Pod Your Reef

Fiction's 3g Picotope. (Back up and running!)

fiction101

hey fiction.. any news on the 50/50 bulb?? i can get one on ebay if you dont want to sell me yours.. but its gonna cost about @20bucks

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just wondering. 36 watt of PC but 70 watts MH. If there was a way to have 70 watts pc wouldn't that make the coral colors pop more also. I know some of it has to do with par but 34 more watts is almost double. Is it just me or is that possibly a big part of the difference?

The extra wattage will help the corals grow faster, but won't change the coloring like you are thinking. It's the wavelengths of light that are emmited from the bulb that make the difference in color. MH emmits far more light towards the UV end of the spectrum, causing the corals to fluoresce, or "pop". PC's aren't very good at this. The true actinic 03's are about as close as you can get (420nm), but they are still dominant in the visible purple light spectrum.

To cut it short, 70W PC does not equal 70W of MH.

• 2 weeks later...

I sold all my corals, live rock, and macro algae. Since I've decided to start the tank over again, I had a old piece of left over live rock that had been sitting in a bucket for a few months so I'm using that piece plus I kept a few little frags of daisy/blue clove polyps. I was given a free bubble tip anemone that split, I figured it was worth a shot since my tank is over 4 months old. I over loaded it with too many corals last time, so I'm going with the plain and simple route. ;)

New-4.jpg

New1.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii162/a...01/DSCN0958.jpg

i like the new look. simple and clean

Thanks. :)

I'm not sure how this nem will do good in a 3g, people say they expel a lot of waste but so far so good plus my sexy shrimp seems to enjoy sitting on it. :lol:

While I really like the look of a filled up tank, it just seemed like too much work to try and maintain everything in such a small space. Hopefully now I can control myself and stop rearranging my tank every other day. :D

I love your 3 gal :flower: My 3 Gal is on its way should be here sometime next week. Where did you buy the light? Link? I got it to culture copepods for my mandarin. But now that he is training to eat other stuff maybe I can use the tank to make a small reef.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I got bored, so I decided to bring back my picotope. I'm using the same set up as last time, except at the moment I'm using the stock 9w light until I order another dual satellite fixture. :D

This tank as been up and running for a little over 4 weeks now, for livestock I have a yellow watchmen goby and a sexy shrimp, along with red mushrooms, cloves, and red palys.

DSCN1205.jpg

DSCN1202.jpg

DSCN1203.jpg

I agree. Aquascaping looks awesome... I love the pico!!

In a previous comment, you mentioned after decided to go with the 12G instead of the pico... that the pico was a PITA. What about it was such a pain? Do you still feel that way? I'm considering a pico...

In a previous comment, you mentioned after decided to go with the 12G instead of the pico... that the pico was a PITA. What about it was such a pain? Do you still feel that way? I'm considering a pico...

Picos most definetly can be a PITA, but they are fun and I reccomend you start one and may I suggest a 5.5gallon cuz u will run out of space with the 3's and under.

Yes, but only because it can be harder to keep livestock alive when compared to a larger tank. The main thing is not to over stock it, I went over board and put in too many types of corals and it just didn't work out with many of them.

Justin_Freebords

the only pita i have had with mine is remembering to top off often. Otherwise my only complaint is i want more room for coral heh

I wandered into a fish store three days ago and fell in love with all the saltwater corals, fish, and cute shrimp/crabs. So I bought a 3g pico! I currently have a freshwater tropical community, but it's stable and I can't really do more with it atm, so I'm really looking forward to my new pico adventure.

To get to the point.. sorry I ramble, but i've read this whole thread and I really like your setup. Coincedently, my tank looks very similar to yours and I was wondering if you could explain your setup a bit more for my noobness, please. The AC70 you use as a fuge, how benefitial is that? (better than the small filter the tank kit comes with?) and how do you convert it into a fuge? I really would love to grow a small array of corals in my pico :-)

thanks

amazing! how do you keep you sandbed so clean?

I siphoned out the front sand bed and clean it with fresh saltwater after the cycle was over since it was covered with so much crap, I didn't see an ammonia spike so I might do it again in a month or two.

Archived