Pod Your Reef

The Yasha Hashe Goby Thread!

Nick's Reef

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My yasha (also named yoshi) is still patiently awaiting a shrimp. I purchased one but he got into a filter chamber and then into the protein skimmer and. . .yeah. Now I ordered one to come in and my LFS got 2 and both died with them. Now I paid ahead of time and the shrimp should come in Thurs. When I got the first shrimp, he went to the opposite end of the goby when they were both introduced so they never truly paired. I have a pic to share of my goby to though. . .

yasha1.jpg?t=1245034463

yasha2.jpg

• 1 month later...
Justin_Freebords

so mine disappeared today, i dont think it jumped because i checked all around the tank. Is it possible it made a burrow in the sand without a pistol shrimp? Its just the goby...im nervous

edit: well it turns out he did make his own burrow under the rocks and was out the next day. Nice little scare haha

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Curly Joe Reefer

just got on of these little guy's yesterday. The 1st time i've ever seen them in person they definetly live up to the hype hahah. Anyways he's gone into hiding hopefully i'll see him tonight at feeding time.

Not a good photo.

DSC_0184.jpg

Mine NEVER EVER comes out. They only sit at the entrance of the tunnel and wait for food to pass by.That photo shows how far they will only go. Ive had them for about 2 months now. I got them both for 50 bucks.

I call them Bonnie and Clyde, they killed two yellow clown gobys and ate them. (I think) I believe they dragged the body into the burrow and ate it there. I see bits of yellow flesh around the entrance of the burrow.

I think I want another goby.

This is/was mine:

_DNG0078.jpg

I've had him about two weeks and his pistol shrimp about one week. The shrimp was hard at work I guess because I only saw him once but I saw his tunnels, plus the Yasha kept appearing out of nowhere.

I moved my tank to the new apartment yesterday though and I can't find either of them! I went through the sand and didn't find them, hopefully they were in the rocks. :( I'm so sad, I'm hoping they reappear soon. If not, I'll have to get a new pair, they were awesome.

• 1 month later...
Nick_Chisholm
Then get one my pair only costed me $90 then the shrimp was $21. :D

i only paid $12 for my yasha and $7 for the shrimp! i pay what my boss pays. i work at a LFS.theyre awsome

i only paid $12 for my yasha and $7 for the shrimp! i pay what my boss pays. i work at a LFS.theyre awsome

Dang! I realize LFS need to make a profit..... but talk about mark-up! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
twelve volt pro

I finally got my Yasha! I would love to post pics, but he never comes out of the burrow. The LFS got one in last week and I took him before he was even acclimated to their tanks. $35 for the fish I have wanted since I got into the hobby, I am happy! Now I want to get a pistol for him. I have a bullseye pistol but I have read that the bullseye is not one for symbiotic relationships. Oh well. If the two wont get along Ill take the bullseye back when I get the pistol.

I just picked up my Yashia and Tiger Pistol shrimp on tuesday. 40 for the goby, and 20 for the shrimp. I put them in the tank at seperate times since I acclimated in 2 containers and only have 1 drip line. The shrimp found my recently melted acan skeleton and went nuts getting underneath it, no matter what was in its way. The goby, who was paired with a Japanese pistol shrimp ($45) at the LFS, went over to the shrimp, which immediately stopped digging. They looked at each other for a few seconds, and the shrimp went back to work, while the goby swam into the rocks. I didnt see them at all, but saw 1 little tunnel yesterday, so I shot a little food in there. Im thikning they paird last night,this morning I wake up and the tanks a mess. My rainbow, and black and gold acan frags both found their way over to the tunnel and became doors! That shrimps got balls! Moved them back, now they're about 6 inches away. Hopefully theyll be ok. I checked under the acan skeleton and the shirmps not there, so thats good.I love the idea of the relationship they form, just hoping to start seeing them more. They probably have an extensive tunnel by now :)

Don't worry about the clowns. The goby is a tiny bit territorial but a clown will be able to hold it's own and it won't be a problem. The only thing that would really tick off any goby pair is either another type of burrowing goby or fish, or another male of the same species.

That's still low for those fish wholesale.

Is it me, or are the gobies in both previous pictures a little on the skinny side?

Yeah but now mine is a fat pig. That was two months ago, now he has a huge belly.

Yeah but now mine is a fat pig. That was two months ago, now he has a huge belly.

My female have seen to have lost her LONG spike fin, is a lot shorter now. I got a pair about a week ago with a candy stripe pistol and the female have seem to have lost half of her spike fin, is not as long anymore. Does anyone know what?

Nor_Cal_Cuber
My female have seen to have lost her LONG spike fin, is a lot shorter now. I got a pair about a week ago with a candy stripe pistol and the female have seem to have lost half of her spike fin, is not as long anymore. Does anyone know what?

That happened to mine as well, thinking it will grow back like any other fin.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I got myself a Yasha goby today, but as soon as it was in the tank ZOOM it was gone!How long did it take your guys to start appearing again???

Thanks

SeaSerpant

Archived