Top Shelf Aquatics

Free Starter Frag Pack Giveaway

Weetabix7

Please give them to me. My wife is pregnant and cranky and will not let me buy any coral as it is an 'unnecessary expense' :-(

Also the company I was working for abruptly shut down with no notice and I was not working for a month. My house also flooded a week before christmas (luckily my tank survived).

My tank has been set up for 6 months and has been very stable.

-Scott

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My new prop tank is less than 2 month old. Does that count?

DSCN1235.jpg

I could always post a picture of my old prop tank (24g) that I am doing for my son in law. He's a REAL noob. Will that count? Or is family excluded?????????????

Way to go Weetie!

thumbs_up_spongebob.gif

OK I'll participate

Tank: NC12dx

Filtration: filter floss, stock filter sponges, lots of carbon, stock ceramic rings

Water Movement : Just the filter pump but in a week I'm getting a Hydor Koralia Nano

Lighting: Stock NC lighting 2X 24W 50/50 bulbs In a couple of weeks I'm going to upgrade to a 150W Viper HQI light

Tank Age: almost 3 months

Live Rock: Indonesian

Parameters: PH 8.2, KH 8.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Phosphate 0, Calcium 480

Inverts: 4 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit crabs (clibanarius sp.), 2 Margarita snails (margarites pupillus), 1 Orange Cat-eye snail (turbo sp.), 2 Astrea snails (astraea tecta)

Fish: None

SPS: 3 Frags of Birds nest coral (seriatopora hystrix), 1 Fiji Green Polyped Acropora (acropora rosaria) , 1 small frag of Fiji Green Polyped Acropora (acropora rosaria)

LPS: 1 Moon coral (favia sp.)

Soft coral: 1 Frogspawn cora (euphyllia paradivisa)

Polyps: 3 frags of Hawks Eye Zooanthids (zooanthus sp.)

Pics:

Picture079.jpg

Astrea snail

Picture081.jpg

Orange Cat Eye snail

Picture056.jpg

Dwarf Red Tip Hermit crab

Picture123.jpg

Hawks Eye Zooanthids

Picture127.jpg

Birds Nest coral

Picture128.jpg

Frogspawn coral

Picture132.jpg

Moon coral

Picture131.jpg

Fiji Green Polyped Acropora

Picture133.jpg

Top Down

Picture136.jpg

Left View

Picture135.jpg

Right View

Picture134.jpg

Full Tank Shot

Hi Weetabix7!

It's great that you're doing this for beginners :D ! Here is my entry:

It's a 2.5 gallon glass aquarium with a built-in .5 gallon sump. LR and LS were purchased from local reefers, and it has been set up and stable for 1.5 months.

Full Tank Shot:

2250113570081539356S500x500Q85.jpg

Equipment:

PC Lighting (9w actinic & 9w 10,000k)

50w Tetra Heater

Rio 90 Pump (80 gph potential, reduced using small ball valve)

Sponge (Mechanical Filtration)

Activated Carbon (Hidden in refillable packs inside the sponge)

4 lbs Live Rock (purchased from an established tank)

3 lbs Live Sand (donated from an established tank)

Current Inhabitants:

1 Florida Ricordea

CUC (1 Astrea, 1 Red Leg, 1 Blue Leg)

Not Pictured Changes:

Macro algae (freebie from LFS)

Removed both mojano anemones based on advice from a fellow reefer

Black background

Parameters as of 3/26/08:

Temperature: 79 F

Salinity: 1.024

pH: 8.2

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: <5.0 ppm

Maintenance:

Weekly: 20% water change, carbon refill, and sponge cleaning

Daily: glass cleaning and top off

It's set up in my dorm at Clemson and attracts a lot of attention from my hallmates. I've been looking for frags to fill it up, but finding things that are 1. Cheap (college hasn't been very kind to my wallet :( ) and 2. Small (there's not much real estate when your tank measures 12x8x6) is very difficult. Add a 45 minute drive to Greenville for the closest LFS with corals and the extra gas cost really adds up :bling: .

I appreciate your consideration, and good luck to everyone ! It's great that you're helping beginners like myself get started with the hobby!

