Top Shelf Aquatics

Free Starter Frag Pack Giveaway

Weetabix7

Awsome!! frags!! Id be so lucky to try and find some frags like thosw out here in New Mexcio.. oh yah they'd prob be way too expensive so I have no choice but to deal with paying waaaayyy tooo much or drive home to Los Angeles and see what they got... lol.. yah it sux! So

So after my tank crashed last year and I lost everything (something in the water) I am now finally starting back up ($$$ has hampered me unfortunately, the U.S.A.F doesnt pay very well..lol..so i get what I can..) Now for my entry.....tank is a 20L, set-up Jan1, 2008! Using simple coralife aqualights total of 130x of 50/50, hib filter and 2 nano koralia pumps, only one runs at a time (havent gotten the right flow combo yet) inside... a rock with some mushrooms and star polyps (dont ask how much :o ) a Xenia (again dont ask) some zoo's and a montipora, oy ya some coral that was sold to me as a colt, come to find out its a carnation..I already kissed it goodbye..it's dying.

FYI.. anyone intrested in donating a frag or 2 or selling for cheap please let me know I really have limited options.

0326082140c.jpg

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
YGPM.

45 mins. til the deadline, any last minute entries?

well heck let me jump in....

My tank was started end of Jan.

started as a goldfish tank for my son, but i've always wanted a reef tank and my wife consented.

I quickly became a hoover for information read everything. and cant get enough

specs

28G nanocube HQI

150 W MH Lighting and Led Moonlights

removed spnge and balls

added floss

upgraded heater,

skimming for about a month now and drawing quite a bit of tea.

24 pounds of Fiji LR

20of Live sand

I screwed up and totally noobed out with tap water to fill the first time. got roasted and flamed by every body.

battled Massive Algae for weeks .. finally defeated it...(almost gave up but didnt)

DSC00561.jpg

I cycled in about 4 weeks but waited a while longer to add fish or coral.

all reading in line

0 ammonia

0 Trites

small bit of Trates but really not amounting to much. (need to change my floss)

ive been diligent with WC and cleaning.

1 have one True Perc

Modest CUC astrea's

1 Huge Mexican Turbo

4 Cowrie's

a few small blue legged hermits

2 red legged hermits

1 sand sifting star

oh and Pods everywhere. they just showed up one day on the glass.. I though someone had babies.. ha

NEWB!

AND

a hitch hiking Mantis that refuses to be caught in a number of traps. and killed my peppermint shrimp

Truth be told the Mantis is why my tank is so bare.. i dont want to add anything else till he's gone.[/b

MantisCruising.jpg

lots of hitch hiking life

sponges, dusters, etc.

i added

1 Branching Frogspawn

6 heads of green candy canes on one skeleton

and 1 red mushroom

afraid to add anything else till i catch the rascally mantis shrimp

FTS

FTS.jpg

I love the hobby and have learned much from many.

thats my story and i'm sticking to it.

would be honored to have some Weety frags reside in my algae farm

Wow! I'm actually nervous!!

It's actually a very nice thing for you to do for one of us. Especially when you look at other people's awesome tanks here and yes...I do feel pitifull.

But being pitifull might be in my favor at this point :P .

Thanks for putting me in the running! Anxiously waiting........

If it's not too late, I'd also like to jump in here. I have two tanks that have been set-up for about two months now. A 6 gallon and a 2.5 gallon. The 2.5 has one tiny mushroom in it and the 6 has some Anthelia, Xenia, shrooms, 3 polyps ov\f unknown zoas, and GSP. Both are doing great and were successfully cycles before anything was added. I'm also a high school senior taking a Marie Biology class, which started me with my two tanks, and I'm learning tons. More from this site though actually! My point is though, I'm poor. Not to go for the pity vote, but I'm poor and I'm a huge fan of zoas! There is more info about the tanks in my signature, this is just a little overview.

Sorry, forgot to add the test results. I jsut did a water change in both tanks today, because I'm going out of town and will be gone until Saturday morning (visiting the Georgia Aquarium!), and tested before and after the changes. Sorry, I didn't take pictures of the tests, because I just now found this thread, but I can assure you this is what my results were.

These were the results for both tanks. The little tank is in the 75-7 degree range, and the big one is in the 78-80 degree range.

Amm: 0

Nitrite:0

Nitrate: 0-5

Ph:8.2

Spec.Gr:1.025

6 Gallon:

1 Pep shrimp

1 Perc Clown

1 Green Clown Goby

2 Turbos

3 Astreas

1 Cerith

3 DBL hermits

8 lbs LR

10 Lbs LS

2.5 Gal:

3.4 lbs LR

4 lbs LS

1 Mush

Here are pictures of the two. The pico actually has another pound of live rock since these pictures were taken, so it's good to go for some new additions.

march23fishpictures009ek8.jpg

march23fishpictures006ch3.jpg

march23fishpictures002to6.jpg

starin at screen.. wondering if i made the list....

haaa

so much fun

when this is over.. i say we elect Weety Mayor of NanoReef.com (not a suck up comment.. she's just the best. and always helpful to everyone)

Pssst Weety.. (i'll give you a mantis shrimp.. free of charge if you pick me) haaaaaaaaa

I think KJoFan is a stong competitor in this competition. I can attest that she has really done her reasearch. She has been very patient on waiting for her cycle, and as you can see has no livestock in her tank. I know she put alot of work into her setup, not to mention money.

edit: This is a very generous thing you are doing.

kermitthedaniel

well i think i might try. last minute entry. my tank has been up for 2 months now, everything is ready to go.ive got 2 bulbs running on it with 1 FL bulb also in the background, one of the first bulbs is blue give its a nice look not a nasty 5000k like my other bulbs running, i think it might bring it up to a 5500k look. i cycled my tank with live sand from another tank and have about 0.25 pounds in it, thats pushing it though. ive got an aquaclear 30 on the side with carbon and sponge. my readings are as follows

Amm- 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

ph 8.2

salinity 1.025

here is a pic of it.

