Top Shelf Aquatics

Weetie's Aquatic Ramblings & Lounge

Weetabix7

+1!!

Wow Weetie, now I really want one too!

And that clown is quite the handsome fellow as well.

Good luck with both of them.

Thank you!!!

And yes, he seems to be performing his job quite well!

I don't see any pods or flatworms, and he's constantly trying to nibble at the little temporary soapdish fuge I have cause he KNOWS that's the last remaining pod refuge!

I really do like him, he's awesome to watch, and I would definitely recommend the Yellow Coris Wrasse as a cool nano-reef fish.

Beautiful fish, Weetie!

LOL, my female gbg used to camp out under the soap dish fuge I used to have...They really know where the food is coming from!

--Diane

I'm seeing these stringy strands of some kind of brown film algae show up in various spots in the aquarium.

It's showing up on the LR in some places and actually draped across the edges of corals in some places.

You guys familiar with this, is it similar to cyano?

Never had it before.

I'm guessing it's from increased nutrients due to the fact that I am now feeding 2 fish in there where I never had any fish to feed before.

I can't have any hermits or shrimp due to the fact that the wrasse would probably eat them, so I'm thinking of getting a purple serpent star to help with cleaning up any food that gets past the fish.

I would appreciate hearing any input you guys have on this.

I'm seeing these stringy strands of some kind of brown film algae show up in various spots in the aquarium.

It's showing up on the LR in some places and actually draped across the edges of corals in some places.

You guys familiar with this, is it similar to cyano?

Never had it before.

I'm guessing it's from increased nutrients due to the fact that I am now feeding 2 fish in there where I never had any fish to feed before.

I can't have any hermits or shrimp due to the fact that the wrasse would probably eat them, so I'm thinking of getting a purple serpent star to help with cleaning up any food that gets past the fish.

I would appreciate hearing any input you guys have on this.

I had a bit of this about two weeks after adding a six line to my cube Weetie. Never really saw a spike in params or anything though. It only lasted a week or two and basically went away on its own with the help of water changes and turkey baster. I hope this is the case for you as well. fingerscrossed

I had a bit of this about two weeks after adding a six line to my cube Weetie. Never really saw a spike in params or anything though. It only lasted a week or two and basically went away on its own with the help of water changes and turkey baster. I hope this is the case for you as well. fingerscrossed

Well that's interesting, and it kinda maybe confirms something I was thinking about last night.

The pods that were in this aquarium constantly grazed on algae, and I also had flatworms in here that grazed on the algae as well. They weren't the bad red planaria flatworms, they were brown and never grew to plague proportions or really caused any problems. I always saw them on the glass where there was the strongest concentration of algae.

As I was thinking about it last night, I realized that because I've added the wrasse, who has eaten the pods and flatworms, I no longer have those critters in there munching on algae, so I'm probably seeing a growth of film algae because they're not there to eat it.

It's interesting to see the cause and effect from a scientific, biological standpoint, but it's annoying to be dealing with yet another issue from a practical standpoint.

I'll be doing manual removal and WC's and hopefully my experiences with this will mirror yours, R.

thoneday.jpg

I've been having some problems with this tank for the last 3 days or so.

Basically, the corals have just been looking really unhappy.

I've done a 1 1/2g WC and a 1g WC but it hasn't seemed to help.

I've still got the brown string algae all over the place too, even though I've cut the photo period down to about 3.5 hrs.

I did an ammonia test yesterday, and I THINK it said the ammonia is .5 in there. I'm not totally sure I read it right cause it's really hard to interpret the colors on this particular test kit. It's the API ammonia test kit, btw.

I'm thinking it's possible that the Berghia Nudi ran out of aiptasia earlier than expected and died and is polluting the tank.

I'm planning on doing a largeish WC as soon as I can.

Unfortunately I've been having a hard time getting ahold of the supplies to be able to mix the water. I'm expecting to have them for sure tomorrow though, so right now I'm kinda just hanging in there.

Are you sure the corals aren't just reacting to the short photoperiod?

--Diane

Yes, I'm QUITE sure, since they were acting this way before I reduced the photoperiod.

It turns out that my Berghia nudi is alive and well.

I had a heart attack just now when I saw him crawling around on the walls of the sump. If he had crawled down to the bottom he could very easily have become nudi soup as he got sucked into the return pump!

He would only have been crawling around like that if he ran out of food and was ranging far in search of more.

I got him out and have him floating in a bag in the sump.

Edited by Weetabix7

Here's a pic of my Berghia Nudi floating in his bag in the sump:

DSCN2280.jpg

Isn't he cool looking?!!

I moved him into my 5.5g quarantine tank, which is my only healthy tank at the moment. I made sure to put him in right next to 3 aiptasia. He must have been hungry, cause I swear he immediately POUNCED on one of them!!! It was the coolest thing to see, like something out of a nature documentary.

These pics aren't quite as clear, but here's pics of him munching his dinner:

RSCN2296.jpg

RSCN2295.jpg

These are all from my quarantine tank as well, but it would be too silly to start a quarantine tank thread so I'm posting them here.

DSCN2283.jpg

Tasha's babies!

RSCN2298.jpg

I wish this pic had come out clearer, this brittlestar has the coolest banding and coloration on him.

DSCN2282.jpg

Some zoas that I'm hoping to add to this 16g tank soon.

Some cool red macroalgaes that I'm hoping to move out of the quarantine tank and into a real tank soon:

DSCN2273-1.jpg

RSCN2299.jpg

DSCN2276-1.jpg

Here's a pic of my Berghia Nudi floating in his bag in the sump:

DSCN2280.jpg

Isn't he cool looking?!!

I moved him into my 5.5g quarantine tank, which is my only healthy tank at the moment. I made sure to put him in right next to 3 aiptasia. He must have been hungry, cause I swear he immediately POUNCED on one of them!!! It was the coolest thing to see, like something out of a nature documentary.

These pics aren't quite as clear, but here's pics of him munching his dinner:

RSCN2296.jpg

RSCN2295.jpg

Whew! You found him! That's awesome!!! Just go to Coral Reef & get some more Aptasia for him! :lol:

^^^^^ :lol:

Weetie, what cool pics! I love them all! Very nice Berghia sequence--glad it showed up.

That 5.5 looks pretty sweet.

--Diane

I have some good news for a change!

It looks like this tank may be rounding the corner.

It's looking better today.

It's not all the way back yet, but many of the corals are looking happier and almost back to their old selves, including my clove polyps that haven't opened for a week and a half or so.

I don't have the brown, stringy algae all over my corals anymore, the only place it's showing up is on the front and sides of the aquarium. Guess it's time to do some cleaning!

I'm gonna give it a couple more days and if it keeps improving I'm hoping to finish moving over all of the frags that I had planned on keeping in this tank.

Yay for me!!! :D

The nudi lives!!! :D Question: will they eat any size aiptasia? Even ginormous ones?

I hope your tanks get better. :flower:

Yeah, they will, it's pretty wild to see!!!

Why, you need one?

el fabuloso

I do. My two aiptasias have gotten huge and are starting to scare me. I also have a HUGE "curly-cue anemone" (that's what the LFS guy tried to pass it off) hitchhiker that won't stay in one place. I'm thinking about juicing them but to see a nudi eat them might be more fun to watch!