DFW area, you can have it!!

I always thought they do the best on the sand bed too.

I'm not too worried because I check the tank all the time to make sure. Most things in there are waiting to go into my 80 gallon when it becaomes "safe". I am worried about when I go on vacation for a week during 5th of July that things might. I'm having my Dad watch it and he knows nothing about it. He's just gonna feed the tank. Plus I have a full frag rack that is out of the pic. The inverts will knock stuff off and they might fall into or next to something that will sticg it. Ususlly I'm there to fix it but then I won't.

well... i guess i have to repeat my story. i bought a freshly fragged colony... with seven heads... there are other colonies at the store in the frag tank on sand. same size, larger, smaller. i placed my acans on LR. now my acans have 20+ heads in 2 months, and the store acans have not changed head count... just place somewhere on the rocks with med light, med flow. my acans are puffy everyday with those conditions.

well... i guess i have to repeat my story. i bought a freshly fragged colony... with seven heads... there are other colonies at the store in the frag tank on sand. same size, larger, smaller. i placed my acans on LR. now my acans have 20+ heads in 2 months, and the store acans have not changed head count... just place somewhere on the rocks with med light, med flow. my acans are puffy everyday with those conditions.

Do you attach them to rubble them the large piece of rock? Or straight to the rock?

Do you attach them to rubble them the large piece of rock? Or straight to the rock?

i avoid glue or epoxy when possible, i just place in on the rock. in time, it will grow onto the rock, just like my echinata did. it takes a while, but like everything in reefing, patience is everything.

i avoid glue or epoxy when possible, i just place in on the rock. in time, it will grow onto the rock, just like my echinata did. it takes a while, but like everything in reefing, patience is everything.

I was just going to glue the acan with a small skeleton so a piece rubble rock so it can grow on that and them place it on my LR. Is that fine?

Thanks Abe!

I was going to just set it against the corner of the "shelf". Gluing is like a double edge sword. If I don't then everything gets knocked over by the crabs and Turbos. But as soon as you glue a coral down it needs a dip or moved or something! Never fails!

Thanks for all the advice. Now I assume that when it has it's "tenticles" out is when you feed it? It looks a lot like my candy cane coral. As soon as the lights go out small tenticles come out on the candy cane. I feed it mysis or cyclopeez and it pulls it right in. Every head on my candy cane has split into another head. In fact I'm slowing down the feeding because it's growing so fast!

Now to pick one! That rainbow is fantastic looking!! They have one at Zoanuts but...$$$$$

Thanks Abe!

I was going to just set it against the corner of the "shelf". Gluing is like a double edge sword. If I don't then everything gets knocked over by the crabs and Turbos. But as soon as you glue a coral down it needs a dip or moved or something! Never fails!

Thanks for all the advice. Now I assume that when it has it's "tenticles" out is when you feed it? It looks a lot like my candy cane coral. As soon as the lights go out small tenticles come out on the candy cane. I feed it mysis or cyclopeez and it pulls it right in. Every head on my candy cane has split into another head. In fact I'm slowing down the feeding because it's growing so fast!

Now to pick one! That rainbow is fantastic looking!! They have one at Zoanuts but...$$$$$

I mainly glue everything becuse if I don't it will get knowcked down. When it is epoxied, you can always pop it off.

Yeah use glue if you can. It is the best option. I have had to many things get knocked over because they werent glued. I have lost a 12+ polyp of Babies Breath and a 3/4" Tyree Pink Watermelon becase I was too lazy to glue.

Yeah, I'm gonna glue the ones with a thin skeleton to some rubble first then to the LR for safety.

Wow! there are some great looking corals in this thread. The last time we headed out, Cindy picked out these. I need to get a better picture but at the moment this is all I have:

DSC_8436-PP.JPG

At the moment the plug is sitting in the sand bed because the turbos kept knocking it iff the rock, but we pan to glue it down eventually. According to my information it's an Aussie Acan Lord. It looks like there were several others with a similar pattern.

-hank

Archived