ReefCleaners.org

The Yasha Hashe Goby Thread!

Nick's Reef

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nick's Reef

^^ Beautiful pair, I take my statement back from my last post i just woke up and one of them was hovering outside and he had the little mark on his fin.

eklikewhoa

Beautiful looking trio!

I am looking for another Yashia to pair my goby now but wanna look locally since shipping is so outrageous for a single fish.

mullingitover

I added a tiny trimma goby to the tank with my yashia/pistol pair. It's amusing because the trimma isn't intimidated by the yashia's gulping displays. It'll swim around the yashia at feeding time, with the goby seeming visibly annoyed by it but not willing to go to the trouble of attacking.

Keanu Reefs

I'm hoping to try the pistol/goby combo a 2nd time and I'll explain:

I bought a tangaroa goby and a pistol from Liveaquaria a while back. Introduced them together and after a few hours they paired up. I saw the 2 of them for 2 days and everything was ok but the goby was lackluster at best and not eating. I chalked this up to being in a new place and hoping he would come around in a few days. Well the goby disappeared and we didn't see him for 3 days but we could find the pistol no problem.

After the 3rd day of no goby and a sudden nitrate spike I got desperate to find him and started moving live rock into holding tubs, I needed to redo my aquascape anyways as nothing was too stable and having no coral yet figured this would be the perfect opportunity. I moved all of my CuC and the pistol into a temp tank and removed all of the live rock but could not, and I mean could NOT find any evidence of the goby. He was gone/AWOL/disappeared off the face of the earth. I even sifted my sand with no remains/carcass anything.

After hours of poking in and around the live rock with a flashlight my wife and I came to the realization that he was no where, I even searched my rear chambers and nothing. We rescaped the the tank and all of our rock is now stable and is a much better setup, the CuC and the pistol went back in and have been thriving so no harm with the move, but I did find something of interest...well 2 somethings...crabs :(

They were LR hitchikers and I've identified 1 as a Xanthea crab which I cannot catch for the life of me and the other is purple with a smooth body but may have black tips. It's hard to tell because the Xanthea is only the size of a nickel and the other is a bit smaller and they never leave the rock to get a chance to net them. I'm sorry this is longwinded but I felt I needed this setup to get to my questions lol.

1. Is it possible that these 2 crabs were responsible for the demise of my Goby?

1a. Or could it be the Goby was sick to begin with and they just finished him off?

2. Should I hold off introducing another Goby until I can somehow get these 2 crabs out of my system?

2a. Or would a healthy Goby just let the crabs know "don't mess with me"

Sorry again for the length.

So finally two weeks to the day after I got my second yasha did I finally spot him in the tank. I had almost given him up for dead after moving rocks and not finding him.

Now, he spends most of this time out in the open except when I walk in the room, then he dives for cover. My original yasha I've had for a couple months is never out in the open, always hiding in it's dart hole, but wil come out a bit at feeding time.

Is there any reason they act so differently, one out and about, the other hiding? They are at opposite ends of the tank basically, I don't even know if they know the other one is there.

Anyone with more experience with them want to chime in?

jeremyault

I have had mine for about a month and today was the first time that I have been able to get a descent (not the best) picture. He seems to be out in the open quite a bit, but he always knows when I have the camera out. I would like to get a pistol for him to pair with sometime in the future.

IMG_0935.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes!! I finally get to join this thread!! I got my pair of yasha gobies paired with a randalli pistol!

Question for you guys:

1. What do you guys feed your yashas?

2. How do you feed them?

3. The burrow that their in doesn't get a lot of mysis or flakes float by their burrow. So, what I've been is taking some feeding tongs and placing some mysis down their so they can grab them. Any tips?

4. I noticed the male swimming very aggressively towards the front glass. I guess he sees his reflection. Is this bad in the long run that he shows this much aggression? He was so pre-occupied with getting aggressive with his reflection that he didn't eat any mysis that floated by.

5. How far does your yasha travel from his/her burrow to grab food?

Thanks for any help!!

194_9495.jpg

I have had mine for about a month and today was the first time that I have been able to get a descent (not the best) picture. He seems to be out in the open quite a bit, but he always knows when I have the camera out. I would like to get a pistol for him to pair with sometime in the future.

IMG_0935.jpg

Definitely add a pistol if you can!! I actually added my pair 1 week before adding my pistol. The pair found the pistol within 12 hours.

