ReefCleaners.org

The Yasha Hashe Goby Thread!

Nick's Reef

bluemeanies9
Would this type of goby get along with a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse, Yellow Watchman Goby and a Firefish Goby?

Can they be kept in a small tank?

For what it's worth: I had the starvation experience with a Yasha that seemed intimidated by a Randall's goby and aYellow Watchman. I tried again, this time buying a pair. The smaller one moved in with my yellowhead jawfish, and the other disappeared for a while. They have since reunited and are swimming all over the tank, especially when I throw in finely carved Mysis shrimp. I think the difference has to do mostly with the smaller number of and/or less imposing fellow bottom dwellers. They are in a 65 gal. reef tank with a Bartlett's Anthias, Geometric Hawkfish, Ocellaris Clown, Yellowhead Jawfish, Rainford's Goby and Yellow Assessor.

I want to add a pistol shrimp, but have two concerns: (1) the Geometric Hawkfish (currently classified as an Anthias); and (2) potential fighting between them over the shrimp, and whether they will remain a couple. Any experience with either concern

out there?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright so I just want to share this pic because I am FRIGGIN THRILLED to have found that my Yasha that I purchased last week is not only alive but eating!

I bought him last Thursday, and I hadn't seen him since with the exception of a reworking of the aquascape last weekend.

This is the first time I've caught him outside his little cave, and all it took was sitting in patience for an hour with my camera on a tripod trained on this one spot. W00t!

Yashiahaze-10-11-12_zpsfb5007f1.jpg

• 4 months later...

I plan on getting a YHG/Randals Shrimp and allow them time to settle and establish their territory. As my last fish, I was planning on a Longnose Hawkfish.

Will this combination result in trouble?? Are the Longnose Hawkfish really aggressors, especially against gobies?

Thanks.

I'm going back and forth between this fish and a hi fin red banded goby. Decisions, decisions...

I have a hi fin and he's a neat little guy. Stripes are a nice addition to my tank. Yasha would bring a neat look into my tank too

• 1 month later...
star4latecomer

I'm on day two of having my Yasha Goby and Pistol Shrimp pair. They are adorable. They have created a little home in the front left hand corner of my tank (Biocube 29). The shrimp obviously doesn't think I can see him. They have blocked themselves in away from the rest of the tank. Silly things.

post-79581-0-55757400-1365469145_thumb.jpg

Way cute! :)

I just bought a yasha today, they did not have a pistol. I'm pretty bummed right now though as he went into my rocks right after I released him and I haven't seen him since. I've read that they can hide for a while but it still sucks.

You are so lucky you can see yours!

• 3 months later...

My Yasha and Candy Pistol shrimp have been in my tank for just over 4 days now. They seem to be happy and are eating, however, they've taken up separate residences in LR on opposite ends of the tank. They really only come up to eat, so I'm wondering, will they ever find each other this way? Why would they leave a perfectly nice LR home in search of sand home partner? What do I do...is there a way to gently oust them of their current holes and force them to meet up?

SouthFlorida_Tron

You can keep a Yasha without a shrimp,it would probably be out more with a shrimp and it looks a whole lot cooler with a shrimp :)

• 2 years later...

Here is my pair of Yasha's and their shrimp.

IMG_3823.jpg

Has anyone else that has had these long term noticed them turning black like mine are?

I didn't even know this thread existed. Nice bump!

I've had mine for 2 years in February. I haven't noticed any pigment change in that time. My shrimp sure has grown though.

I did read in one place that the males have black on the pectoral fins, but the females do not... however I haven't been able to find that claim supported elsewhere.

That is a fantastic picture! And it seems to support the "black mark on pectoral fin" thing for sexing. I guess mine is indeed a girl then.

Here's a bigger version of my sig picture:

pistol_zps30343cf9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my yasha goby since May, and latley have noticed his top fin has been getting shorter. Looking at pics from when I first got it, it is significant shorter now. Any idea what could be causing this? Seems to be healthy otherwise.

I've had my yasha goby since May, and latley have noticed his top fin has been getting shorter. Looking at pics from when I first got it, it is significant shorter now. Any idea what could be causing this? Seems to be healthy otherwise.

You have other fish in the tank? They may be nipping at it.

Archived