Pod Your Reef

The Yasha Hashe Goby Thread!

Nick's Reef

Well, I've just joined another yashe club.... the one where he jumps into a place he shouldn't and dies.

I took a look at the tank after the lights came on and saw something looked wrong with my surface skimmer. Then I realized it was my yashe getting flipped around in there. I quickly got him out, but he wasn't doing well. I tried to grab him to move him into a isolation chamber in the tank, but he kinda twitched away. He got close to his burrow and my pistol shot out, grabbed him and yanked him back in the burrow.

I freaked! I start ripping my LR out of the tank to try and get him back, but I was too late.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got my yasha and pistol yesterday, super stoked looking forward to watching them since i found out about them. I acclimated then put them in the tank. The pistol hit the sand and dug himself a hole and haven't seen him since. The goby dropped down and posted up in various spots on the sand looking very unhappy. He did eat yesterday afternoon. Then as of this morning no goby to be seen either. Is this normal or should i be calling the lfs to say i want some mo fo store credit?

Midori Hibi

I just got my yashi/pistol pair yesterday from a lfs. There in a 12g nano and i havent seen them yet but hopefully they come out soon so i can see them :D

I got my yasha and pistol yesterday, super stoked looking forward to watching them since i found out about them. I acclimated then put them in the tank. The pistol hit the sand and dug himself a hole and haven't seen him since. The goby dropped down and posted up in various spots on the sand looking very unhappy. He did eat yesterday afternoon. Then as of this morning no goby to be seen either. Is this normal or should i be calling the lfs to say i want some mo fo store credit?

It's normal. They're very shy at first. Esp. if they just found each other. Just stay a decent distance from the tank and the yashe might show himself.

still nothing, should i be picking up the rock the pistol dug under to see if there is a goby as well or just leave it be for a while longer? what is the normal time frame for these guys to start hanging outside the tunnels?

Moving stuff around is just going to piss them off and make them hide longer. You might try putting a small piece of raw shrimp in the sand in front of the burrow. The pistol should come out and grab it.

still nothing, should i be picking up the rock the pistol dug under to see if there is a goby as well or just leave it be for a while longer? what is the normal time frame for these guys to start hanging outside the tunnels?

Dude, it was awesome, a head then a body and then there was a yasha, he is gone now that the lights are off but the little guy is still kickin. I saw the pistol push some more sand out from under the rock as well. They are cool little fu**ers i hope they start spending some more time out and about.

Aliasnumber1

You can't move the rocks around with these little guys, mine wedged himself in the rock and refused to come out despite being out of the water. Then when you replace the rock you could always trap him against the sand.

I joined the Yasha club yesterday and true to form, I haven't seen him since I put him in my tank.

Here's my questions -- how do i know if the poor guy is eating? I have no idea which rock he's under.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, finally got some pictures of my yashi, sorry for the poor quality pics, but i only have my phone atm . . . but anyways, there he is in my old rock setup. [: *i also got a pistol shrimp today for my yashi, i had one paired before but it died ]': so i finally got another one, ill try to post some pics of them together soon, if i get lucky that is. x:

img00253ku8.jpg

and here's a close-up shot of him ^^

img00232rw4.jpg

here he is with my *recently passed away black aus. clown T_T

img00248ri8.jpg

^^

Yours is actually a female, has no dark spot on the two joined fins on her belly.

Also, avaneaton2000 up here in jupiter the lfs's have been getting them lately. Oceans below had 4 yashas a month ago and a place in stuart called aquatic life had a yasha and pistol pair last week.

I just got a replacement Yashe a few days ago from my LFS. He's getting 4-5 pairs of yashe/pistols (all varieties) a week and they're gone within a day or two. I got lucky and found this yashe with a small red pistol. My pistol is HUGE by comparison, but they found each other after just 30 seconds of her hitting the tank.

She isn't coming out of the burrow yet, but she pops her head out just enough to see she's still alive.

