inTank Media Baskets

The Yasha Hashe Goby Thread!

Nick's Reef

question:

does everyone's pistol shrimp close up their burrow opening every night for the yasha's or is it sporadic? Mine does it a lot, but some days, he doesn't. Seems to be very sporadic.

thanks!

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nick's Reef
question:

does everyone's pistol shrimp close up their burrow opening every night for the yasha's or is it sporadic? Mine does it a lot, but some days, he doesn't. Seems to be very sporadic.

thanks!

Mine will most of the time, but last night he didn't cause a snail fell and it was in front of the burrow so he didn't need too. Also my lfs has a yasha again, when I was there a lady was interested in it and I hope she got it since it was a very brightly colored one and they got it in a few days ago and it was already used to people. Btw I'm pretty sure the yasha was a female.

question:

thanks!

They close up at least one opening every night. Mine still haven't settled in to a particular spot, they keep moving their entrance every day.

My trio (pair + shrimp) came in on Saturday. They look great and were already eating Saturday evening. They're in the 10 gallon with the blue and gold blenny. I'll get pictures of them this weekend after I re-scape and try to get them to face their burrow towards the front of the tank.

Nick's Reef
My trio (pair + shrimp) came in on Saturday. They look great and were already eating Saturday evening. They're in the 10 gallon with the blue and gold blenny. I'll get pictures of them this weekend after I re-scape and try to get them to face their burrow towards the front of the tank.

SWEET, CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THEM.

edit: damn capslock!!!!!!

FishFreak77

I was looking through the thread and have come to like these gobies. Would it be safe to put one in a tank with a yellow watchman goby already in it? Will they fight?

Nick's Reef
I was looking through the thread and have come to like these gobies. Would it be safe to put one in a tank with a yellow watchman goby already in it? Will they fight?

No!!!!!!!!!! And yes the will beat the sh!t outta eachother!

So I know everyone has made comments about putting some crushed shells near the burrow and the pistol will make a door with them. Has anyone else's pistol used their frags as a door?

I should really take a picture next time he does it, this is twice now. He moves two rather large for his size frags about 12" and wedged them under the LR.

Nick's Reef
So I know everyone has made comments about putting some crushed shells near the burrow and the pistol will make a door with them. Has anyone else's pistol used their frags as a door?

I should really take a picture next time he does it, this is twice now. He moves two rather large for his size frags about 12" and wedged them under the LR.

Mine used to used zoa frags til" I moved them to the rocks, then he used my 7 head trumpet as a door.

Mine used to used zoa frags til" I moved them to the rocks, then he used my 7 head trumpet as a door.

I moved the frags over a bit from the burrow and threw some pieces of LR down there to give him something else to move. It's funny.

Aliasnumber1

I just picked up a pair of these and after a nice hour and a half acclimation added them to the tank. The first houdini was gone before i could move the net, the second was out for a while ate something out of the water column and disappeared too. If they appear maybe i have names.

I just picked up a pair of these and after a nice hour and a half acclimation added them to the tank. The first houdini was gone before i could move the net, the second was out for a while ate something out of the water column and disappeared too. If they appear maybe i have names.

I barely saw mine for weeks after adding them to the tank. Now they come right to the front as soon as they see me. Even the pistol follows them out of the burrow. Cool fish to say the least.

Hi ,

im new to NR and i saw this forum and i was like man i have a yasha hashe goby too! He is in my quarentine tank(had a bad ich break out in my main tank so im waiting it out) He ate fine for 4 weeks i fed him cyclopees and brine shrimp..but recently i got formula 1 with garlic flakes and now he wont eat anything but those flakes... he wont even eat the frozen foods soaked with garlic guard any tips or advice?

i love mine. he used to be shy, but lately he has been very active. i had a pistol shrimp for about 2 weeks before i got the goby that passed on, but i plan on getting a pistol again.

Nick's Reef

Awesome! They're neat little fish and i think that if you want one suck it up and get one cause you'll love em'.

by the way, they are extremely shy at first and you may not see them for months.