HTH

So finally two weeks to the day after I got my second yasha did I finally spot him in the tank. I had almost given him up for dead after moving rocks and not finding him.

Now, he spends most of this time out in the open except when I walk in the room, then he dives for cover. My original yasha I've had for a couple months is never out in the open, always hiding in it's dart hole, but wil come out a bit at feeding time.

Is there any reason they act so differently, one out and about, the other hiding? They are at opposite ends of the tank basically, I don't even know if they know the other one is there.

Anyone with more experience with them want to chime in?

Sounds like they're both the same sex? How big is your tank? Probably just different personalities, too.

I actually had sent to me from an onine vendor 3 yashas (2 were paired, 1 wasn't) and no pistol when I tried to order a pair yashas w/a pistol. At that time, I couldn't tell which one was the pair, so I put all 3 together in a 28g. Within a day, the male/female found each other. The third was probably a female as she didn't have a brown spot on her pectoral fin. She hung out in the front of the tank in a seperate cave.

Now that I have a pair, my male is much more out in the open and getting aggressive with his reflection. The female tends to "house sit".

HTH

hmmm

at the lfs i noticed that there were groups of them hanging out together and not fighting but they told me that if two pair up and make one home with a pistol shrimp then they are guaranteed to be opposite sexes.

heres a photo of my three:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seosoft/2469709722/sizes/l/

Gorgeous trio!! Looks like your pistol is cleaning one of the yashas??

Nick's Reef
Yes!! I finally get to join this thread!! I got my pair of yasha gobies paired with a randalli pistol!

Question for you guys:

1. What do you guys feed your yashas?

2. How do you feed them?

3. The burrow that their in doesn't get a lot of mysis or flakes float by their burrow. So, what I've been is taking some feeding tongs and placing some mysis down their so they can grab them. Any tips?

4. I noticed the male swimming very aggressively towards the front glass. I guess he sees his reflection. Is this bad in the long run that he shows this much aggression? He was so pre-occupied with getting aggressive with his reflection that he didn't eat any mysis that floated by.

5. How far does your yasha travel from his/her burrow to grab food?

Thanks for any help!!

1. I feed mine pellets, mysis, and cyclopeeze. Lately it's been only mysis since that's all my geometric hawk will eat.

2. Mine will run down food it I just dump it in, but with the hawk I have to use a turkey baster to get it to the hawk so i'll put the baster next to their burrow , wait for them to come out then let the food out.

3. Just use a turkey baster or your method is fine.

4. the male is probably pissed at you! Mine still shows agressive displays towards me and i've had the pair for almost two years!

5. Mine will go to the other end of the tank (ap24) and eat pellets from the surface!

Hope I helpped, and btw you have a gourgeous pair. I need to get some new pics of mine. :D

1. I feed mine pellets, mysis, and cyclopeeze. Lately it's been only mysis since that's all my geometric hawk will eat.

2. Mine will run down food it I just dump it in, but with the hawk I have to use a turkey baster to get it to the hawk so i'll put the baster next to their burrow , wait for them to come out then let the food out.

3. Just use a turkey baster or your method is fine.

4. the male is probably pissed at you! Mine still shows agressive displays towards me and i've had the pair for almost two years!

5. Mine will go to the other end of the tank (ap24) and eat pellets from the surface!

Hope I helpped, and btw you have a gourgeous pair. I need to get some new pics of mine. :D

Thanks for the info!! You have a beautiful pair, too!! I absolutely love these fish! They have so much character!

Question: How long did it take for your yashas to start moving to different ends of the tank to get food?

Thanks!

Nick's Reef
Question: How long did it take for your yashas to start moving to different ends of the tank to get food?

Thanks!

They were first in a 5g. pico by themselves for over a year and never really had to move for food. But then in the aquapod about as soon as the came out reguarlly to just check things out they would run down food. :D

Thanks Nick!

Mine are starting to get more bold now. Today, I just saw my female swim a good 10 inches from the burrow for a minute or two, then returned. It was about the time of day that I feed them, though. I guess she's picked up on the feeding schedule already!

One odd thing I noticed is that for the last 2 days, they'll only eat a couple of frozen mysis, then stop eating. However, they're still swimming out of their burrow, above the sand as though they're still hungry even though food floats right by them. Do they get full that quickly?

I will though that my pair of percs, nessarius, cleaner shrimp, and hermits are loving the extra frozen mysis!

