SaltCritters.com

The Offical Acan Thread!

Ocho Cinco

Sorry guys...SHE :flower: will clarify...

My question is probably more along the lines of what TJ is saying. What is the distinguisable features between the acan lords, echinata, etc. Most of the acans I see for sale online are listed as "orange crush", "rainbows". and other such fancy names. When some are shown as just a single polyp, how would I know what to expect as they grow out. I have the three different types in my tank, and I prefer the larger, more ripply (sp?) polyps, but I don't know what type that is if I ever want to order any more.

I hope that made it a little less confusing.

Sorry!!! I didn't mean to make the assumption that you were a guy :blush:

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I had a decent camera. I would take pictures of my 18+ different acan lords and echinata, some of which are huge colonies.

A pic would help out a lot brandi your description is a little poor, no offense.

When I get home tonight I will get some pics of the ones I do have and everyone can help me distinguish what I have.

TJ- no problem- I have a tendency to do the same!

circusordie16

its fairly easy to tell.

lords: separate polyps. each polyp is its own individual without the edges connected to others. when the polyps are closed up (you can get it do this by blowing water on it, gently, with a turkey baster) you will see a border between the colorful, individual polyps.

echinata: polyps connected to eachother in a sort of mat. there is no definite border between polyps. when closed up the coral will just shrink, there wont be any discernible border around polyps.

you can also tell if its a lord from pictures because the polyps usually have a radially symmetric pattern so you can see the individual polyps from this. the fluffy edges and clear separation between polyps lets you know its a lord.

i dont like acans.

Why? What do you like?

its fairly easy to tell.

lords: separate polyps. each polyp is its own individual without the edges connected to others. when the polyps are closed up (you can get it do this by blowing water on it, gently, with a turkey baster) you will see a border between the colorful, individual polyps.

echinata: polyps connected to eachother in a sort of mat. there is no definite border between polyps. when closed up the coral will just shrink, there wont be any discernible border around polyps.

you can also tell if its a lord from pictures because the polyps usually have a radially symmetric pattern so you can see the individual polyps from this. the fluffy edges and clear separation between polyps lets you know its a lord.

Very nice!!!

here's some of mine

orange and green

DSC01996.jpg

same with atinics

DSC02005.jpg

my favorite you can't really tel from pics but its tentacles has pink tips

DSC02012.jpg

the ones in the front are the rainbows that ocho cinco is talking about. idk know if they're "true" rainbows but they're nice none the less

DSC02011.jpg

in this pic is a couple of echinatas

DSC02007.jpg

oops forgot this pic blurry but you can see the billabongs better in this one

DSC01991.jpg

Carolinapico

I'm a huge acan fan, just never want to shell out the cash to get them. ;)

Heres the only one i have right now :(

Acan3.jpg

Nick's Reef

Ocho, if the rainbows you can get me look like bodytheifs, then hook me up! Those are saweet! just tell me how muc i'd cost me for a single head shipped and i'll see if my parents will let me get em. :D

Also bodytheif, how fast do your rainboes grow?

Ok, not only am I jealous of everyones acans, I'm jealous of your pic skills also!

I can not get good clear shots like that even after 50 tries. Here's the best I have and my main reason for asking the differences because all were bought as acan lords, but their polyps are shaped different and have quiet a difference in size. All of them have the seperate polyps like lords.

DSCF2481-1.jpg

DSCF2504.jpg

GrandpaFeathers
Why? What do you like?

Very nice!!!

i dont know why i dont like them. i just dont like the way they look, no matter what the color is.

I like zoas best of all corals, as well as rics...

Ocho, if the rainbows you can get me look like bodytheifs, then hook me up! Those are saweet! just tell me how muc i'd cost me for a single head shipped and i'll see if my parents will let me get em. :D

those are the exact same ones ocho are talking about i bought them from the store he's talking about. i just got them maybe 2 weeks ago no growth yet

Nick's Reef
those are the exact same ones ocho are talking about i bought them from the store he's talking about. i just got them maybe 2 weeks ago no growth yet

thanks! i can't wait til' ocho sends me some! :D

I won't be going for a while but I'll try. Also he only like to frag no less than 3 heads. I tried to get a single rainbow but he said he can do 3 or more. Mainly because they don't do well as singles.

Are you from MI? If so, where? I've only been there 2 times and love it!

Here is one I just picked up.

Acan8tdmacro.jpg

WOW! I want...

I'm not much of an acan fan but that one is awesome

Thanks!!!

Here is one I just picked up.

Acan8tdmacro.jpg

Stunning right there!!!

Got some pics today - they are kind of crappy. I was playing with the camera trying to get the colors right on the different acans but I don't think I did the best job. A lot of them look better then the pics.

Also I forgot to take a picture of the pastel green acan by itself. But you can see it on the left in the first picture!

AcanCollage.jpg

RedTealRimLord.jpg

GreenKiwiAcan.jpg

BigAcanColony2.jpg

ChocolateAcan.jpg

GreenCenters.jpg

TealReds.jpg

HugePolypLord.jpg

LordPretty.jpg

OrangeCrushEchinata.jpg

RecoveringLord.jpg

RedMicromussa.jpg

I won't be going for a while but I'll try. Also he only like to frag no less than 3 heads. I tried to get a single rainbow but he said he can do 3 or more. Mainly because they don't do well as singles.

Are you from MI? If so, where? I've only been there 2 times and love it!

WOW! I want...

i'm the one who took you there the first time. lol it's me John. yeah i hope i have something to trade for for some of pats one day :D

Archived