Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Yasha Hashe Goby Thread!

Nick's Reef

Just picked up a baby yasha and a tiger pistol (paired for a few months) about 40 minutes ago from my LFS. Gonna let them acclimate for about an hour and then put them in.

I just hope this thunderstorm rolling in won't knock out my power first.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got a new tiger pistol shrimp last night. Acclimated him, he dove right in and started digging. Came home last night, didn't see him (no big surprise) and then saw what looked like Pistol shrimp 'parts' being picked on by hermit crabs. It looked like a molt, mostly just exoskeleton and no 'meat'.

I haven't seen my Yasha since I put him in, so I hope he just molted and caved up with the Goby for a few days....I hope....

Hopefully he just molted due to the stress of being in a new tank, and is hiding away in the rocks. I've never lost any live stock right after an acclimation, so I'd feel bad if this pistol was the first.

IMG_0883%20(Large).jpg

IMG_0884%20(Large)%20(2).jpg

Digging away immediately after putting him in the tank...god I hope he just molted and didn't die.

IMG_0887%20(Large).jpg

Hey, let us know if he is ok. He is a beauty.

The yasha and pistol are in. The first thing the pistol did was head over to my frogspawn and start clipping at it. Man that thing is loud! I had to push him away with my turkey baster so he wouldn't kill it. Now it looks like he's just pushing sand around but hasn't found an ideal spot.

The yasha, however ,is just sitting in the same spot since he floated down in the tank. He doesn't seem scared of me being near the tank at all, which is nice. I just hope they don't build their burrow facing the rear of the tank.

Nick's Reef
The yasha and pistol are in. The first thing the pistol did was head over to my frogspawn and start clipping at it. Man that thing is loud! I had to push him away with my turkey baster so he wouldn't kill it. Now it looks like he's just pushing sand around but hasn't found an ideal spot.

The yasha, however ,is just sitting in the same spot since he floated down in the tank. He doesn't seem scared of me being near the tank at all, which is nice. I just hope they don't build their burrow facing the rear of the tank.

The yasha should be fine, when i added my pair and pistol from my 5g to my ap24 the gobies just sat in the corner and the started working. After a few days they found eachother and were out reglarly.

So last night the pistol went to work and made the cave! I was worried that he would build one that I wouldn't be able to see into, but that isn't the case. It has 2 entrances and I can see well into one of them and partially into the other (macro shots to come, hopefully). He also moved all the empty snail/hermit shells near the entrances so he can seal himself and the goby up if he chooses. So cool!

Oh and the sand mound that he put in front of the main entrance is HUGE. My rockwork forms and arch in the center and it almost fills up the gap in the arch (3inches high).

Well, after such a short time in his new home, my new yasha hashe goby has left this world. At some point in time last night, he found the tiny space that is not covered by my Nova Extreme t5 lights and hopped out of the tank. I found him around 8am this morning under my desk...

The pistol is in grieving.. he made new tunnels, perhaps in an attempt to find his friend.

He was so pretty, too.

Nick's Reef
Well, after such a short time in his new home, my new yasha hashe goby has left this world. At some point in time last night, he found the tiny space that is not covered by my Nova Extreme t5 lights and hopped out of the tank. I found him around 8am this morning under my desk...

The pistol is in grieving.. he made new tunnels, perhaps in an attempt to find his friend.

He was so pretty, too.

Poor little guy, that really stinks man, they're such great fish. At least know you know to keep a top over the tank.

Edit: Well i forgot to tell you guys that mt mlae yasha hasn't come out for almost the last 4 days. This is either a sign that they are mating. link:Information on Breeding and Raising Stonogobiops Yasha. I have had my pair for almost 2 years so it wouldn't suprise me a bit. Or the male died, and the only reason I can think of is old age which is highly unlikely.

Nick's Reef

well my male is officially dead, i check uner the rocks they hide under and found a feamale yasha and a pistol. I'm so pissed/sad he was an awesome fish that I loved to death. i'm going to hunt for another one.

well my male is officially dead, i check uner the rocks they hide under and found a feamale yasha and a pistol. I'm so pissed/sad he was an awesome fish that I loved to death. i'm going to hunt for another one.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your male yasha. Do you know what the life expectancy of the yasha's are? I'm a little surprised that he passed away.