Thanks for any help!

Since I am switching over to a 20 long next week I was thinking of making it into a "Stoniogops Yasha and Pistol Shrimp Symbiotic biotope". Anyone have any info on their natural habitat?

• 2 weeks later...
Nick's Reef
Thanks Nick!

one odd thing I noticed is that for the last 2 days, they'll only eat a couple of frozen mysis, then stop eating. However, they're still swimming out of their burrow, above the sand as though they're still hungry even though food floats right by them. Do they get full that quickly?

Thanks for any help!

Yeah, mine get full after about two mysis, but they are out all day and constsntly eat pods and guard their burrow.

Yeah, mine get full after about two mysis, but they are out all day and constsntly eat pods and guard their burrow.

Thanks for the info!!

Another question: Does your pistol shrimp ever go for a couple of days hiding in the burrow? For the last 2 days, I haven't seen him come out when the yashas are out. He usually does. I'm wondering if he's molting and possibly hiding while his new shell is hardening??

So I read this thread yesterday and thought that they sounded pretty cool. Today I walk into my LFS and what do I see?? Two pairs of yasha/tiger pistols. $70 later, I'm on my way home with one of the pairs :-)

The shrimp has moved so much sand I can't believe it. I'm guessing the goby is with him, but I can't see them where he's building right now. Do they usually make a burrow where they get light? I might have to rescape to fill the big opening I have.

Nick's Reef
Thanks for the info!!

Another question: Does your pistol shrimp ever go for a couple of days hiding in the burrow? For the last 2 days, I haven't seen him come out when the yashas are out. He usually does. I'm wondering if he's molting and possibly hiding while his new shell is hardening??

Yeah, mine will hide for a few days at a time, he probably is molting. :D

So I read this thread yesterday and thought that they sounded pretty cool. Today I walk into my LFS and what do I see?? Two pairs of yasha/tiger pistols. $70 later, I'm on my way home with one of the pairs :-)

The shrimp has moved so much sand I can't believe it. I'm guessing the goby is with him, but I can't see them where he's building right now. Do they usually make a burrow where they get light? I might have to rescape to fill the big opening I have.

Congrats on getting a great fish! :D As for them making a burrow, they'll make it where ever the please.

So I tried feeding them today. I put a chunk of shrimp near where I suspected their burrow entrance is. The shrimp poked his head out and then darted back inside. Before I knew it, he popped out of another hole on the complete other side of the area. He grabbed the chunk and in a flash, he was gone!

Still haven't seen the goby since he went in, but I'm hoping the shrimp is sharing with him. Do they usually hide for a while??

They usually do hide for a while. Mine hid for several days before I spoted them in my cave. I've heard other's hiding for longer though.

thanks for the info. nick's reef. I suspected mine was molting. However, I haven't seen him in about 5 days and I haven't seen any sand moved around during that time. I hope he's molting, too! Let me know if the aspect of the sand not being moved around changes what you think is going on. thanks!

Nick's Reef
They usually do hide for a while. Mine hid for several days before I spoted them in my cave. I've heard other's hiding for longer though.

thanks for the info. nick's reef. I suspected mine was molting. However, I haven't seen him in about 5 days and I haven't seen any sand moved around during that time. I hope he's molting, too! Let me know if the aspect of the sand not being moved around changes what you think is going on. thanks!

Sometimes mine will come out and just sit at the entrance but won't move sand. I think it's because he has it the way he want's it but this doesn't happen very often. Most of the time he's busy as a bee. :D

Sometimes mine will come out and just sit at the entrance but won't move sand. I think it's because he has it the way he want's it but this doesn't happen very often. Most of the time he's busy as a bee. :D

Yeah, I absolutely love these little guys!! I just hope he closes up the burrow soon for my yashas at night! Every night for the last week, the burrow is left open. He typically closes it for them. I have to admit. I am starting to get a little worried as even my common cleaner shrimp won't hide for this long when he molts.

Nick's Reef
Yeah, I absolutely love these little guys!! I just hope he closes up the burrow soon for my yashas at night! Every night for the last week, the burrow is left open. He typically closes it for them. I have to admit. I am starting to get a little worried as even my common cleaner shrimp won't hide for this long when he molts.

I don't know what to tell ya, but when and if he comes out again get some crushe up shells and sprinkle then by the burrow, and he'll use them as a door! :D

Archived