Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fiction's 3g Picotope. (Back up and running!)

fiction101

Nothing new to report, just a few new photo's.

Blenny peeking out from its favorite spot.

blenny.jpg

Updated fts.

new-3.jpg

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really love those Daisy polyps on the top. I bought a tiny TINY frag from a fellow nano-reef.com member, but it has all but completely died ... it arrived in horrible condition.

Ever consider fragging some and selling 'em? :)

I really love those Daisy polyps on the top. I bought a tiny TINY frag from a fellow nano-reef.com member, but it has all but completely died ... it arrived in horrible condition.

Ever consider fragging some and selling 'em? :)

Unfortunately, that rock is pretty much stuck at that spot. The root system from the daisy's have attached all around the rocks and to the back of the wall so I can't move it.

Yourreef.com sells perfectly healthy daisy polyp frags for around $25, I've seen them in person and they look great. Healthy colonies grow super fast, you can see a little grp of them in the left center of my tank. That started off as 2 little shriveled polyps, as long as they don't have any algae build up around the stalks of them they will do great. By the way, did you get your money back from who ever you bought them from?

Looking good fiction. Told you those snowflake polyps would spread like a weed. Spread fast for such a short time!

Looking good fiction. Told you those snowflake polyps would spread like a weed. Spread fast for such a short time!

Thanks. :)

I have those little suckers popping up all over the place now, lone polyps will appear in random places around the tank. :D

I ended up ordering another 50/50 bulb to replace my dual actinic bulb, my pink palys haven't shown any sign of growth and the polyps don't seem to fully expand so hopefully another 9w of 10k will help out. Then I can finally start picking up some nice paly frags.

isnt that the same as a 10k and a 50/50 or is the blue side of hte 50/50 420nm?

im thinking of running a 50/50 and Actinic...hmmm maybe ill wait and see how yours looks

What kind of 50/50 bulbs?

The ones that Current sells only have the 460nm actinic and not the 420nm that really make the colors shine.

isnt that the same as a 10k and a 50/50 or is the blue side of hte 50/50 420nm?

im thinking of running a 50/50 and Actinic...hmmm maybe ill wait and see how yours looks

Right now I'm running a 50/50 and dual Actinic. The growth and color's have been good on the clove and daisy polyps but the palys and favia really need more white light it seems. I'm hoping the colors will be more spread out and a little better then having the original dual daylight/dual actinic setup.

On another note, I'm thinking about suspending a 16.5" 70w sunpod over it (once I find one of course)! ;)

What kind of 50/50 bulbs?

The ones that Current sells only have the 460nm actinic and not the 420nm that really make the colors shine.

The current usa bulb. That's the only combo I could find.

Still waiting on parts to come in. It's like pulling teeth for anything to come out of China quickly!

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like my picotope will be coming to an end real soon, now that money is no longer a major issue I've decided to upgrade to a 12g AP w/sunpod. It was fun while it lasted but was also a pita! :P

I'm not sure how I should move everything, like if I need to cycle the 12g or if I can just move the all the water from my 3g and be done with it?

On another note, I plan on bringing back all my sexy shrimp since they wont stop picking at my corals. They keep killing my blue cloves and my acan frag. I feed them everyday, yet they wont ever stop picking at them!

Well I didn't care for the AP12, it's really not as large as I thought it would be so I took it back. My 16.5" 70w sunpod just arrived so I thought I'd give it try on my 3g! It's overkill at the moment, but I plan on ordering the hanging kit to raise it up.

sunpod-2.jpg

sunpod2.jpg

The colors are a thousand times better obviously and make me realize how bad pc's really are. :o

Whats even more sad is that the Current USA bulbs are about as good as it gets too.

I bought blue tubs and joker palys last week, which haven't opened at all. They weren't responding at all to the PC's, I guess in some part due to them coming from a tank with 400w MH.

• 2 weeks later...
clownfish1124

wow fiction! love the new light, even though it looks huge over your pico. is it just me or did the cloves look more neon with your other lights??? also are you gonna try some sps of some sort???

wow fiction! love the new light, even though it looks huge over your pico. is it just me or did the cloves look more neon with your other lights??? also are you gonna try some sps of some sort???

I ended up taking the light off, evaporation/heat was crazy. The colors were a hundred times better then pc.

For some reason my neon green cloves have been slowly melting polyp by polyp, so most are gone from my tank. Unfortunately it's now turning into mostly a macro algae/daisy polyp tank. I'm done putting money into it, I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope the remaining corals will survive. :mellow:

DSCN0942.jpg

Just wondering. 36 watt of PC but 70 watts MH. If there was a way to have 70 watts pc wouldn't that make the coral colors pop more also. I know some of it has to do with par but 34 more watts is almost double. Is it just me or is that possibly a big part of the difference?

edit: Oh yeah I love your tank! Also love the cloves. I have two type of cloves in my tank one is called papya something they have flourecent orange.

Very nice

Archived