Pod Your Reef

ѕqυιяяεł'ѕ 10 gαł αgα

squirrelieygrrrl

What wattage is the MH? Maybe cut it down to 1/2 inch every week if you notice the lps is acting funky from the lighting.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
squirrelieygrrrl

150w with a 20k astra lux bulb. unfortunately im short on space as you can see, so where every one is at is where they will have to stay for the most part.

150w with a 20k astra lux bulb. unfortunately im short on space as you can see, so where every one is at is where they will have to stay for the most part.

Upgrade would solve that :)

yaya your back!!

tank looks great, and I love that stylo :) it's super pretty. tank looks awesome and I think I need an upgrade soon as well. I'm running out of room!! :P

omg! Matt! :D

sorry to worry you all. -_- its good to be back. thanks for the compliment. hardly looks like the same tank huh?

!!!!! You remember me, lol! :P

Yeah, definitely looks like a different tank scape wise, but a NICE tank! B)

I dunno about light and distance, I always have the same question. I have the 70w MH for my 10g tank about ehh "8 over the water surface. Seems to work out there. Since I moved 4 months ago, it's definitely not the same tank you'd remember it as, especially since I haven't upkept it AT ALL since moving and now it looks horrible. :( I'm currently on week 2.5 of vodka dosing it though. The 30g is currently in my garage and all the stuff from it is comfortably in a temporary 20g long tank.

squirrelieygrrrl

awwwwuh shucks guys

:blush:

thanks a bunch.

matt and lizzie, ill check out your guys tanks soon. promise!

as for the light height (unavoidable rhyming!) i dunno if ill ever be able to get it lower than a foot. even that green porties rock seems to get too white in color when i lower it just a little. i think it might be a deepwater coral though. maybe. lol. i dunno. but im gonna keep tryin to lower it bit by bit. again. lol i dunno. i now see why keeping lps and sps in the same tank is problematic (for a tank of this size any way).

on a side note, tomorrow we will be goin up north to the "city" (i use that word loosely, lol) so im gonna go to the lfs up there. see what goodies they have. maybe ill come home with sumthin purdy.

on yet another side note, any one have any suggestions for a small fish that wont predate on the Christmas tree worms? there my absolute fav inhabitant in the tank lol so im partial to keepin em alive. so far ive tried a pseudochromis (really bad idea), and a ycg. the ycg didnt bug the worms but took a liking to eating my sps. little buggers.

No worries, not much on mine but some text updates, I don't release pics of my tanks looking crappy. :P Well the temp tank looks good, just looks ghetto, lol!

squirrelieygrrrl

fanks a bunch Rocker.

thats a great pic of your huskie dog. i happen to have a huskie mix too, mines name is woof, shes 3/4 wolf and huskie. there great dogs. ill take some pics of her and post em!

on a side note,

went to the big city yesterday. got my self a purdy green slimer acro. though it looks more flourescent yellow than green if you ask me. today was worm feedin day so i wasnt able to take any shots of it. tomorrow! i swear! :P

ive made quite a few observations over the past 8 months ive had the worms. if any one is interested im more than willing to share. i know there reputed low to nonexistent survival rates in captivity, but the way i see it.... i saw em at the lfs, i didnt order them, and if there probably gonna die why not give it a shot? who knows i might get lucky. so far so good. fingers crossed ill be able to keep it up.

that is all

~squirrel.

squirrelieygrrrl

worms as in Christmas tree worms. thats what those pretty red and yellow worms on the green porties rock are.

worms as in Christmas tree worms. thats what those pretty red and yellow worms on the green porties rock are.

Oh yes yes! B) I love Christmas Tree rocks/coral!

squirrelieygrrrl

have you heard of any one keeping them long term? so far the only thing i can get them to eat is detritus, and mashed cyclops. lol.

