Top Shelf Aquatics

Free Starter Frag Pack Giveaway

Weetabix7

SaltWaterNewb

Mercuryne - let me get that mantis identified and if it is something that would work in my tank I would take it off your hands when you catch it. If not, I know lots of folks that probably would so that way you at least have a home for it.

Weetabix - I don't envy you right now having to make this decision. I really do like that you are giving preference to noobs that have contributed to the board in some way. I was excited to get up this morning to see who won even though I am not in the running. Darn you for the suspense.... :D

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NO MORE ENTRIES!!!

Cut-off time was at 12 pm CST last night.

(Sorry bluepanda, I needed to have that info by 12 last night.:( )

I will be doing a drawing at 5 pm tonight, EST to see who wins.

BibleSue is contributing some stuff too, so there will be 2 winners instead of one, YAY!!!

Also, for those enquiring about buying a pack, this is not for sale. I've already sold everything I was going to sell, this is just a few extra things I wanted to give away.

I believe BibleSue still has a few frags for sale in a thread in the Livestock Classified Forum.

on a side note, it is pretty nice of the individuals involved in this little 'raffel' if you will. i belong to several different kind of forums and this is the only one that has ever done something like this. i have given away a few tech parts here n there but its quite uncommon in general.

so regardless of who gets some stuff at least we got a chance so that is nice

thanks to everyone involved, hopefully this will become a nice little trend in the future too

:grouphug:

on a side note, it is pretty nice of the individuals involved in this little 'raffel' if you will. i belong to several different kind of forums and this is the only one that has ever done something like this. i have given away a few tech parts here n there but its quite uncommon in general.

so regardless of who gets some stuff at least we got a chance so that is nice

thanks to everyone involved, hopefully this will become a nice little trend in the future too

:grouphug:

Totally agree....this was fun to watch last night. Thankful to be in the final group and would love to win, but more than that, its nice to see people being involved..

We should get together and do a big raffle every so often.

maybe you have an extra heater, or a power head or something you could donate.

We could put it all together and do the raffle for people that are brand new and need help.

W

hen i first started using this site, most people were nice, but some acted like they knew it all and were somewhat nasty with their dispersal of information. Weety's giveaway has made people feel comfortable and its also exposed some threads and tanks of people that might have otherwise stayed in the background.

This site has been such a great source of information about Reefing, and this little contest has gone a long way to further that idea.

totally, its nice to see the forum working together! Once my tank has stuff growing I'll def break the frags off or whatever it might be to give to people on the forum who are just starting out.

Haha Mercuryne,

I agree with bringing people and their tanks out that otherwise wouldn't post them up. But can you blame us? I mean look at the tanks on the final list :happy:

The free advice on NR is by far the best resource I've had for my tank, and people like Weetabix who go that extra step in helping beginners out makes it that much sweeter. A little kindness can go a long way in today's world.

Robert

SmokingReefer

I think rnewhou and Md's Finest have the most pitiful tanks. Sorry everybody else but its the truth. Congrats to whoever wins.

i hope its not who ever has the most PITIFUL tank lol

i would think it would be the tank that has the most potential for the coral being in a good home and having the most potential.

since i got my new refractometer i think i am going to give away my hydrometer since they are ultra overpriced anyways. i just need to dial my new toy in and get use to it first.

i hope its not who ever has the most PITIFUL tank lol

i would think it would be the tank that has the most potential for the coral being in a good home and having the most potential.

since i got my new refractometer i think i am going to give away my hydrometer since they are ultra overpriced anyways. i just need to dial my new toy in and get use to it first.

qbical..

i too just bought a refractometer.. so i will toss in my hydrometer for the next Raffle

I think rnewhou and Md's Finest have the most pitiful tanks. Sorry everybody else but its the truth. Congrats to whoever wins.

At least I have pretty purple algae :lol: We all gotta start somewhere :happy:

qbical..

i too just bought a refractometer.. so i will toss in my hydrometer for the next Raffle

right on man, which refracto. did u pick up. i got the RHB-32ATC (blue box)

arwndsh is donating a portion of chaeto for this drawing as well, so as of right now we have a free frag pack from me, a free frag pack from BibleSue and a chaeto portion from arwndsh.

If there are any other members who would like to chip another n00b frag pack, let me know.

For those who do win this, I would just ask that you post pics of your new stuff in your tank and consider starting a tank thread and more actively participating in the N-R community. When you have a tank thread, it gives you a great place to ask questions about your own system and get good feedback on it as well.

