SaltCritters.com

The Yasha Hashe Goby Thread!

Nick's Reef

I don't know what to tell ya, but when and if he comes out again get some crushe up shells and sprinkle then by the burrow, and he'll use them as a door! :D

Hey, any thoughts on if my pistol shrimp could have died? it's not on a rock that could have moved, so I don't think he could have been crushed. Also, the sand, is not quite fine deep sand, but, it's close. It's that live, Carib-See sand, so the grains are little thicker. However, I doubt too that a tunnel could have collapsed underneath the rock and burried him. I've also got no predators in the tank. I do have a red banded serpent star, some red legged hermits, and some large tonga nessarius. However, I doubt any of them could have done anything. Even if they did get into the burrow, they would have gotten the yasha's first. So, I'm at a lost.

Have you or anyone heard of the typical duration for a pistol shrimp molting? couple of days I would think? This is what my common cleaner does. However, for me, it's been 7 days and I haven't seen him or any signs of him. Strange.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay, just observed my yasha scooping up some sand and bringing it back to his burrow. He also scooped up some sand and moved it to another spot. Any insight into this? Is he doing this b/c the pistol shrimp died or is incapacitated (d/t exoskeleton hardening)?

thanks

Nick's Reef
okay, just observed my yasha scooping up some sand and bringing it back to his burrow. He also scooped up some sand and moved it to another spot. Any insight into this? Is he doing this b/c the pistol shrimp died or is incapacitated (d/t exoskeleton hardening)?

thanks

I think the pistol must have died, the longest I've ever not seen mine was for like mabye 3-4 days. I've never heard of this kind of behaviour either!?!?!

I ordered a pair this morning. They will be delivered next saturday!

Awesome, make sure to take pics as soon as possible!

Btw: is it a pair of gobies or just a shrimp and a goby?

Nick's Reef
Pair of gobies + shrimp.

Sweet! You'll love em, you see so much coller behaviour with a apir of gobies then a single one! :D

okay, just to give everyone an update. It's official, the pistol somehow died. I'm not sure what killed it. These are my guesses after keeping the pistol for over 2 weeks:

1. change in salinity d/t water change

2. Using Fluke Tabs as a dip on acro's (treating outside of tank) and residual that was still on the acro got into tank and killed the shrimp

3. my common cleaner shrimp killed it

4. hermits killed it

5. bad molt and died

6. it was old and it was just it's time to die

It's very strange. I'll have to be very careful with 1 and 2 the next time. I think reasons 3 and 4 are unlikely. However, I'll also just keep a real close eye on my cleaner shrimp.

Just got a new randalli pistol this past weekend. The yasha's jumped right in the burrow that he made under the same rock.

Fewskillz: You're going to love your pair! I like to call mine, "Mr. and Mrs. Yasha"!

Nick's Reef

The pistols are very sensitive to changes in waer quality at first to the wc probably did him in. Hopefully tour new pistol will live a long life. Also i like to call my pistola dn yasha's "The Tree Amigos". :D

bluegrizzlies1

My yasha and tiger pistol paired up finally. I changed the LR around and the next day they were paired up must of been a change to make them get together.

Nick's Reef
My yasha and tiger pistol paired up finally. I changed the LR around and the next day they were paired up must of been a change to make them get together.

Congrats!

For anyone who want s to see new pics of my pair and pistol just click the link in my sig and go to the last page of my tank thread!

bluegrizzlies1: it's great that your yasha and pistol paired up. now the fun can begin!

Nick's Reef: Great pics of your yasha's and pistol!! Question for you: Have you ever noticed your common cleaner shrimp get real aggressive around your pistol? Do you feed your cleaner shrimp at all? Mine is quite zealous when it comes to eating time. My pistol is barely 3/4", maybe 1". I just get hesitant that my common cleaner shrimp will injure him or, worse, try to eat him.

thanks

hey one more question: who do you think would win, my tiny randalli pistol shrimp or my giant common cleaner shrimp in a fight? I've heard pistol shrimps taking out cleaner shrimps, but not sure about tiny randalli's.

Nick's Reef
bluegrizzlies1: it's great that your yasha and pistol paired up. now the fun can begin!

Nick's Reef: Great pics of your yasha's and pistol!! Question for you: Have you ever noticed your common cleaner shrimp get real aggressive around your pistol? Do you feed your cleaner shrimp at all? Mine is quite zealous when it comes to eating time. My pistol is barely 3/4", maybe 1". I just get hesitant that my common cleaner shrimp will injure him or, worse, try to eat him.

thanks

Thanks, my cleaner dosen't bother my pistol at all it just really pisses my corals off at feeding time since he tries to pick the food right out of their mouth. He'll catch the leftovers so i guess i'm feeding him. There is now way that your cleaner could hurt the pistol, the gobies (atleast mine are) extremely protective of him. Yesterday the male goby kept nudging him back into the burrow cause my sunburst anthias was swimming around, and they aren't used to him yet since i got him a week ago. Plus the pistol has claws that could easilly kill the cleaner. I've heard of pistols breaking open snail shells like a mantis would. i really wish my pistol would get into a fight with the cleaner since the thing pisses me off so much (cleaner) just so i could get rid of him. this morning when i woke up I thought my rock nem had ate the cleaner case it wwas closed up and I saw somethin that looked like the tip of his tail. it turned out that the nem was closed up but the cleaner was messing with some zoos.

hey one more question: who do you think would win, my tiny randalli pistol shrimp or my giant common cleaner shrimp in a fight? I've heard pistol shrimps taking out cleaner shrimps, but not sure about tiny randalli's.

hey, thanks nick!