Hahahahah im totally kidding thats not my tank. well it is but it was a QT tank but i havent added anything for a while and havent taken everything off of it yet. but seriously weetie props to you man PROPS TO YOU. you guys make this site worth coming too. oh and also i live in canada, so shipping would probably be more too.

no worries im got lots and i hope that the right person gets those frags.

here is a pic of my tank in mar 12/08 i think its about 2 months old at this point.

I don't mean to look lazy by saying that there is more information in my signature like I did in my post ^ up there. I just took a good 30-45 minutes to explain my situation in the link that is in my signature, so I hope it accurately describes my tanks and their progress.

kermitthedaniel

how much time left...... man im getting so nervous. i wonder if i'll will win. weetie hasnt eliminated me yet.

Hey! I was just browsing the forums (being creepy and not posting on threads, just reading, :happy: and I found this thread... definately a really great thing you're doing!

So I'm going to sleep soon, but if I'm in the running (you mentioned a deadline of midnight), then pleas PM me, or post on your thread, and I'll send you my tank's specs.

Thanks again for helping everyone (someone?) out!

er1c_the_reefer

lol to noobs... i was starting to feel guilty about not giving away to newbies. hoorah for covering the silent majority

Kermitthedaniel, I can't ship to Canada, sorry!!

I am going to do a drawing at 5 pm EST tomorrow.

Here is the final list I will be drawing from:

hazmat

brian92

Md's Finest

rnewhou

airangel

ICEige

kmitch

qbical

Slick66

Crabbeo

KJoFan

Mercuryne

O-man21

chazde3

volupte79

So you'll just have to twiddle your thumbs some more!!!

Veshman, I had to have all of the information by 12, so I'm afraid that eliminates you.

its only 10:54 pm on the pacific coast! wessssssssside!

edit i just saw CST. lol

lol, that exactly what I was thinking

Reefer-tron

a hitch hiking Mantis that refuses to be caught in a number of traps. and killed my peppermint shrimp

Truth be told the Mantis is why my tank is so bare.. i dont want to add anything else till he's gone.[/b

MantisCruising.jpg

Mercuryne, wow he is way cool! I almost wish I had one destroying all living things in my tank :D

My internet went down before i could include this was my first SW tank and all my stats were at 0,and ph at 8 and sal at 1.022 right now,temp. 78 degree.Good luck to everyone again.......

I have a few small frags left from the breakdown of my prop tank and am putting together a frag pack to give away.

I would prefer to give these to a newer member who has a cycled tank but not much in it yet, just to help them get started. If you're not a newer member you can still enter, but I'll tell you up front that I won't give this to you if you have a decent bit of stuff in your tank already.

To enter for the giveaway, please post a pic of your tank and include your tank specs and start-up date.

I will give unapologetic preference to n00bs who have demonstrated a desire to learn about and care for their tanks responsibly, and to members who have made positive contributions to the N-R community, however small.

Whoever gets this will have to pay for shipping costs. $10 for Priority Shipping or $25 for USPS Express shipping.

I haven't decided for sure yet how I'll pick the recipient. I may start a poll, I may have a drawing, and I may just pick someone, dunno yet. I'm open to suggestions on that.

For the moment I'm just taking entries.

Deadline for entering this is 12 midnight tonight, CST.

Remember, to qualify you need to post a pic of your tank, it's start up date, and your tank specs such as lighting, filtration, LR, etc.

I will be giving away small frags of the following:

DSCN1868.jpg

DSCN0922.jpg

DSCN0882.jpg

RSCN0788.jpg

I may have some chaeto I can throw in as well, I'll know that for sure tomorrow.

These are not big, flashy frags, but they are good, hardy starter frags.

Hi I am very interested in this frag pack if it's still available... I started my 12 gallon nano about 2 months ago and I am trying to find some bright colored corals... So far I only have a couple of FL ricordeas and some xenia... How much would it be for shipping to 33411?

Wow, I'm sorry someone gave you bad advice.

I haven't worked there (or lived in S. Fl for that matter!) since '98 or so, so I don't know the people there now. When I was working there, almost all of the people were very knowledgeable and they had the best prices and selection on supplies as well.

Do you know if Scott or Martha still work there? Martha does FW and Scott does SW.

On another note, you say you had a very fast cycle, but could you possibly tell me what your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH is right now?

Absolutely!

PH 8.2

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate under 10 (I am due for a water change tomorrow)

As for Scott and Martha, I don't know anyones name there, but I can ask around for you.

Absolutely!

PH 8.2

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate under 10 (I am due for a water change tomorrow)

As for Scott and Martha, I don't know anyones name there, but I can ask around for you.

Woops! I just saw you already had your final list. Thanks for the consideration and at least I am not a silent lurker anymore!! :P

Gourami Swami

I want in!

DSC_0028.jpg

15g tank, setup for a month with a packet of bio-spira and doing very well. It is stable as far as I can see from my tests. I only have a 14w compact fluorescent on it now as I am waiting on a 65w compact fluorescent fixture to come. I may also upgrade to a 70w Metal Halide to keep SPS. I use a koralia 1 powerhead, and I have an AQ30 filter. I have a royal gramma and a coral banded shrimp.

AWW man, I thought the cutoff was TONIGHT at 12! Ah well, grats to whomever wins.

Archived