This is a great community to be a part of, with many people who will go out of their way to help and support you. Yeah, there are some people who will shoot you down too, but hey, that's life, it's not like it's any different in "The Real World". Actually, I would say that I get more support and encouragement from people here than I do IRL. I have had many people who have given me way more than what I am giving out here, and this is just my way of giving back and encouraging new people to become a more active part of what I feel is a very special and unique thing we have going on here at N-R.

For those who stick around, we actually have some core members who regularly give out freebies like this. What I am doing here is not new or unusual for N-R!

Also, I like Mercuryne's idea and think it would be great if we could come up with a practical way for some of us to donate extra equipment for "Reefers In Need". If anyone has any practical suggestions towards that, post away.

I will be going out shortly and may not get back exactly at 5, but will try to hold the drawing as close to that as possible.

You can have my hydrometer! I just got a refractometer. It's the RHSN-10ATC. How did we ever go by the swing arm thing???? Way off.

Isn't amazing how this hobby keeps you spending and spending and spending...... :wacko:

Just picked up an RO unit and hubby will be installing it this weekend. And I keep spending and spending and spending......

right on man, which refracto. did u pick up. i got the RHB-32ATC (blue box)

me too.. i calibrated it and my salinity reading was about a point lower with the refracto than it was with the hydrometer.. i'll be interested to see how yours compare.

You can have my hydrometer! I just got a refractometer. It's the RHSN-10ATC. How did we ever go by the swing arm thing???? Way off.

Isn't amazing how this hobby keeps you spending and spending and spending...... :wacko:

Just picked up an RO unit and hubby will be installing it this weekend. And I keep spending and spending and spending......

Hazmat.. agreed on the spending..

Would love to see the details of the RO/DI install..with photos if you can do.. i am agonizing over which to buy but i have to soon....tired of hauling water.. what did you buy?

Hazmat.. agreed on the spending..

Would love to see the details of the RO/DI install..with photos if you can do.. i am agonizing over which to buy but i have to soon....tired of hauling water.. what did you buy?

I'm gonna be getting a RO/DI too, either tonight or tomorrow. I'm leaning strongly towards the Mighty Mite from airwaterice right now, but haven't totally decided.

Well, I'm glad to have made the final list! Thanks for taking a look at my tanks and thinking they have potential! I'm in South Carolina right now (I live in Des Moines, Iowa), on a college visit to Clemson University. We flew down here through Atlanta and got to Atlanta at about 9 this morning. After breakfast we were at the aquarium for a good 3 hours!

Overall I'd say the tanks are WAY overcrowded there! And I didn't see any live rock in the tanks! But of course I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to keep a tank clean.

I did see a Moorish Idol in their Tropical Diver section. It actually looked fat and I witnessed it munching on a lettuce head. Beautiful fish, and I never knew they could be kept in captivity. I had always heard that it wasn't even possible for public aquariums to keep them, but I'm obviously mistaken. Maybe they can be kept in such a big tank like the one it was in. Their reef section was actually all softies. They didn't-or maybe I just didn't see any- LPS or SPS corals. I saw some GSP, tons of leathers, and zoa's, but nothing else. The leather corals were gigantic though. And the viewing window kind of let you look straight up through the top of the water, and they had TONS of MH fixtures over the tank, along with a skylight, so I'm sure it's possible to keep hard corals in it.

We looked online for the RO unit but since we stopped at Home Depot we went ahead and picked up a GE Smartwater Reverse Osmosis system.

Figured by the time we ordered with shipping it might end up costing us the same amount. And if anything is wrong with it we can return it here. I'll get pictures up as soon as it's installed. Yes, I also did not want to keep making those trips to the LFS.

I also have a little garden of Venus Fly traps. They need to be watered with distilled water only. I've been buying gallons for two years. So YEA!!!! Now I don't have to worry about running out of water for my plants either. Double bonus!! :happydance:

Okay, here we go!!!

I was actually able to come up with enough stuff for a second free frag pack, so we have 3 winners.

And the winners are....

drumrollplease.jpg

drumroll.gif

rnewhou

O-man21

volupte79

hasselhoff.jpg

I will contact the winners later by PM to arrange payment for shipping costs and shipping times, etc.

Thanks to everyone who participated!

Sorry to hijack but you asked to see a pic of my bubble frag and I posted it. I just wanted to see what you thought and couldn't seem to get you to look anyother way. Heres the link:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=151293

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I saw it, I just didn't have anything helpful to say.

Archived