Yeah, I love my cleaner, but he's almost too efficient a cleaner. Anything that is not eaten by my fish gets eaten by him. It's almost amusing to watch him when I feed, because he goes absolutely nuts when I feed the fish. He'll start scurring around as though some gave him 20 cups of coffee.

So, b/c he's so hyper during feeding time, I see him sometimes trying to look for any food around the yasha/pistol burrow. Of course, when he starts getting real close, the yasha's signal my pistol to go back into the burrow, decreasing feeding time for them.

So, this leads to my next question. Do you directly feed your pistol? I think somebody's already answered this question. My guess is the answer is no as I've heard that the yasha's will feed the pistol. I've also seen my yasha's spit some food once in a while back into the burrow. However, I wasn't quite sure. Have you ever seen your yasha feed your pistol?

thanks and lovin this thread! Phu

hey, thanks nick!

Yeah, I love my cleaner, but he's almost too efficient a cleaner. Anything that is not eaten by my fish gets eaten by him. It's almost amusing to watch him when I feed, because he goes absolutely nuts when I feed the fish. He'll start scurring around as though some gave him 20 cups of coffee.

So, b/c he's so hyper during feeding time, I see him sometimes trying to look for any food around the yasha/pistol burrow. Of course, when he starts getting real close, the yasha's signal my pistol to go back into the burrow, decreasing feeding time for them.

So, this leads to my next question. Do you directly feed your pistol? I think somebody's already answered this question. My guess is the answer is no as I've heard that the yasha's will feed the pistol. I've also seen my yasha's spit some food once in a while back into the burrow. However, I wasn't quite sure. Have you ever seen your yasha feed your pistol?

thanks and lovin this thread! Phu

I actually have the opposite question. I put a little chunk of shrimp outside the burrow every few days. The pistol slowly comes out and then snatches it and disappears for the rest of the day. My yahsa is EXTREMELY shy, if I even walk within 10' of the tank he's gone in a flash. I can't figure out how to feed him if he doesn't come out. Will the pistol share food with the goby?

Nick's Reef
I actually have the opposite question. I put a little chunk of shrimp outside the burrow every few days. The pistol slowly comes out and then snatches it and disappears for the rest of the day. My yahsa is EXTREMELY shy, if I even walk within 10' of the tank he's gone in a flash. I can't figure out how to feed him if he doesn't come out. Will the pistol share food with the goby?

Now Idea what to tell you, the yasha may not get used to you for a month or so. Fish canlive for almost 30 days without food so the Yasha should be fine, and he's probably eating pods when he is out.

As for pealesrx question, i'll occasionally put some pellets next to the burrow and the shrimp will eat them, he'll also eat detrius and stuff when he's fixing the burrow, cause he'll shovel stuff into his mouth.

Now Idea what to tell you, the yasha may not get used to you for a month or so. Fish canlive for almost 30 days without food so the Yasha should be fine, and he's probably eating pods when he is out.

As for pealesrx question, i'll occasionally put some pellets next to the burrow and the shrimp will eat them, he'll also eat detrius and stuff when he's fixing the burrow, cause he'll shovel stuff into his mouth.

cool, thanks for the info. I tried that last night, but my nessarius and my cleaner shrimp grabbed both of them before the yasha or the pistol could get them as they were still hiding in their burrow. I think what I'll try to do is feed my cleaner first and then try to feed my yashas/pistol. I used this strategy when feeding my bta. It definitely kept the cleaner shrimp at bay.

On another note, any of you guys ever see your yasha feed your pistol?

Nick's Reef
On another note, any of you guys ever see your yasha feed your pistol?

Nope, but I've seen my pistol clean the yashas in the manner a cleaner shrimp would clean a tang! :)

Okay, good news. I directly fed my cleaner shrimp before feeding any one else. He grabbed his share of mysis and ran to the corner of the tank!! I was then free to feed my yashas/pistol!! Good stuff.

Yeah, I've seen my pistol clean my yasha's too! Endless entertainement!

bluegrizzlies1
Okay, good news. I directly fed my cleaner shrimp before feeding any one else. He grabbed his share of mysis and ran to the corner of the tank!! I was then free to feed my yashas/pistol!! Good stuff.

Yeah, I've seen my pistol clean my yasha's too! Endless entertainement!

So you got another pistol if so what kind?

Nick's Reef
So you got another pistol if so what kind?

I belive he got a Randall's aka Candy Stripe pistol. That's what most people pair their yashas with because in the wild they pair exclusivly with that pistol.

Yep. got another randalli pistol shrimp. He's real tiny though, maybe about 0.75". So, this is why I was getting paranoid whenever my cleaner started getting real close. Gotta get the pistol nice and big so he can defend himself and show off his pistol.

FYI: I came home from work and my pistol dug 2 different openings, one for each yasha. It was almost as though they were a married couple in a fight! haha. By the time I got my camera (about an hour later), the male never came out and my female only was out. Wish I could have gotten a pic. It was kind of funny.

bluegrizzlies1
I saw at Coral Oasis a Yasha Hashe Goby paired with a shrimp for 50 bucks. Was that a good deal?

yes great deal go get them

shrimp alone 20-25 bucks

yasha alone 50-70 bucks

Nick's Reef
I saw at Coral Oasis a Yasha Hashe Goby paired with a shrimp for 50 bucks. Was that a good deal?

yep, I payed $85 for my pair of gobies and $21 for my shrimp so yeah, that's a good deal.

Archived