Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Free Starter Frag Pack Giveaway

Weetabix7

reefatschool

Ya I'll participate also i suppose

Heres my pic

tank2.jpg

My tank: a Biocube 8

I started this tank middle of January right after winter break. I think it was the 15 or sometime around there.

Modded the back; first compartment heater and chemipure; second compartment cheato and 3rd compartment has an upgraded pump(don't remember which one but i think its a rio thats pumping around 200gph(i think))

My lighting was stock until 2 days ago when I bought a 70 watt MH DIY kit (thanks to reefdan) and installed it myself. So now It has a 18 watt actinic and a 70 Astralux 14k bulb And temp hasn't gone higher than 83 in the past 2 days after starting at about 78-79.

There is about 6-8 pound of live rock and about 10 pounds of live sand

I think i have around 4 crabs and 5 snails ( not sure because the crabs like the snail shells better than theirs so my snails slowly die off)

There are 2 fish- a firefish and a Yellow clown goby

Corals are

1 Frogspawn, 1 Kenya Tree, some blue zoos, 1 orange ricordia with 2 mouths, 1 orange montipora?, and an acro of some sort(all are frags. My cousin just gave me the last 2 since i gave him my clown fish because it was getting too big for my tank.

Parameters are:

salinity-1.025

ph-8.3

amonia- 0ppm

nitrite- 0ppm

Nitrate- almost 0 but less then 2.5

I do a weekly 1 gallon water change with distilled water and top off water ever other day also with distilled water

For salt I use red sea pro salt mix

Well I too am a college student and on top of that also in Iowa (Iowa State University) which is a horrible place to try and find good coral. I'm originally from northern Illinois, so i can pic up some good things when i go home for breaks.

This is also my first post so I'll say hi to every body too. Hey! :lol:

Thanks for looking

-Aaron

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH readings?

Cause you posted after I made up the list. I'll update the list later tonight.

nitrate = 0

nitrite = 0

and i cannot find my other 2 tests for the life of me. since everything is closed her now i dont have access to any of them either so, screwed. :( everything was spot on about 3days ago other then my salinity levels were a tad low. i just got a refractometer so that should help that

thanks

Fish's Paradise is actually about 10 minutes from my house. Most of my FW fish are from them. Going there is actually what turned me onto SW. I got really bad advice from there once. Thankfully I knew not to follow it, but I have been a bit wary ever since. I found a very tiny store on Pembroke Road that I now go to. It is a very mama and pops store. Very friendly, helpful and they have a large selection of small coral.

Wow, I'm sorry someone gave you bad advice.

I haven't worked there (or lived in S. Fl for that matter!) since '98 or so, so I don't know the people there now. When I was working there, almost all of the people were very knowledgeable and they had the best prices and selection on supplies as well.

Do you know if Scott or Martha still work there? Martha does FW and Scott does SW.

On another note, you say you had a very fast cycle, but could you possibly tell me what your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH is right now?

I count as new right? I mean c'mon, it's my birthday.

Just messin'. Doing something for the common good as always Weet. Glad to see it. Whoever gets this will not be disappointed! Great things come from the Coral Kitchen.

Bill

It was actually FW advice. The person told me to only do water changes every few months so that the PH could naturally drop on its own. I can definitely tell who are the more knowledgeable now that I have been there a few times. BTW I love the large FW tank when you first walk in the door. I could watch those fish for hours. When did move away from Florida?

I moved away 3 years ago. We owned Hollywood TV near downtown Hollywood & moved back there from Ives Estates for the last 5 years we were there. I stop in the store when I am in town. I, too, love that tank just as you come in the door. I hope to be down late April or sometime in May. I will be prepared to bring stuff back!

Okay, here's my updated lists:

IN THE RUNNING:

-hazmat

-brian92

-Md's Finest

-rnewhou

-airangel

-ICEige

-kmitch

-qbical

ELIMINATED, with reasons:

-djpaul81, zhubbell, Cam198, Reefer-tron-- you guys already have decent stuff

-saltwaternewb- not cycled yet, sorry!

-jeffreyliu35953- you already have a little bit in there, plus you're getting freebies from somone else

-crash43's dad- you are unable to give me pics or test results. I can get together w/you & give you some xenia and maybe other odds & ends at some point tho.

UNDECIDED, with reasons:

-soyadrink- you do already have some stuff, plus parents have financed you thus far

-KJoFan- slightly concerned with nitrate level of 20

-Ocho Cinco- not pitiful enough!

-bluepanda- need to know amm, nit, etc.

-reefatschool- you already have a few things, you might not be pitiful enough either!!!

-chazde3- same as above.

The above people aren't eliminated just now, I'm just still on the fence with them.

[attachmen

t=37581:032608_21421.jpg]Ok heres what I have 12 g Nano-cube,started about 4 weeks ago with 10lb ls(cured),1 13lb lr(cured),and my water came from friends 75 gallon tank.Did my first water change 2 days ago,and i top off daily with RO from lfs.

