Top Shelf Aquatics

The Yasha Hashe Goby Thread!

Nick's Reef

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

i know that there is mostly american people on here but does anyone know where to buy these online? do you know NORK?

• 1 month later...

I finally got me a Yasha Goby to pair with my Candy Stripe Pistol Shrimp which has been doing good, although rarely seen, for about 6 months now...

After aclimation, the goby swam around in the open water for a while, I got some great pics I will post soon, and then he settled right in to a hole which either he knew, or by luck, was right where the shrimp lived. In just a few minutes they were both popping their heads out, so I'm gonna consider the pairing a success :D

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up a Yasha On Mar 12 and a Tiger Pistol on March 19. My Yasha seemed to like the Tiger at first more than the other way around and lost his sail fin. They seem to be a pair now. This whole pairing thing seems to be one of the coolest things ever. My camera is nearby so maybe I can catch them in act. Saw somebody earlier say the fin grows back. I hope so the Yasha was so pretty with it up.

• 3 months later...

Hi I have a question on the shrimp. So I checked the import list for Hawaii and the candy cane pistol is unfortunately not on it. (very strict import for inverts) However I can easily get a Yasha Goby, and there is one type of pistol shrimp that I can get it is a Hawaiian endemic called the Hawaiian Shrimp Goby ( Alpheus rapax)

Do you think the Yasha will pair up with the shrimp? any ever had/seen/heard of a Yasha paring with any other shrimp besides the candy cane?

thanks

lakshwadeep

If the Alpheus rapax (the common name "hawaiian shrimp goby" seems inaccurate for a shrimp) pairs with other shrimp gobies, especially in the genus Stonogobiops (which includes S. yasha), you might have success. I've seen yasha hazes paired with tiger pistol shrimp (Alpheus bellulus), so other shrimp are possible. Note that you don't need a pistol shrimp to keep any shrimp goby (or vice versa).

How well would one of these do in a open top 24G. I'm about to move my tank and during the process catch my YWG/tiger pair and trade them in. Going to get another type of goby/shrimp pair and these guys intrigue me.

lakshwadeep

Any shrimp goby (or any goby, for that matter) can jump, but it's not as common as actively swimming fish like firefish.

If the Alpheus rapax (the common name "hawaiian shrimp goby" seems inaccurate for a shrimp) pairs with other shrimp gobies, especially in the genus Stonogobiops (which includes S. yasha), you might have success. I've seen yasha hazes paired with tiger pistol shrimp (Alpheus bellulus), so other shrimp are possible. Note that you don't need a pistol shrimp to keep any shrimp goby (or vice versa).

Hello thanks for the reply, here is the ID guide

I did get the name wrong it was Hawaiian Goby Shrimp :blush:

Yes I think it is a odd name aswell

Here is my male/female pair of gobies. Like others in this thread, they came with a pistol, who vanished after a week, never to be heard popping again.

100_1203.jpg

Easy sexing guide~!

Females have clear bottom fins. Males have a dark 'spot' on them. you can barely see the males on the bottom in my pic. In captivity, for some reason, those are said to eventually vanish.

Yes, they eat all sorts of meaty things. Mine eat any food that hits the tank.

They are rather aggressive little things. Mine got into a fight with my purple fire fish (the male) and lost. The top fin was gone. Grown almost completely back in 2 weeks.

That's interesting about the sexing, always heard that they weren't 'sexable' -is that a word? I'm going to have to take a closer look at mine, but it's probably a female. If it hasn't vanished as said.

Yashas are. But, as I said-the longer in captivity, a male may begin to look female. I think its likely to do with us not feeding something that they eat in the wild.

I've tried pairing Yashas, both without the dark spot at the pelvic fins, and they ended up fighting with each other. I quickly swapped another with the dark spot, and they paired up within a day, hence I'm pretty sure their sexing should be related to the dark spot on the pelvic fins.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Reviving an old thread I have had a brown tiger pistol for some time (maybe 4 months) and recently added a yasha goby to the tank which immediately went in one of my pistol shrimp entrances. The goby disappeared for about 3 days which I was expecting longer. For the last two weeks the goby and shrimp were always together coming out at feeding time with the shrimp always working on their entrance. All of a sudden today the goby is out of the tunnels sitting on the bottom of the tank out front rather than with the shrimp which is on the back right side of the tank. Is this normal for them to separate is there possibly something wrong with my goby?

Hmmm, seems strange, but don't know...

And sad to say, but about the time I moved my whole tank about a 100 miles, which went great by the way, I noticed my Yasha and Peppermint Pistol were missing - either they are still in deep hiding with all the rock and tank moving and will come out soon, or I am guessing my Arc-Eyed Hawkfish got a little hungry in between longer-than-normal feedings and snacked on them before the move - too bad if that's case, but I will definitely be picking up another pair eventually...

here's another

to a video of my pair doin' their thing, make sure you watch in 720p or 1080p HD B)

Would this type of goby get along with a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse, Yellow Watchman Goby and a Firefish Goby?

Can they be kept in a small tank?

• 2 months later...

Sadly, my Yasha died the other day, after about 3 months in my Solana 34 and 5 weeks in quarantine before that. I'm pretty certain he starved. He would never venture more than 2-3 inches from the burrow he shared with his Randall's shrimp, which was unfortunately in a place where not much suspended food traveled. I ONLY ever saw him at feeding time, but even then, he was too shy to take most of what floated near him. Target feeding didn't help, as a hand in the tank would send him hiding long past when all the food had dissipated. The only way I could feed him was to heavily overfeed the tank, and even then, he never got more than a few bites per feed.

Tank parameters were always stable: pH 8.3, spec grab 1.026, KH 8, Ca 390, Nitrate 0. The other fish in my tank (ocellaris clown pair and a tail spot blenny) are fine and I've never had another fish death (except one who jumped).

Has anyone else had trouble feeding their Yasha?

I'm wanting to get another shrimp goby, but very hesitant to go with a Yasha again. Wondering if other shrimp gobies are bolder (maybe a yellow watchman?)

• 4 weeks later...

This got me a bit worried:

"Feed the Yasha White Ray Shrimp Goby a diet consisting of a variety of fresh or frozen mysis shrimp, vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, and table shrimp and it should be fed at least twice per day." - LiveAquaria.com

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=1145

Is this true?

If yes, how to implement this into keeping good water parameters in a nano tank (7 gallons)?

Archived