ReefCleaners.org

Fiction's 3g Picotope. (Back up and running!)

fiction101

I wandered into a fish store three days ago and fell in love with all the saltwater corals, fish, and cute shrimp/crabs. So I bought a 3g pico! I currently have a freshwater tropical community, but it's stable and I can't really do more with it atm, so I'm really looking forward to my new pico adventure.

To get to the point.. sorry I ramble, but i've read this whole thread and I really like your setup. Coincedently, my tank looks very similar to yours and I was wondering if you could explain your setup a bit more for my noobness, please. The AC70 you use as a fuge, how benefitial is that? (better than the small filter the tank kit comes with?) and how do you convert it into a fuge? I really would love to grow a small array of corals in my pico :-)

thanks

I'm actually not doing a refugium again with that filter, I just stuffed the whole of back it with filter floss and I plan on placing a bag of chemi-pure in it also. I believe el fabuloso's pico ac70 is just filled with filter type pads and his tank has been doing great since it's been up. I've noticed the tank looks a lot cleaner with the filter floss. :)

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah, then maybe i'll just stick with the set up that comes with my kit for now and i'll upgrade it later if it becomes necessary.

Well I would just wait and see how your stable your nitrate levels are, if you don't have any nitrate issues or any bad algae forming in your tank, there really isn't any need for cheato.

Well I would just wait and see how your stable your nitrate levels are, if you don't have any nitrate issues or any bad algae forming in your tank, there really isn't any need for cheato.

ah ok, so cheato in a fuge is used for helping with the nitrate levels? That makes sense. I thought it's main goal was to help put good bacteria into the sand bed, or keep good bacteria circulating. If I were to get a seahorse and put some grass in the front (The grass helping with the nitrates, not the seahorse, obviously), would that also help with nitrate levels? Or is getting a seahorse and grass for it ridiculous in a 3g pico?

nevermind about the seahorse, you already answered a similar question I asked in a differen thread haha

I added a small gsp frag and blue clove frag plus a pretty nice neon green torch (lps in pico's worry me though).

DSCN1216.jpg

DSCN1218.jpg

Goby and sexy shrimp. :)

DSCN1223.jpg

Your pico looks so nice and clean! I love that shroom! The color looks really nice in the picture. Nice LR arrangment too. Are you going to put a goby or other fish in there, or just corals and shrimp/crab?

Your pico looks so nice and clean! I love that shroom! The color looks really nice in the picture. Nice LR arrangment too. Are you going to put a goby or other fish in there, or just corals and shrimp/crab?

The yellow watchmen goby is the only fish that will be in the tank until it out grows it, then I might just do a yellow clown goby.

The tank is looking awesome, that torch is getting big

Ya, it's a lot bigger then I thought it would be but I was told that the current heads wont get any bigger they just form new ones instead.

Archived