Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fiction's 3g Picotope. (Back up and running!)

fiction101

I just ordered a 12" 18w current satellite fixture from petsolutions for only $34. Drsfostersmith sell them for around $60 so it seems like a great deal.

I just ordered that same light from that same e-tailer, came to about $43 shipped. Gonna use it to tide me over till I can put LEDs over my tank. Maybe we can compare notes on the light. If I keep it long enough, I may end up modding it with a small internal fan, the Current USA site shows it to not have one, and I bet it'd cut down on some heat and evaporation. I'm not sure if this light can support candy-canes or not, I've only kept zoas and mushrooms in my two tanks so far, waiting on LEDs till I go up from there. I DO however have a small colony of GSP under the stock lights in my NC 12, they seem to be doing pretty good, their arms seem a bit short, but hope they will fill out some with time.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to redo the live rock so I bought a few pounds of new rock yesterday. I did a minimalist aquascape this time around.

P1010429.jpg

P1010428.jpg

that looks pretty good. how is the coverage with just one bulb? it looks dark on the right side.

I moved the light in front of the tank and tilted the bulb so now it has better coverage. I'm actually using my singe satellite with it to produce a nice 14k look, it looks like I have a metal halide running over it. It makes you realize how dull the PC light is.

P1010453.jpg

I'm real curious to know how your corals will react to this.

I'm still experimenting with settings on my LED light that will work best for my 10" cube.

I'm real curious to know how your corals will react to this.

I'm still experimenting with settings on my LED light that will work best for my 10" cube.

I'll be keeping a close eye on my zoas to make sure they don't bleach out. I'm hoping my one sps colors up under it.

I'm finally content with the position of the light. :)

P1010454.jpg

P1010455.jpg

I wish there was a way to capture the true colors of leds, it's crazy how much brighter and clearer it is in person.

I wish there was a way to capture the true colors of leds, it's crazy how much brighter and clearer it is in person.

I have the same problem, as do others who use LEDs.

I found the using Photobuckets editing tools helps, although I still haven't gotten pics quite to where I want them.

In Photobucket I click on "edit", "see much more", then I adjust hue, saturation, and light/darkness.

HTH.

Were you not getting the coverage you wanted with the single bulb?

It looks really nice without the single satellite but it does help fill it the darker spots that you get with the spot light effect of the par38. Running both lights really gives it a crisp 14k type look. Plus now I have the option of running either dual actinic or dual daylight bulbs in the single satellite if I want.

Do you think gettin' the 80 degree optics would help with the light spread? It looks good enough even with the PAR38 alone from the pics...

Do you think gettin' the 80 degree optics would help with the light spread? It looks good enough even with the PAR38 alone from the pics...

I'm not sure how much of a difference the different optics help out, but I think the 60 degree is perfect for 12" across. I think no matter what optics you get you'll still the same spot light effect.

I'm not sure how much of a difference the different optics help out, but I think the 60 degree is perfect for 12" across. I think no matter what optics you get you'll still the same spot light effect.

How far away is the light from the top of the tank with the 60 degree?

sweet. like to see a closeup of the chalice once it acclimates.

I think it's called an alien eye chalice or something like that, its considered a lower end chalice since it grows fast. I bet the higher end chalices would look amazing under led.

I'm very curious to find out how the rainbow monti does under the par38 bulb, hopin it maintains its colors.

Archived