Hope you find a new one soon!

Nick's Reef
I'm sorry to hear that you lost your male yasha. Do you know what the life expectancy of the yasha's are? I'm a little surprised that he passed away.

Hope you find a new one soon!

I have no clue what the life expectancy is of Stonogobiops yasha. i'd like to know also. Hopefully i will find a male soon.

I have no clue what the life expectancy is of Stonogobiops yasha. i'd like to know also. Hopefully i will find a male soon.

Hope you're able to find another bro!!!

On a positive note, my LFS just called... My pair came in :happydance: , and they even have Pistols in!!! $120.00 for the three of 'em!!!

On a positive note, my LFS just called... My pair came in :happydance: , and they even have Pistols in!!! $120.00 for the three of 'em!!!

Great find!!!! Keep everone updated!

Nick's Reef

Awesome, can't wait to see pics.

I'm also considering not getting another male and just keep my female, I saw a cute naked clown at the lfs and might get him or just stick with 3 fish.

Awesome, can't wait to see pics.

I'm also considering not getting another male and just keep my female, I saw a cute naked clown at the lfs and might get him or just stick with 3 fish.

That's not a bad idea at all bro!

I've always loved the naked clowns as well!

I know I've seen this somewhere, but how do you tell the difference between the males and females again...

Great find!!!! Keep everone updated!

I will for sure!!!

Nick's Reef
I know I've seen this somewhere, but how do you tell the difference between the males and females again...

Males have a dark spot on the back of the two joind fins right behind their gills on their tummy.

Males have a dark spot on the back of the two joind fins right behind their gills on their tummy.

Thanks bro!!!

FINALLY!!!

Got my Yashe Hase pair along with a Candy Cane Pistol!!!

I'm worried about one of the Yashe's though... He is hanging around barely moving and breathing really hard. The Candy Cane and the other Yashe have made home out of sight... All my parameters are in check... Man, I hope the little guy makes it!!! :unsure:

Anyways...

YasheHaseGobbiesDSLR017.jpg

YasheHaseGobbiesDSLR016.jpg

YasheHaseGobbiesDSLR007.jpg

YasheHaseGobbies005.jpg

YasheHaseGobbies004.jpg

YasheHaseGobbies003.jpg

YasheHaseGobbies002.jpg

YasheHaseGobbies001.jpg

24hrs later... I'm down to a single Yashe!!! Man, this sucks!!! I tested everything yesterday, and all was good???

I feel horrible for killing this little guy!!!

On the life expectancy of a yasha, a local LFS has had 2 pairs in his main display tank for 7 years. So... at least 7 years :D

24hrs later... I'm down to a single Yashe!!! Man, this sucks!!! I tested everything yesterday, and all was good???

I feel horrible for killing this little guy!!!

Hmmm, considering he died as soon as you got him, sounds like the shipping may have killed him. Usually, they're rather tough!

Sorry to hear about your loss!

On the life expectancy of a yasha, a local LFS has had 2 pairs in his main display tank for 7 years. So... at least 7 years :D

good info. I'm hoping mine will survive that long. They may have to survive a move though as I'll probably be moving my tank in a couple of years. Thanks for the info!

Hmmm, considering he died as soon as you got him, sounds like the shipping may have killed him. Usually, they're rather tough!

Sorry to hear about your loss!

Thanks! Thing is... He wasn't shipped. I picked them up at a LFS about an hour away from me! It was a pretty damn hot day, but I tried to keep the temp stable?

sry to hear about your animal

Thanks... Man, it sucks knowing, or thinking, I had a part is the demise of this little guy!

lilredneckman

Wow man sorry to hear about your loss. But at least the other two are doing well.

I am so jealous of your photography and your tank! It is simply amazing!!!!

Wow man sorry to hear about your loss. But at least the other two are doing well.

I am so jealous of your photography and your tank! It is simply amazing!!!!

Thanks!!!

I'm assuming the other two are ok... I haven't seen them, just the pile of sand, and burrow?

Well I got a male yasha for my lone female today, pics on my tank thread! :D

Congrats bro... I'll check him out!!!

Archived