Thanks again!

Robert

PS I have PayPal so shipping costs won't be an issue :happy:

Reefer-tron

Securing a spot pictures will be up after I'm done with classes for the day.

Tank is a JBJ NC6 which was started on 2/3/2008

Mods:

1st chamber: Removed 1/3 of sponge and replaced with filter floss

2nd chamber: Removed bio-balls, ceramic rings, and charcoal / keeps my 50W Jager heater and purigen

3rd chamber: stock pump

Lighting: Finally got my other 18W bulb into the hood so I now have 36W of pc lighting

Tank started out with 7lbs live rock from Sho Tank (Chicago Ill. area) and recieved 5gallons of water from friends 180 gallon. Used extra fine sand and also have RODI that makes my water for the tank.

Inverts:

2 blue leg hermits

2 scarlet hermits

1 zebra hermit

1 red leg hermit

3 cerith snails

2 astrea snails

1 trochuss snail

1 margarita snail

2 nassarius snails

1 pink and white feather duster

1 pink rockflower anenome (wasn't doing good in tank it was in so I purchased it for $10 in hopes I can make it healthy)

Fish:

My baby occ. clown

Whitestriped coral goby

Corals:

was fortunate to get some freebies and also got some corals from sharkys

?Green ric?

?Hydnophora?

Favia

Neon green toadstool

Lepestrea

Green stripped Mushroom

Orange zoas

Radioactive dragon eye zoas

My tank is pretty full considering it is only a 6gallon but I do want to get more corals and where I live at it is at least 3 hours drive to any store that sells corals. My plan was to purchase more zoas for my tank because I love the way they look and the diversity they have.

Weetabix your the coolest, we appreciate the fact that your doing this and I am excited that I have a chance to enter my tank and to finally get off my butt and post some pics!

n40602180_32533096_6106.jpg

n40602180_32533098_6705.jpg

n40602180_32533097_6429.jpg

n40602180_32533093_5292.jpg

n40602180_32533095_5845.jpg

hey weetie i would love to have this..im a noob..

j/k :)

Yer a DOOFUS is what you are!!! :wacko:

'S okay, I'm a doofus too! :P

Please give them to me. My wife is pregnant and cranky and will not let me buy any coral as it is an 'unnecessary expense' :-(

Also the company I was working for abruptly shut down with no notice and I was not working for a month. My house also flooded a week before christmas (luckily my tank survived).

My tank has been set up for 6 months and has been very stable.

-Scott

Can you post a pic of your tank, along with specs?

You get bonus points if you can also post a pic of wifie giving you a kiss! :D

Airangel, post info when you get a chance, thanks.

SaltWaterNewb

What the heck, I'll throw my name in the hat, however I am still in the tail end of my cycle so I don't know if my tank would be ready or not by the time you are ready to ship.

Here's my tank, nothing in it yet:

DSC_1259.jpg

Specs are:

10g AGA

96 watt 50/50 PC

SeaChem Reef salt

Temp and salinity stable

SeaChem Grey Coast sand bed, 1" deep

Koralia nano power head

AC 70 HOB, unmodded but will be turned in to mini fuge

Marineland 50watt stealth heater

I figure since I am still cycling that eliminates me but thanks for the consideration.

The link in my sig is my tank

Post yer own info, Doofus!

My new prop tank is less than 2 month old. Does that count?

DSCN1235.jpg

I could always post a picture of my old prop tank (24g) that I am doing for my son in law. He's a REAL noob. Will that count? Or is family excluded?????????????

Way to go Weetie!

thumbs_up_spongebob.gif

DOOFUS!!!

I think you should contribute to the giveaway!

i am running a red sea max for less than a year. it is my first reef tank. here is the link to my setup here on nano-reef.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119101

my other (first) tank was a Tall Hex FOWLR experiment...a recipe for disaster

kenya tree and anthellia are growing like weeds...

Please post a pic of your tank and the specs, not just a link.

Doofus!! :P

Not really that much of a noob anymore but its worth a try.

Here is my tank. 6-7 months in.

00141.jpg

I had a alcalinity rise a couple of weeks ago and all but one of those SPS whitened out/died.

