SaltCritters.com

ѕqυιяяεł'ѕ 10 gαł αgα

squirrelieygrrrl

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow, it's been a couple months, really hope your ok. I'm sure if you were still here then my thread would have a few pages more added on to it. Pwease come back, k? :flower:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
squirrelieygrrrl

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwuh!

you all rock! hardcore! im sure glad to know i was missed.

now, to explain my self.....

my pc crashed and getting it fixed wasnt top on my list of priorities. then the holidays happened....... and well really i just suck. but! im back, the tank is dramatically different from the last pic i posted.

ill get on takin some new pics and all that jazz.

and ill get on checkin in on all of your guys's threads! thanks for the love!

oh! and i got my self a 150w sunpod, a bunch of new corals (the species count is now up to 25!), and plans for an under the tank fuge/sump is in the works!

glad to be back folks.

much love.

~ a squirrel. :happy:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
squirrelieygrrrl

y mas....

things look a little dweeby, i know. ive had a few struggles along the way. tonight ill try and give a brief synopsis of the tanks progression over the last 9 months that ive been gone.... unfortunately i didnt photo document my changes so you all will just have to take my word for it. :D

post-32605-1240607418_thumb.jpg

post-32605-1240607536_thumb.jpg

post-32605-1240607689_thumb.jpg

post-32605-1240607802_thumb.jpg

post-32605-1240607951_thumb.jpg

post-32605-1240608002_thumb.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl

bump. (lame i know)

yeesh, way to make a gal feel welcome after a 9 mo hiatus.......

lol does the tank really look that bad? id even take a little flamin at this point. omgomgomg

Welcome back skurly, the tank looks really nice. Glad to see that you're not having the algae issues I'm having currently :(

I really love that little blastomussa in there. Ya got a lot of catchin up to do, hows the tank faired? We haven't gotten a proper update since like last August!!!!!!!!!!! :o:D

OMG, she's back!! We (at least I) missed ya' and were worried. Good to see you back though Squirreliey!! :D

The tank is looking great still too even with the changes!

squirrelieygrrrl

fank ye josh, fank ye.

i know i know, im lame.

its had its ups and downs since aug. i got the mh just shortly after i went mia. the light acclimation process was a real pita (im still workin out the kinks with it). i removed some rock, and added the new corals. its now fishless, as i have some xmass tree worms in there. i cant seem to get a fish in there that wont target them. ill try and take some pics of the wormies later, it takes real paitence as there really reallly sensitive to vibrations. the only other real thing that happened was just shortly after its 2 yr b-day it had a bad case of the "old tank syndrome. so i got a skimmer, dosnt seem to make much of a diff as far as i can tell.

things are on the mend after my slight nuking with the light and my nitrate spike.

lol, ill leave it at that for now

OMG, she's back!! We (at least I) missed ya' and were worried. Good to see you back though Squirreliey!! :D

The tank is looking great still too even with the changes!

omg! Matt! :D

sorry to worry you all. -_- its good to be back. thanks for the compliment. hardly looks like the same tank huh?

Mynameskenny19

WOW! Finally you're back! Computer crashes suck almost as bad as tank crashes, huh? lol

Your tank STILL looks awesome! Haha, glad to see ya back!

squirrelieygrrrl

mmmkay. heres a few more... sorry for the picture quality. this camera i have is a pos. it was made in 99.... so its a tad dated. im hoping to buy a new camera this summer. money has been tight for us out here lately, and were in the process of buying a 160 acre property out here. its off the grid and the house is turn of the century. which is partly to blame for my absence. 'scuses 'scuses.

