Coral Vue Hydros

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

Okay but I have to warn you, it's not pretty!

Here's the current FTS:

CIMG1609.jpg

CIMG1610.jpg

The yellow acro now gets to be king of the hill.

CIMG1611.jpg

The birdsnest in the back wall, still fighting a never ending battle with algae.

CIMG1612.jpg

A piece of my mille that I broke off before moving the colony over to the MAX:

CIMG1614.jpg

Some remaining mushrooms that I need to go in and scrape off:

CIMG1615.jpg

As much as I want to get rid of ALL softies from this tank, I might keep the softies on my live rock on the right side of the tank. It would seem almost too unnatural without them.

CIMG1613.jpg

Except for the plate coral. He's moving over to the MAX as well.

Doesn't look all that bad. Nice open "new canvas" to work with. Probably won't get all the softies gone, mushies, unless you take some of the underlying rock with it. What is the orange plate looking thing on the bottom left? A frag of the monti plate?????

Set it up with all the rock in the middle as an island. Then maybe a patch reef SPS island motif? Maybe a nice small piece of Porites sp. at the bottom of the island with some Christmas tree worms on it?

Hm, that's an interesting idea. I was thinking of maybe doing a valley motif. Keep the birdsnest on the back wall dead center, the remaining softies on the right, some acros on the left, various monti and porites around the sand and a clam right down the middle.

:blush:

Agreed. Your "worst stuff" is what I can only hope to achieve. I am very new to this hobby and seeing your pico reefs has me wildy excited about what can be done. I will do a search but I would like a "bill of materials" on your corals.

kevivoe

Well done El Fab!!

( now get to work on the Max walls ) :lol:

Great stuff. B)

Thanks, Richie!

BTW, http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=223049

:ninja:

Agreed. Your "worst stuff" is what I can only hope to achieve. I am very new to this hobby and seeing your pico reefs has me wildy excited about what can be done. I will do a search but I would like a "bill of materials" on your corals.

Thanks! It's really not all that difficult. Just takes some time and a whole lot of patience. ;)

Just a quick question what type of light are you using and where did you get it?

My fixture is a LED retrofit made by evilc66. Click on Sword's link for more info.

Awesome, your name kept popping up when I was researching clams in picos and I thought you might be thinking about getting one. I'm stoked to see how you do it :)

how does your damsel like the tight space? ultimately i want my tank to be similar to yours (sorry im biting your $h!t) i have a 3 stripe in mine and am wondering if it can outgrow the tank or get choked by the corals growing out

in the religion of pico reefs you are almighty all hail el fab

how does your damsel like the tight space? ultimately i want my tank to be similar to yours (sorry im biting your $h!t) i have a 3 stripe in mine and am wondering if it can outgrow the tank or get choked by the corals growing out

My yellowtail damsel actually loved my dense coral jungle. He liked hiding between the birdsnest branches and he would sleep inside the monti cap at night. Now that the pico has opened up again with plenty of space, he's actually a little freaked out. I'm really not sure how well other damsel do in a pico but IME yellowtails are better behaved than most damsels and stay fairly small.

in the religion of pico reefs you are almighty all hail el fab

:blush: