Coral Vue Hydros

The Yasha Hashe Goby Thread!

Nick's Reef

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ReefKeepersCorner

Great pics everybody! As soon as I see mine I'll snap a pic. Just got him a week ago and haven't seen him yet.

Will my Yellow Clown Goby be fine with a Yasha/Shrimp in a 24G aquapod? The YCG usually swims up and perches on rocks higher in the tank and rarely goes down to the bottom, but would they fight?

Nick's Reef
Will my Yellow Clown Goby be fine with a Yasha/Shrimp in a 24G aquapod? The YCG usually swims up and perches on rocks higher in the tank and rarely goes down to the bottom, but would they fight?

They would be perfectly fine! :D

ReefKeepersCorner

Shouldn't be a problem at all. :)

lakshwadeep
Would a Purple Firefish and a clownfish be okay with a Yashi?

yes, but it would be best to put the Yashia first, then the firefish, then the clown (in order of aggression to new tankmates). Remember that there are many clownfish (like maroon clowns) that are just as rough and mean as damsels. Stick with an occelaris or percula clown as they are generally peaceful.

rotarymagic
yes, but it would be best to put the Yashia first, then the firefish, then the clown (in order of aggression to new tankmates). Remember that there are many clownfish (like maroon clowns) that are just as rough and mean as damsels. Stick with an occelaris or percula clown as they are generally peaceful.

I just got a mated pair of yashias and a candy stripe pistol... they're working out well... the LFS had two yashias in different tanks and one was already paired with the pistol so I thought hmm let's see if the yashias will get along and I watched them for about 20minutes in a breeder net in one of the tanks and they got along just fine without any fighting whatsoever. It's pretty interesting watching two yashia's make open mouth displays at anything that comes near the burrow haha including me when I'm watching them. I've got them in a BC14 and besides peppermint shrimp and the rest of the cleanup crew, they're the only ones. I gotta admit that this is one of the coolest shrimp goby setups I've ever done.

What do you guys think about multiple pistols?

The LFS where I got my pistol has two others that are making tunnels together under some window screening so I am wondering it they will pair with the pistol I already have.

rotarymagic
What do you guys think about multiple pistols?

The LFS where I got my pistol has two others that are making tunnels together under some window screening so I am wondering it they will pair with the pistol I already have.

I was under the impression that pistols may kill each other and sexing pistols would be hard because you don't know if they're fighting or playing nice underground in the tunnels.

petkingdom619

if I was to get a ycg and a yasha/pistol , should i buy the yasha and pistol and the same time?

can the ycg already be established in the tank when I add the pair?

or does it matter at all?

also was thinking about a jawfish.. but Dont know much about there requirements

I probably wouldn't put a jawfish with any burrowing goby.....

As for the pistols....I watched two at the LFS which only have window screening on the sand bed for them to exhibit what they do and they were both next to each other at times and when not they were both moving their tunnels around.

I am planning on putting them in a 30g cube with about 70lbs of LR so I think if they didn't get along they would either kill each other or move to another spot. I will probably try it in a few weeks once I move everything over to the new tank.

Finally a couple decent shots of my yasha. He tends to only venture out at feeding time. Otherwise he sticks to his little hole there you see behind him. I'm considering getting a pistol shrimp for him, would that bring him out more or not?

DSC08261.jpg

DSC08262.jpg

Nick's Reef
As for the pistols....I watched two at the LFS which only have window screening on the sand bed for them to exhibit what they do and they were both next to each other at times and when not they were both moving their tunnels around.

I am planning on putting them in a 30g cube with about 70lbs of LR so I think if they didn't get along they would either kill each other or move to another spot. I will probably try it in a few weeks once I move everything over to the new tank.

Ek tell us in this thread what happens with the pistols, I was going to try this but I was told that they'd kill eachother. I'd really like to see if this works because based on what I've read a pair of gobies normally lives with a pair of pistols.

Also Kjofan, nice pics! Yours looks just like one of my two. :D

Watched the pair again at the LFS before work last night and almost got them but it was a cold one here and I didn't have any heat packs.....reason so is that I work nights and the LFS across the street from my job has the pistols.

