ReefCleaners.org

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

Glad to see things are going good Aaron. I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary with my clam in my picotope ! :ninja: Maybe I will start a thread some day ? :unsure::D Did you ever use those ato clips I sent you ? Or are you still rockin the salt creep holder ? :lol:

Wow! One year with a clam? That's amazing. Yes, you need a thread. ;)

As for the clips, I'm having a little trouble working one in my pico. Maybe my waterline is too high but for some reason water seems to travel up the plastic clip as it slowly drips in the back. I could lower the water level in the tank but that would expose the acros out of the water. So I'm still rockin' the salt creep. :(

Worked like a charm on the RSM though. :happy:

Congratulations Fab! I have really enjoyed watching your Pico develope into such a wonderful masterpiece. Keep up the good work, and thanks for all the help!

Thanks! :)

What's your water change schedule like each week?

Ideally I change out 2 liters a week. Been busy though and haven't done one in two weeks. :ninja:

Ideally I change out 2 liters a week. Been busy though and haven't done one in two weeks. :ninja:

I was wondering the same, I currently change half a gallon per week, do you typically do your 2 liters at once per week, or split it to twice a week?

Did you see the ATO holder I made for mine? Barely a quarter inch of it is actually on the inside of the glass, its well above the waterline which is 5/8" below the rim of the tank. No water seems to use it as an escape route, and no salt-creep on it so far. Its also pretty unobtrusive, will be more so once I get around to painting the white that sticks up above the back of the tank.

On a side note, hows the growth been on the orange Fungia plate? I have major interest in getting one (for my 12 at first), although the only place I've seen them locally is at Petco. One was a pretty cream color with a purple rim that I really liked.

Edited by gregzbobo

Hey Fab, did you have any difficulty acclimating your corals to the LED's at first?

Even though I have my light on a low setting intensity wise, my corals won't open up as big now that I have the LED's over them.

Granted, I have mostly Softies and a few LPS, but still....

Just trying to figure out the best approach.

I was wondering the same, I currently change half a gallon per week, do you typically do your 2 liters at once per week, or split it to twice a week?

Once per week. The only time I did two water changes a week was when I stocked my tank with SPS corals over night and they soaked up calcium like a sponge. But since I started dosing I've gone back to doing just one water change a week. If I remember. :lol:

Did you see the ATO holder I made for mine? Barely a quarter inch of it is actually on the inside of the glass, its well above the waterline which is 5/8" below the rim of the tank. No water seems to use it as an escape route, and no salt-creep on it so far. Its also pretty unobtrusive, will be more so once I get around to painting the white that sticks up above the back of the tank.

Yeah I saw that but my water line is really up to the brim! Even more towards the back which totally goes against what I tell people about leaving enough room for the fuge to flush back into the tank. But with the acros trying to grow out of the water I have no choice but to keep the water line up and I just pray that the power doesn't shut off because if it ever does, I'm screwed. :(

On a side note, hows the growth been on the orange Fungia plate? I have major interest in getting one (for my 12 at first), although the only place I've seen them locally is at Petco. One was a pretty cream color with a purple rim that I really liked.

I can't really say that I've noticed a whole lot of growth with my Fungia even though it eats like a pig but that's probably a good thing since I wouldn't know where to put it if it ever got too big. All in all it's one of the happiest corals in my tank, gets along with everything and doesn't really move much except to push back some of the encroaching zoas every now and then or to dust itself off when sand gets on top of it. :happy:

Hey Fab, did you have any difficulty acclimating your corals to the LED's at first?

Even though I have my light on a low setting intensity wise, my corals won't open up as big now that I have the LED's over them.

Granted, I have mostly Softies and a few LPS, but still....

Just trying to figure out the best approach.

Hi Weets! Can't say that my corals had any difficulty acclimating to LED's except for the Blastos but I kinda expected that. I started with a low setting for a day or two but blasted it to full speed after a couple of days and didn't notice any adverse reactions from any of the corals, even the GSP colony that I had at the time sitting at the very top of the tank. The Blastos were a different story. They kinda cowered in the shade for a couple of weeks before slowly warming up to the LED's.

HeyLookItsCaps

i was just about to ask what weetie did. also, im attempting to rockscape my pico for some shady areas for blastos/acans. whats your opinion on the central "cave" pico rockscape. any suggestions or things youd wish you did with your scape before it was all grown in?

Still no pics? :(

:ninja:

i was just about to ask what weetie did. also, im attempting to rockscape my pico for some shady areas for blastos/acans. whats your opinion on the central "cave" pico rockscape. any suggestions or things youd wish you did with your scape before it was all grown in?

I'm really happy with my rockscape and I wouldn't change a thing. Except I just wish my SPS corals didn't grow too fast! lol I like the central cave idea since it adds an element of depth to the tank and I have always incorporated some variation of it throughout my tank's evolution. If you do one, make sure it has plenty of outlet on the other side for water to flow through so it doesn't end up as a cul-de-sac for debris to accumulate. If you plan to put blastos or acans in there, make sure it's easily accessible so you can feed them easily.

Just thought you would like to know, I'm downsizing after Christmas.

Headed back into a dorm next fall, and moving a 20 gallon tank 4x a year does not sound fun. I think I can handle moving three gallons 4 hours from time to time.

On my list:

LEDs

ATO

AC70 w/ fuge light from StevieT

some manner of tiny heater

small powerhead

I was also considering making a sticker of your avatar to put on the fuge because that would be classy.

Just thought you would like to know, I'm downsizing after Christmas.

