ReefCleaners.org

The Offical Acan Thread!

Ocho Cinco

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a new 4 polyp frag yesterday. It's like reddish with speckles (is that a word?) in it. It looks very cool and for only $20!

JourneyReef

Mine looks just like your last one...what kind is that?

Indo Lords

P4160121.jpg

Aussie Lords

P4160115.jpg

P3180020.jpg

P3180012.jpg

There are only two more morphs of aussies i'm looking for, blue/turquoise rim w/red center and TRUE rainbows. I also want UFO micros to go with my grape slurpees.

JourneyReef

Hi there,

I'm a cheapie when it comes to coral...well and most other things. I'm too new to reefing to drop 50 or more dollars on a single coral. I wait for really good deals (LFS, friends, people on the forums) and pounce! I paid 20$ for my Aussie Acan (Lord) and it has about 7-10 heads. Actually, it probably averaged to a bit more since some other things died in shipping but not much.

I did get some good information on the Rainbow morph of an Acan. Supposidly the colors can change depending on lighting and such. Also, just because....for some reason some can lose their colors. So it seems to be the luck of the draw as to getting a piece and hopefully it keeping it's vibrant colors.

I'm still having a hard time deciding what I want and how much I want to spend. Sure would be a bummer to spend a bunch of money on one and then it lose its color!

Has anyone had this happen to their piece? (I so feel like I'm talking to myself on this thread!! ;) )

Who me?

I was talking about whoever posted the pictures I "quoted" into my reply.

I did PM you about something else though.

Hi there,

I'm a cheapie when it comes to coral...well and most other things. I'm too new to reefing to drop 50 or more dollars on a single coral. I wait for really good deals (LFS, friends, people on the forums) and pounce! I paid 20$ for my Aussie Acan (Lord) and it has about 7-10 heads. Actually, it probably averaged to a bit more since some other things died in shipping but not much.

I was talking about whoever posted the pictures I "quoted" into my reply.

I did PM you about something else though.

i usually wait for good deals too. Monday my lfs had a bunch of $20 acan frags. You wanted Nick's reef. I pm'd you back.

Here's a little pic of my little acan lord...

1002495dl1.jpg

All you guys and your crazy colored acans are making me jealous! I can't wait to upgrade to a large tank and be able to get more variety in it...

How can you tell if you have an Aussie or Indo /small acan lord or micromussa?

That's a good question. With a pic I can usually tell but I don't know how to explain how you can tell. Also there is a big price difference. I think micros have smaller polyps. I'm not totally sure, someone out there should know.

That's a good question. With a pic I can usually tell but I don't know how to explain how you can tell. Also there is a big price difference. I think micros have smaller polyps. I'm not totally sure, someone out there should know.

Here's a pic of the one I have a question about. I got in an acan trade and we were trading acan for acan to get different colors. He told me that it would be smaller than mine, and I said no problem. I got it yesterday, the coloring is awesome, and the polyps are small. He also sent me a message saying he hopes it wasn't too small "it's micromussa anyway". Before I caught the micromussa comment, I posted on another forum and some said small acan, some said micromussa. Anyway...I love it, but I'm confused as to what it is! LOL So what do you guys think?

new_stuff_013b.jpg

and here it is next to an acan lord and blastomussa merlettis

acanmerletti.JPG

Wow that's tough. I would have to say a micro. I'm still pretty new with acans so hopefully someone else on here will know. You have some nice stuff there!

Wow that's tough. I would have to say a micro. I'm still pretty new with acans so hopefully someone else on here will know. You have some nice stuff there!

Thanks!

Heres a close up of the one in question and another frag that I got from a different guy yesterday.

post-35886-1216942266_thumb.jpg

post-35886-1216942289_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I need help from the Acan experts!!!

I know how to grow 'em, frag 'em, and keep 'em healthy, but I still have a lot to learn on ID.

Can you guys help me ID these?

Are they common?

Rare?

Thanks for furthering my education!! :happy:

IMG_1698A.jpg

IMG_1707A.jpg

IMG_1696A.jpg

I need help from the Acan experts!!!

I know how to grow 'em, frag 'em, and keep 'em healthy, but I still have a lot to learn on ID.

Can you guys help me ID these?

Are they common?

Rare?

Thanks for furthering my education!! :happy:

IMG_1698A.jpg

IMG_1707A.jpg

IMG_1696A.jpg

ANYONE???

C'mon guys, don't let me down!!!

Sweet acans! I really don't know the color names other than a rainbow but I do know they the are nice looking. What methods do you take to ensure they grow fast besides feeding them?

Just feeding them. They love to eat! :lol: I have 1 that I was holding for someone after my last sale in June. It had 4 heads if I remember right. It now has 7 & a baby or two.

Archived