I did watch them and the continued to burrow together....asked the guy there and he said that they came in seperate shipments and were separated at first but it's a rack type setup where there is a single pane separating them with slots so they found each other.

I will probably get it next week if it's still there or will go hunting for one when I move everyone over to the bigger tank.

rotarymagic
Ek tell us in this thread what happens with the pistols, I was going to try this but I was told that they'd kill eachother. I'd really like to see if this works because based on what I've read a pair of gobies normally lives with a pair of pistols.

Also Kjofan, nice pics! Yours looks just like one of my two. :D

Eh screw it... that sounds like too much fun ahaha... candy stripe pistols here are only 10 bucks... I guess if I hear a gun fight in the burrow then they were both males hahahaha.

BTW I saw a white/red clown goby at the LFS it was rather interest being all white with red spots all over. It may match my yashias and shrimps.

Nick's Reef
Does anyone know a good source to get mated pairs of these gobies?

Liveaquaria diversden has pairs occassionally for around $150.

• 2 weeks later...

Well....I scored a really cheap Randalls pistol last night at the LFS and this morning when I got off of work I went ahead and threw it in with the other one. I made sure I picked the smallest one in the LFS to try and pair with my big randalls.

I netted the pistol out and guided it to the rock in which my Yashia and Randalls have made home and it found it's way through the holes in the rock with no problems. About a few minutes later I hear machine guns go off for a few seconds and then it stopped.

I am guessing they needed to settle the dominance role but not sure how it all panned out yet. At feeding time the Yashia and the original pistol came out to eat and I think I caught a glimpse of the new pistol but time will tell.

i got my yasha to pair with a candy cane pistol.. and then i placed them into my 34g RSM and i got the shrimp and goby to live where i wanted them to. now i got another yasha hoping to get a male female pair going. unfortunately i cant tell if they will pair. i hear they are pretty territorial so i put the new goby in a clear plastic breeder box right in front of the cave where my original yasha made a home. they aren't acting agressively but the original one is kind of sticking his head upwards... anyone have experience with getting two yashas to form a mating pair?

thanks

eklikewhoa

The fiance saw the pistols!

She told me she saw the shrimp come out and went back in and then back out again....but it had changed in size so I now know that the two have paired up cause I got a tiny one to try and pair with the larger one.

:happy:

Nick's Reef
now i got another yasha hoping to get a male female pair going. unfortunately i cant tell if they will pair. i hear they are pretty territorial so i put the new goby in a clear plastic breeder box right in front of the cave where my original yasha made a home. they aren't acting agressively but the original one is kind of sticking his head upwards... anyone have experience with getting two yashas to form a mating pair?

thanks

I'd say let the other one out of the breeder box and see what happens. I've paired mine up by just letting the other one in and hoping for the best. If you don't see both of them out together within a few weeks, the didn't pair up.

Btw congrats on getting the pistols to pair ek! :D

I added my second yasha a week and a day ago and have not seen it since. I even moved/lifted all the rocks looking for him, didn't see a thing. Is he just hiding really good or has he been had? :huh:

I'd say let the other one out of the breeder box and see what happens. I've paired mine up by just letting the other one in and hoping for the best. If you don't see both of them out together within a few weeks, the didn't pair up.

Btw congrats on getting the pistols to pair ek! :D

thanks i paired the shrimp with goby pretty easily in my 2.5 gallon pairing tank.

i took your advice and just let him go out of the breeder box and he just went into the cave where my original yasha and shrimp made their home. nothing came out for 6 hours and then the original yasha came out alone. today has been 4 days since i let the new guy in and they both came out and hovered outside together. the smaller (original) one sometimes nudges the larger (new) one into the cave like they both do to the pistol shrimp.

i read here: http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtop...8228a77be0e9c3d

that they are visually sexually dimorphic. and after reading this i notice that my larger one has the black tip on the pelvic fin and a dorsal fin that is longer than its whole body while my smaller yasha doesnt have this black tip on the pelvic fin and the dorsal fin is less than the length of the body.

Nick's Reef

dude if that link you found is true then I don't have a true pair! Omg am I damn luck they haven turned on eachother, I hope i didn't just jinx myslef! :scarry:

Archived