I haven't know anyone with one. Seen a few at LFSs though and on some reef DVDs I have, lol!!

squirrelieygrrrl

yea thats pretty much what i gather. rarely found. rarely kept. rarely survive. lol. the longest ive read about one surviving is 2 years. so thats my goal for now anyway.

fanks a bunch Rocker.

thats a great pic of your huskie dog. i happen to have a huskie mix too, mines name is woof, shes 3/4 wolf and huskie. there great dogs. ill take some pics of her and post em!

on a side note,

went to the big city yesterday. got my self a purdy green slimer acro. though it looks more flourescent yellow than green if you ask me. today was worm feedin day so i wasnt able to take any shots of it. tomorrow! i swear! :P

ive made quite a few observations over the past 8 months ive had the worms. if any one is interested im more than willing to share. i know there reputed low to nonexistent survival rates in captivity, but the way i see it.... i saw em at the lfs, i didnt order them, and if there probably gonna die why not give it a shot? who knows i might get lucky. so far so good. fingers crossed ill be able to keep it up.

that is all

~squirrel.

OOohh you have a real wolf!!! Yes, post a pic when you can!!!! I wish my husky was part wolf, but that'd be illegal. We were going to name her Wolfie, but ended up naming her Sylar (watch Heroes?) She totally massacred my freshwater beta tank when she was a puppy. Totally lives up to her name...:angry:

G'luck on those worms! How big do they get? I'd be scared to put my hands in a tank with things like that in it.

squirrelieygrrrl

thanks kimberly! ill check out your tank later tonight.

matt,

i see a little prodding goes a long way. :P

rocker,

nope, dont watch heroes so that ones lost on me. lol. i had to leave the 'l' out of woofies name cuz shes still just a little bit dog. :P funny that yours went for your fish. mine kept eating my goldfish out of a little pond i have. i went through 4 or 5 fish before i realized it was the dog and not a 'coon. lol. poor goldies.

the worms are really just fancy featherdusters. totally harmless. btw. ;) lol thanks for the good luck. im gonna need it. :scarry:

and now....

pitchurs. as promised.

post-32605-1241210750_thumb.jpg

post-32605-1241210889_thumb.jpg

post-32605-1241211172_thumb.jpg

post-32605-1241211262_thumb.jpg

I <3 your wolf, she's adorable!!!

Oh, those worms are only featherdusters? & here I thought you wanted to harvest a worm infested tank farm....

squirrelieygrrrl
nice pics B)

ty ty dahling

I <3 your wolf, she's adorable!!!

Oh, those worms are only featherdusters? & here I thought you wanted to harvest a worm infested tank farm....

thanks rocker!

shes a good ol girl(shes 7). how old is yours? name? :P

there kind of like featherdusters. kind of. there actually most closely related to the more common types of worms in our tanks like the bristles and the peanuts.

and! oh but i do want to harvest a worm infested tank farm...thingy, essentially. since i got them the tank is pretty much for them anyhow, and for the angry shrimp. :P

Aw, did you have her since she was a puppy? Any puppy pics? Lol I'm a sucker for huskies and malamutes. My pups name is Sylar. Named her after the murderer on the show Heroes. lol. She's turning 2 in a few months.

Do those wormies spread like crazy? Seen a few pics of some really cool looking ones. Hope your tank fills out nicely with those guys! What kind of colors does yours have?

squirrelieygrrrl

oh thats right. lmao....

im such a space cadet.

ooo shes still young! there a real handful at that age. woof didnt really calm down till she was about 4. ive had her since she was 8 weeks old. payed 300 bucks for the bi*ch. lol. all the puppy pics are on film, so id have to dig em out and scan em. she was so cute made me wanna puke!

the worms are incredibly slow growing, the colony i have is probably 30 years old, or more. the species i have is smaller than others, but none grow very large at all. no more than an inch in diameter for the largest ones. my largest one is maybe 3/4 of an inch. they wont spread at all, they grow no more than 1-2 cm a year. theyve never been kept sucessfully long term (more than 2 years) in captivity. little is known about them really. so im basically taking shots in the dark about feeding.

ill try and take some better shots of them later, it takes excruciating amounts of paitence to photograph them, as they are extremely timid, and sensitive to vibrations. so i have to be stone still, and wait. lol, some times ive waited so long my hands start to fall asleep, just tring to get a shot! the coral is this goregous emerald green porties. the worms vary from cream and burgundy, to yellow and burgundy. there are 13 in total in that coral.

its been a real challenge, and just as a disclaimer i dont suggest any one keep them. you basically have to have 0 nitrates, and perfect stable water parameters even just to keep them from retreating permenantly.

I saw the post you made a few pages back with the pics of those worms. Didn't know those were the "worms" you were talking about. They're pretty! You must have a helluvah good time trying to keep those things happy. :P

Archived