It's hard at first to know that they are eating, but if you just pump some food close to the burrow they'll get it.

thanks nick for the sex info for my yashi [:

i got a question. does the uhmmm . . . thing on there head mean anything if its longer or shorter? |: cause i saw a picture of another yashi and its "thing" was like half the body and hers is little bit longer then her body. just curious. thanks in advance

^^

Yours is actually a female, has no dark spot on the two joined fins on her belly.

Also, avaneaton2000 up here in jupiter the lfs's have been getting them lately. Oceans below had 4 yashas a month ago and a place in stuart called aquatic life had a yasha and pistol pair last week.

avaneaton2000

I found one place down here that had one they wanted $50, I think that is a bit high, gotta see where else I can find one.

hey, does anyone know why my pistol shrimp keeps on dying? well i have a 12g nano dx and everything in my tank is fine, ive had my yashi for about one month and she started out with a pistol shrimp [they werent paired to begin with, but bought together], but the first one that i had, it was doing good for like two weeks then one day i saw that he was missing his "pistol" and found him stuck under my koralia nano and obviously dead *tears. and couple days ago i got a pistol shrimp cause i felt that my yashi was lonely so i got her another bff, well you guessed it, it was fine when i put the pistol in and found her right away, but the next day when i woke up, i saw him swimming in loops, so i was like wtf o_O so i take a closer look and his "pistol" yet again was gone and he was just going buck wild. i had to go to work later that day and my friend checked on him little bit after and told me that he had no legs left? wtf x2 o:< thus death followed. if anyone knows why this is, or had the same experience with this, then let me know. thanks

~tank occupied by :

1. hermies

2. [new] tomato clown

3. yashi

4.zoos

5.and spirit of two dead pistols T_T

hey, does anyone know why my pistol shrimp keeps on dying? well i have a 12g nano dx and everything in my tank is fine, ive had my yashi for about one month and she started out with a pistol shrimp [they werent paired to begin with, but bought together], but the first one that i had, it was doing good for like two weeks then one day i saw that he was missing his "pistol" and found him stuck under my koralia nano and obviously dead *tears. and couple days ago i got a pistol shrimp cause i felt that my yashi was lonely so i got her another bff, well you guessed it, it was fine when i put the pistol in and found her right away, but the next day when i woke up, i saw him swimming in loops, so i was like wtf o_O so i take a closer look and his "pistol" yet again was gone and he was just going buck wild. i had to go to work later that day and my friend checked on him little bit after and told me that he had no legs left? wtf x2 o:< thus death followed. if anyone knows why this is, or had the same experience with this, then let me know. thanks

~tank occupied by :

1. hermies

2. [new] tomato clown

3. yashi

4.zoos

5.and spirit of two dead pistols T_T

Two things come to mind. Are you sure it was the actual body and not just a molt? They will molt when they are stressed. Have you heard any tell-tale clicking? Also, how are you acclimating? I always drip acclimate everything that goes into my tank for at least 30 minutes.

Two things come to mind. Are you sure it was the actual body and not just a molt? They will molt when they are stressed. Have you heard any tell-tale clicking? Also, how are you acclimating? I always drip acclimate everything that goes into my tank for at least 30 minutes.

im pretty sure its the body and not the molt cause he was swimming before i left for work, and my friend later that day found him dead, so im pretty sure its not his molt, and secondly i also drip acclimate everything that goes into my tank. so im still stumped about why is it that my pistol keeps on dying the same way?! is it possible that my yashi is like attacking/killing it? |: thanks for the response icecool2, i appreciate it. [:

well, from what ive been hearing, it seems like my tomato plays a big role here. i could see how that could be, cause my first pistol was with a baby black aus. clown and lived for about a month, and my second one lasted one night with the new tomato that i got, its fairly small, maybe like 1½". so now i have one plausible explanation. making good progress.

Archived