ReefCleaners.org

Weetie's Aquatic Ramblings & Lounge

Weetabix7

I'm hoping to be able to make it into town to pick up a wrasse for this tank tomorrow, hope I find a good one!

I'm not sure what to think about my clownfish.

He's pretty and he seems healthy, but he also seems quite stupid.

He can't seem to make up his mind whether to eat his food or be afraid of it and run away.

DoDo head. :rolleyes:

I've been feeding him Prime Reef flakes and frozen mysis. He seems to like the taste of it just fine when he's not running away from it.

I've found what I think are snail eggs on the side of the tank. I really wish I could post a pic of them, but I have no way to do that right now. There are these tiny white dots that I think are the eggs, and they're kinda covered in this translucent round "covering" that holds them up agains the side of the tank.

My first eggs,cool!

I think they might be eggs from the snails I got from tashayar, I don't know of anything else they could be.

I'm hoping to be able to make it into town to pick up a wrasse for this tank tomorrow, hope I find a good one!

I'm not sure what to think about my clownfish.

He's pretty and he seems healthy, but he also seems quite stupid.

He can't seem to make up his mind whether to eat his food or be afraid of it and run away.

DoDo head. :rolleyes:

I've been feeding him Prime Reef flakes and frozen mysis. He seems to like the taste of it just fine when he's not running away from it.

I've found what I think are snail eggs on the side of the tank. I really wish I could post a pic of them, but I have no way to do that right now. There are these tiny white dots that I think are the eggs, and they're kinda covered in this translucent round "covering" that holds them up agains the side of the tank.

My first eggs,cool!

I think they might be eggs from the snails I got from tashayar, I don't know of anything else they could be.

1. sounds good can't wait to see wht kind of wrasse you get. :D

2. your clown is just like my brother's! He's reeftarded, he constantly bumps into the glass for no reason.

3. no clue about your eggs, Diane might know. Sounds cool though.

Well I got me a Yellow Coris Wrasse!!

He looks SO cool in the aquarium. :happy:

They actually had a pretty good wrasse selection at the store, including some Flasher Wrasses, and I checked them all out and ended up going with my original choice.

I really liked some of the Flasher Wrasses, but the LFS dude said they weren't as good at eating pods as this guy.

He was in a little cubicle w/3 other clownfish the size of mine, so I'm hoping he won't bother my little ocellaris.

They said that he'd been there a while and he looked very vigorous and healthy.

He looks like a little banana colored torpedo and very actively swims around the entire aquarium. He seems very inquisitive, he's really cool to watch. He definitely adds something to the aquarium.

Now I just gotta hope he doesn't bully clownfish and he likes the taste of Devil Pods!

I'll try to post a pic when I'm able to, but it will probably be a couple of days.

The Propagator

Coris are known jumpers, feather duster eaters, and small crab and shrimp eaters.

Keep an eye on him, and if you don't see him at any given time be surer to immediately look around the floor near the tank LOL!

They are very very pretty. Ha done in my wifes 29g. Two of the actually. They both did the same thing.

Ate all the small hermits and shrimp they could then committed death by carpet. LOL!

Thanks for the input Prop, but I'm actually okay with all of that.

The tank already has a good cover on it, and the only feather-dusters in there came as hitchhikers on the LR. I don't have any shrimp and I only have 1 blue-leg hermit. I'm not really that fond of hermits actually, the only reason I put this one in there was to clean up after the food that my "blonde" clownfish sometimes runs away from instead of eating. It's actually not a problem for me to move the hermit to another tank or donate him to BibleSue or something.

I'm actually perfectly willing to put up with the downsides of having a Yellow Coris Wrasse as long as he'll gobble up my paly-eating amphipods, and from everything I've read and heard, he should be the best candidate for the job.

Now you wanna hear something funny?

I think my clownfish has paired up with him. I was fairly certain the clownfish was lonely, and no I'm not just anthropomorphosizing here. I'm perfectly aware that fish see and react to their world quite differently than humans.

But when I got him he had been in a tank with quite a few other ocellaris, and he just seemed really lost by himself in my tank. I think that's why he was so timid and would get spooked by food being put in the aquarium sometimes.

The two fish slept together in the same area the clownfish always sleeps in last night, and they spend most of their time in close proximity to each other. I've even seen the clownfish do what I'm pretty sure is "displaying" at the wrasse sometimes. The wrasse doesn't seem to mind at all and shows absolutely no aggression toward the clownfish. It probably helped that wrasse was in a tank with three other clownfish when I bought him, so he was accustomed to having them around.

They both look really nice swimming all around the tank, and everyone is happy!

Except the pods I hope, may they meet a swift end in the tummy of the wrasse!!!

One of my oldest NR friends, knoxvegas stopped by tonight and after much concentrated effort (that bugger is FAST!) he managed to get a couple of decent pics of the new wrasse on BibleSue's camera that she left behind.

However, the cord to download the pics to the computer is still at BibleSue's house so I won't be able to post pics til she gets the camera back and downloads them for me.

I'm glad you're liking the new fish. Your clownfish isn't trying to be friends so much as he's trying to keep an eye on the new guy to make sure he's behaving himself. It does look like they enjoy each other, when in fact it's the opposite. At least the clown is acting normal.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, you guys are FAST!

Here's my clown, while I'm at it:

DSCF3932.jpg

DSCF3930.jpg

He's so cute, my lfs has a pair of nakeds, picassos, and black & whites. They were all calling my name.:D

Edited by Nick's Reef

She got this clown for $10 at the Frag Swap! She shared her jacket with it all the way home since it was a cold night! I'm sorry I didn't get one for my grandkids tank I will be setting up!

GASP! Killer pods! I had a few of them in my tank at one point and they decimated my nice zoa colony. :angry:

This is what they looked like:

CIMG3696.jpg

Now there's probably only about two or three polyps left on that branching coral rock. I had pods the size of cockroaches constantly hanging around them. But they tell you, "pods are good," and "pods are your friends!" so I never suspected them to be the culprit. Instead I was endlessly chasing this elusive mystery crab that I still haven't caught.

BTW I love the custom tank! How do I find this acrylicman you speak of?

The wrasse is beautiful. Does it seem like he's doing his job??

+1!!

Wow Weetie, now I really want one too!

And that clown is quite the handsome fellow as well.

Good luck with both of them.

Edited by Needreefunds