WOW! Finally you're back! Computer crashes suck almost as bad as tank crashes, huh? lol

Your tank STILL looks awesome! Haha, glad to see ya back!

awww thanks kenny!

nice to see, er read ya. damn technology..... lol... or damn procrastination... one or the other.

thanks for the compliment buddy. ill go check out your tank thread soon.

post-32605-1240635390_thumb.jpg

post-32605-1240635864_thumb.jpg

Old tank syndrome? LoL hardly, I don't see anything wrong with it, looks pristine. But you know, if you are having true "old tank syndrome" the only REAL cure is an tank upgrade. If I recall correctly the formula for finding out how big of a new tank you need to buy is:

Old Tank Size x 3 - 10 = New tank size

So for my tank.:

34gx3 = 102 - 10g = 92g

So you can see I'm right on track with my upgrade...

Ok you know I'm just being stupid here right? LoL :P :P :P

Thats cool that ya'll bought so much property, are you going to do solar and wind energy? I have just 5 acres out here but its pretty close to Houston, I'd love to do natural energy on my property that way my tank is INSURED the next time a big ass storm comes through and I can live in comfort during then :D

squirrelieygrrrl

you have no idea!

lol, that tank was awash with diatoms just two weeks ago! my nitrates soared to 20, possibly higher. between my slight nuking and the 'trate spike i lost the yumas, that leather that was having probs, the kenya frag, some of the zoas, most of my xenia, a small colony of blastos. i think thats it.... nope not it, both of the clowns commited fish suicide :( they ditched home sweet home due to a faulty heater incident though.

on the subject of the all in one cure to "old tank syndrome" i like where your goin with this buddy. :P my 35 gal hex is now empty as the goldies are now out side in a proper pond. ive been thinking the same thing......

mwa bwa hahah haaa hahaha *hack*....ahem.

my poor hubby.... anywhoo bout the land, it kinda fell into our laps. my hubby was caretaking for the owners who live in the city and they offered us a rent to own deal. so we took it.

as of now its being run by a 2 thousand kwh propane generator. pricy but effective. right now were just workin on getting the old house ready to live in. as for green energy there are a few small streams that might have potential for some hydro electric to go in but that's some time off in the future.

Well you sure can't tell it from the pictures that you were having hell with the tank :) Good job at photoshopping all the bad stuff out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P lol jk

Ya gonna work with the Hex tank? I think its time for a skurl upgrade..

I would think that since you're in Northern Cali wind energy would be an extremely cheap and effective way to generate some power... I'd love to do that here, but I don't think it's breezy enough to pay off itself in a timely manner. Damn hot humid Houston :D

Edit: oh and is that last picture a Stylophora?

squirrelieygrrrl

thanks for the compliment

possibly

havnt done enough research on the subject yet, so in other words, possibly

and why yes it is. in real life its almost electric green, but i havnt figured out how to get the colors right yet with this new camera, er old new to me camera.

edit: see the last shot of the oval lookin one? whats the verdict? meat coral or brain? it was sold to me as a cyanaria. but im not sure.

That stylo has INSANE polyp extension, must really be happy lol

Oh and thats definitely Cynarina, aka Meat Coral. :)

squirrelieygrrrl

fank ye

and

fank ye

the stylo is definitely one of my favs. it does this great swaying thing with the current from the power sweep.

on a side note, my mh light is like 2 and 1/2 feet over the tank. too high? some stuff is kinda brownish, and some stuff looks great like the stylo, and the porties. but the bubble is not pleased. suggestions?

edit: besides a bigger tank. lol

How long has the metal halide been over the tank? I'd gradually lower it down like one inch a week until its around 6 inches above the tank. Most of the corals will eventually thank you for the added light and get amazing coloration. There are very few exceptions of corals that turn ugly in high light, most of which are chalices and acans.

squirrelieygrrrl

ahhhh.

the lights been there since about sept or so. just after i got the porties/ xmass tree worm rock. so thats about 8 months.

an inch a week is about what ive been doing since i nuked some stuff. when the nuke happened i moved it waaaay up. over compensation i suppose. lol. the nuke happened in dec.

when ever i move that light down all of the lps's shrivel after the lights go out and they expel the zoanthellae like there gonna bleach. kind of freaks me out. lol. plus the bubble just hasnt ever looked the same since the mh went on.

maybe i just worry too much. lol

Archived