1 small serpent star

10 bl hermits

5 zebra hermits

10 snails

1 peppermint shrimp

1 skunk cleaner shrimp

1 camel shrimp

1 red mithrax crab

1 zoanthid purchased last week

1 richiodia purchased 2 days ago

Just made my first purchase online from Biblesue for a few frags out of her kitchen tank(Not recieved yet).

No fish yet,but plenty of copepods and hydroids for them when i do.Sorry pic so bad,using my phone to take it.And yes i can make shipping though Paypal.

P.S. That second frag looks like the ones Biblesue just sold.Thanks and good luck noobie in the hunt for what is already a addicted hobby

?

What about me, I edited my post on the first pageto include my tank and info.

Sry, missed that, edited above lists for you.

Reefer-tron

Ok so back to the the question of how this will be decided.....It is 100% up to Weatie who is picked. I strongly encourage that it be someone who is on their first adventure in SW and doesn't have people who will help them in the future.

Great competition!! I thought that I would have a chance but after seeing other tanks I realize how much I have in my tank.

Wheats I don't envy you for the position that you are in. You have some beautiful corals there so I hope that they can find the right home.

GOOD LUCK YOU NOOBS!!!!!!!!! ( haha jk)

I'll see if I can squeeze in under the time.

My tank was started Dec. 31st 2007. It's my second SW tank but my first try at anything more than just fish. So far I'm loving it!

I have a 12 NC DX with stock lighting. The first filter chamber is just filter floss, the second is some cheato and a heater, third is the stock pump. I also have a korelia nano in the tank for more flow. Current stats are: Ammonia - 0, Nitrites - 0, Nitrates - 0, SG - 1.024, temp - 78.

The tank has 14 lbs of live rock that was purchased from a fellow local reefer who was breaking down his tank. Also has 20 lbs of sand.

Livestock:

1 percula clown

2 little red hermits

8 or so snails of various types

A frag of frogspawn

A small frag (4 zoas) of Evil Mel zoas

Some red shrooms and some green striped shrooms

Some yellow polyps on a rock.

Why should I be chosen? Well...I am sad and pathetic. I just want a tank of zoas and shrooms...no big ideas for SPS, and don't have the money to pay for shipping from most sites. I am local to Wheetie so I could just drop by and pick up the frags. :-)

Here is a tank shot.

Fronttankshot.jpg

Olivia

Ok so back to the the question of how this will be decided.....It is 100% up to Weatie who is picked. I strongly encourage that it be someone who is on their first adventure in SW and doesn't have people who will help them in the future.

Great competition!! I thought that I would have a chance but after seeing other tanks I realize how much I have in my tank.

Wheats I don't envy you for the position that you are in. You have some beautiful corals there so I hope that they can find the right home.

GOOD LUCK YOU NOOBS!!!!!!!!! ( haha jk)

Thank you for being so understanding!

I agree with you that I'd really like to help out someone who is just starting out and may not have access to some of the resources (i.e. friends, parents) that others do.

Again, it's funny, but this is one of the few instances where being pitiful is a plus!!

I also believe I mentioned this before, but it is definitely in your favor if you have been an active member of NR as opposed to a lurker and have made positive contributions to the community in the past.

SaltWaterNewb

Shoot....rotten timing on my part....it's all good though. Still fun to watch this unfold. I am interested in seeing who the lucky one will be. I have my favorite (other than me) picked out :P

i agree with u all, this is my first tank and i hope that if I'm not chosen it goes to someone else like me who is brand new to all this without a lot of helpful resources.

UNDECIDED, with reasons:

-soyadrink- you do already have some stuff, plus parents have financed you thus far

-KJoFan- slightly concerned with nitrate level of 20

-Ocho Cinco- not pitiful enough!

-bluepanda- need to know amm, nit, etc.

-reefatschool- you already have a few things, you might not be pitiful enough either!!!

-chazde3- same as above.

The above people aren't eliminated just now, I'm just still on the fence with them.

Just to update from my earlier post...I did my waterchange since my cycle is now completed. I retested the nitrates since they were high (20) before the change. After the change they come in between 5 and 10. Here are a couple pics to represent the test:

DSC07775.jpg

DSC07782.jpg

Does that put me in the running now? :D

Just to update from my earlier post...I did my waterchange since my cycle is now completed. I retested the nitrates since they were high (20) before the change. After the change they come in between 5 and 10. Here are a couple pics to represent the test:

DSC07775.jpg

DSC07782.jpg

Does that put me in the running now? :D

Weety..

are you and i still good on our deal? MO went out today.....

let me know i havent read back far enough to see whats in the starter pack but hope its not what you and i talked about?

Nervous.....

Weety..

are you and i still good on our deal? MO went out today.....

let me know i havent read back far enough to see whats in the starter pack but hope its not what you and i talked about?

Nervous.....

YGPM.

45 mins. til the deadline, any last minute entries?

Archived