Headed back into a dorm next fall, and moving a 20 gallon tank 4x a year does not sound fun. I think I can handle moving three gallons 4 hours from time to time.

Sweet! Sounds like a plan. :happy:

I was also considering making a sticker of your avatar to put on the fuge because that would be classy.

:blush:

check out my 3 gal! i finally finished

Awesome! Can't wait to check it out. :)

Jeremiahmeister

SIMPLE AMAZING!

I read the complete post El Fab, and i did because i start a search for a 3g picotope and for mi good luck i find your thread, i read your guide too, i have located the tank and the aquaclear ac70, the big trouble for me is gonna be the lighting... the 18w current usa is no more avalible and the led kit from evil is stoped too, what can i do? Sorry for my English friends! I learn only with the American mobies.

Saludos desde la Ciudad De Mexico!

I'm not a huge fan of picos but this one i really like! Can we see more pics of ur Sexy Shrimp?

Thanks! As for the sexy shrimps, I think I may be down to just one now. And now that I'm down to one, she doesn't come out much and I see very little of her. Maybe there is some truth to the idea of them living in groups after all. :(

SIMPLE AMAZING!

I read the complete post El Fab, and i did because i start a search for a 3g picotope and for mi good luck i find your thread, i read your guide too, i have located the tank and the aquaclear ac70, the big trouble for me is gonna be the lighting... the 18w current usa is no more avalible and the led kit from evil is stoped too, what can i do? Sorry for my English friends! I learn only with the American mobies.

Saludos desde la Ciudad De Mexico!

Saludos! Le he entendido bien. :welcome:

Es una tragedia que el Current Dual Satellite ha sido descontinuado y no sé cuáles son sus opciones en su país. Sin embargo estoy bastante seguro de que puede comprar de marinedepot.com de México. Si me comprase una luz de PC para un "pico" de hoy, yo lo más probable es comprar el Coralife Aqualight. El PAR38 por Evilc66 también es una opción decente pero tendrá que encontrar una manera de montarlo. Ojalá que esto ayude. :)

i really like it but it definately is getting really full haha

You have no idea. I'm afraid to take pictures of it right now. :ninja:

Saludos! Le he entendido bien. :welcome:

Es una tragedia que el Current Dual Satellite ha sido descontinuado y no sé cuáles son sus opciones en su país. Sin embargo estoy bastante seguro de que puede comprar de marinedepot.com de México. Si me comprase una luz de PC para un "pico" de hoy, yo lo más probable es comprar el Coralife Aqualight. El PAR38 por Evilc66 también es una opción decente pero tendrá que encontrar una manera de montarlo. Ojalá que esto ayude. :)

You have no idea. I'm afraid to take pictures of it right now. :ninja:

i wanna try to translate this :D

im super white so dont hate on my spanish ;P

its a tragedy that the current dual satellite ( the light ) was discontinued and i dont know what your options are in your country.

something something there is something something that you make be able to buy from marinedepot.com of mexico. Yes i bought a PC light for my pico. something about the link.

the par38 that evilc66 made is also a decent option. hopefully that helped. :)

BAM?!

wow that doesnt make 100% sense, i suck at espanol.

alright i give up. =[

edit: im trying to finish what i started ;p

Edited by Jake42393

its a tragedy that the current dual satellite ( the light ) was discontinued and i dont know what your options are in your country.

something something there is something something that you make be able to buy from marinedepot.com of mexico. Yes i bought a PC light for my pico. something about the link.

the par38 that evilc66 made is also a decent option. hopefully that helped. :)

BAM?!

wow that doesnt make 100% sense, i suck at espanol.

alright i give up. =[

edit: im trying to finish what i started ;p

Just a side note, the Coralife light runs kinda hot and the bulbs for it aren't the best around, but Evilc66 has a thread on this site with info on how to convert it to use cooler running and higher quality Current USA "Japanese-style" square pin bulbs.

The mounting legs are not very user-friendly either.

Hows that monti doin El Fab? If you keep me in mind if you ever frag (or accidentally frag) it, I would not be mad. :happy:

Edited by gregzbobo

Not bad. ;)

Translation: It's a tragedy that the Current Dual Satellite has been discontinued and I don't know what your options are in your country. However, I'm pretty sure that you can order from marinedepot.com from Mexico. If were buying a PC light for a pico today, I will most likely get the Coralife Aqualight. Evilc66's PAR38 is also a decent option but you'll need to find a way to mount it. Hope this helps.

Just a side note, the Coralife light runs kinda hot and the bulbs for it aren't the best around, but Evilc66 has a thread on this site with info on how to convert it to use cooler running and higher quality Current USA "Japanese-style" square pin bulbs.

^^ Good to know.

Hows that monti doin El Fab? If you keep me in mind if you ever frag (or accidentally frag) it, I would not be mad. :happy:

The monti is starting to grow out of the water. I really should do something about it like maybe move it over to the RSM but I worry that it might not thrive in there. :unsure:

Querido el fab,

Voy a hablar en español porque nececito practicar para mi viaje a Belize. Lo es terrible.

Más fotos por favor.

-Jamie (no sé come se dice "sincerely")

Jamie, su español es bueno aunque no creo que lo necesitará en Belice, ya que la mayoria de la gente hablan inglés. Hay varias maneras para cerrar una carta:

Le saluda atentamente (o simplemente "atentamente")

Se puede decir "cordialmente" si quieres algo menos formal. Para la familia y amigos, "un abrazo" o "besos" será suficiente.

¡Más fotos muy pronto! :)