Specs:

20L

175w MH with 12k reeflux bulb- DIY

Supplemental PCs

Aqua C remora

2 MJ 1200s (only running one that keeps falling down)

Also have a B&W clown and a false perc.

Am upgrading to a 50g next week that also needs to get filled.

I had to quit soccer at school so I could get the fee back and so I can take a job to pay back my parents for what I owe them because of the tank.

IN THE RUNNING:

-hazmat

-brian92

-Md's Finest

-rnewhou

Saltwaternewb, how long exactly has your tank been set up and what are your current readings for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and PH?

Djpaul81, zhubbell, Cam198, and Reefer-tron, I like all of your tanks, but I eliminated you from the running because you already have too much nice stuff! Yes, that's right, in this contest pitifulness is GOOD!!

Cam198 and zhubbell, you guys should start a tank thread if you haven't already.

Ocho Cinco, I'm thinking about it, but I suspect you're not quite pitiful enough even though you are a DOOFUS!!

The only thing I don't like about contests like this is that I don't have enough to give to as many people as I'd like.

If I could, I'd give away 2 or 3 starter packs!

Hmm, what else can I scare up.... (scratches head & mumbles to self while peering into tank...)

usssturgeon187

ARGH I cant post a pic until fri im out of town . PLease weetabix have mercy please ! When you see the pic please note the lack of coral I have none at all none .

ARGH I cant post a pic until fri im out of town . PLease weetabix have mercy please ! When you see the pic please note the lack of coral I have none at all none .

Well can you at least give me some info about your tank?

SaltWaterNewb

Unfortunately only about two weeks. Ammonia is down to 2ppm and nitrites are about 1-2ppm.

pH is 8 - 8.1

Nitrate is 15ppm.

I still have a week I figure, maybe a tad but longer. I do have diatoms too, so that is a good sign. I totally understand though if you boot me out of the running.

The only thing I don't like about contests like this is that I don't have enough to give to as many people as I'd like.

If I could, I'd give away 2 or 3 starter packs!

Hmm, what else can I scare up.... (scratches head & mumbles to self while peering into tank...)

Peering into your tank or mine! I'm sure I can add a few things!

I might as well jump in here....

Tank Specs:

20 gallon long All-Glass

Coralife Aqualight 150w MH

AC 70 HOB fuge (with an AC50 impeller)

1x 100w Stealth heater

2x Koralia 2 powerheads

Oceanic Natural Sea Salt mix

20-25 lbs LR

20 lbs CaribSea Arag-Alive sand

a wad of chaeto

1 blue-legged hermit crab

Tank DOB: March 12, 2008

Tank was setup with cured liverock from a local hobbyist. I've had a very minimal cycle due to the rock being cured already, or mostly cured before going in my tank. My ammonia maxed out at .5 after the tank was set up. Here are the current parameters as of today:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 20

pH: 8.2

Temp: 80

Salinity: 1.025

I've been cycling so I haven't done any waterchanges, other than topping off everyday with RO. Now that my tests are showing my cycle is complete, I'll do a waterchange and I should be good to go. I'm getting the start of my CUC this weekend to clean up the diatom bloom. Since I don't have a sump I'll be doing weekly waterchanges of at least 10%. Hmm...did I miss anything? I'm excited for my cycle to be complete and now I can do my first real waterchange and let the stocking begin! :D

I just have to say this is a generous and very cool idea. Thanks for considering me!

DSC07533.jpg

2. StevieT has been my mentor and I have gotten so much information from him and others on this board.

StevieT is everyone's mentor, watch your mouth sucka!

hi there!

im tangboy (jeff) 's student thats into reefing i think hes said something about me to u well anyways sorry no pics and im at my dads house with no camera....but i was thinking that me and my dad would split it up....my tank is about 3 mounths old and my dads just got done cycleing awhile ago...mabe 1 mounth.........i was thinking if ido get picked.....we could meet at the Aquarium or at the Coral Reef to get the coral to me.....if i dont qualify as a noob......i guess i'll give it all to mydad... :( but he has nothing in his tank at all a eaxcept live rock and live sand love to get the coral!

thanks,

drew

Archived