Hi ,

im new to NR and i saw this forum and i was like man i have a yasha hashe goby too! He is in my quarentine tank(had a bad ich break out in my main tank so im waiting it out) He ate fine for 4 weeks i fed him cyclopees and brine shrimp..but recently i got formula 1 with garlic flakes and now he wont eat anything but those flakes... he wont even eat the frozen foods soaked with garlic guard any tips or advice?

i have no clue, mine perfer live zooplankton over everything else. But that's pretty much all I've been feeding lately. If it's eating flakes, just keep feeding it flake.

davidr2340

Finally... I'm on the "list" at a LFS near me, for my pair... Should be a week or two. I hope!!!

:huh:

Nick's Reef
Finally... I'm on the "list" at a LFS near me, for my pair... Should be a week or two. I hope!!!

:huh:

Ok, I'm sick of everone saying "a pair" and me not knowing if you're getting two gobies or a goby and a shrimp. So please state which one.

As for you david, it will probably be a hell of a lot longer than a few weeks. It was almost a year from when i saw one at the lfs and decided i wanted one (I didn't have the money at the time or know what the hell it was) til I saw another one that ended up being the female i have today then about a month or so til a got a male. it took me about 3 months to find a pistol.

Great thread! I have one quick question. How deep does the sand bed need to be in order to keep these guys?

Aliasnumber1

I haven't read anything about them requiring a certain depth, at least nothing like what i read with jawfish. I think if they can hide themselves effectively they will be fine. My short lesson withthese guys is just have everything settled before you add them. cause they aren't coming out unless they want to. I'm afriad my second one is a gonner.

Nick's Reef
Great thread! I have one quick question. How deep does the sand bed need to be in order to keep these guys?

Just deep enough to make a stable burrow, I'd say 2".

I'm afriad my second one is a gonner.

Yeah, they have a heard time acclimating to captivity sometimes, and have sadly seen many of them come in with decompression problems since the come from pretty deep waters (15-40meters). hopefully it's jsut being shy as most are in the begining.

davidr2340
Ok, I'm sick of everone saying "a pair" and me not knowing if you're getting two gobies or a goby and a shrimp. So please state which one.

As for you david, it will probably be a hell of a lot longer than a few weeks. It was almost a year from when i saw one at the lfs and decided i wanted one (I didn't have the money at the time or know what the hell it was) til I saw another one that ended up being the female i have today then about a month or so til a got a male. it took me about 3 months to find a pistol.

Sorry bro... A pair of Yasha Hases' and a pistol!!!

I hope it's not much longer than a few weeks. The LFS I'm on the list at gets them in almost weekly. But, they get swooped up in a heartbeat!!! At least now I'm on "the list"... ;)

Nick's Reef
Sorry bro... A pair of Yasha Hases' and a pistol!!!

I hope it's not much longer than a few weeks. The LFS I'm on the list at gets them in almost weekly. But, they get swooped up in a heartbeat!!! At least now I'm on "the list"... ;)

Awesome! If you're on the list does that mean they'll hold it for you or they'll try to get a pair?

Aliasnumber1
Yeah, they have a heard time acclimating to captivity sometimes, and have sadly seen many of them come in with decompression problems since the come from pretty deep waters (15-40meters). hopefully it's jsut being shy as most are in the begining.

This pair had been at the LFS for almost a month, and over the weekend they went on sale for half price. Even if i lost the male it still isn't horrible for the change i spent. There is still no sign of the male yasha. I really wonder if the female is safe because my picasso is very interested in the female and tries to swim into the burrow, which is a deep fissure in my baserock.

davidr2340
Awesome! If you're on the list does that mean they'll hold it for you or they'll try to get a pair?

I think they'll hold 'em for me... Give me a call when "my number comes up"... I hope!

HammyDavisJr

I got a new tiger pistol shrimp last night. Acclimated him, he dove right in and started digging. Came home last night, didn't see him (no big surprise) and then saw what looked like Pistol shrimp 'parts' being picked on by hermit crabs. It looked like a molt, mostly just exoskeleton and no 'meat'.

I haven't seen my Yasha since I put him in, so I hope he just molted and caved up with the Goby for a few days....I hope....

Hopefully he just molted due to the stress of being in a new tank, and is hiding away in the rocks. I've never lost any live stock right after an acclimation, so I'd feel bad if this pistol was the first.

IMG_0883%20(Large).jpg

IMG_0884%20(Large)%20(2).jpg

Digging away immediately after putting him in the tank...god I hope he just molted and didn't die.

IMG_0887%20(Large).jpg

Archived