inTank Media Baskets

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

So I left the house for a little bit last night and came home to find the AC70 not working! Not sure how long it was out but the everything in the fuge was still damp so I scooped out all the frags and dumped them into the MAX. The frags all look bleached this morning so I have a feeling that they might not have made it. :(

Gotta figure out what's wrong with AC70. This should be fun.

I seriously think JBJ owes you some royalties, considering how many people have said that you were their inspiration for buying a picotope :)

I bet they would have, but someone can't stand stickers on his tank (not that I blame ya)!! :P

congrats on your 2 yr mark, it's so mazing how you first started compared to the how ya tank is today. So much beauty and what an eye candy for new reefers

Curly Joe Reefer

agreed, i look through all of my pictures every couple of months. I'm always amazed at how far I have come (started in a 6 with fake corals). Then I look at your thread and see how far I still have left to go. LOL. That sucks about the AC70, please let us know what the deal was so we can possible prevent a failure in the future.

Was the impeller all gunked up? That's the only bad thing about using a filter as a fuge...you don't want to disturb the fuge to clean the components..but it is necessary after awhile. They get pretty nasty in there.

Was the impeller all gunked up? That's the only bad thing about using a filter as a fuge...you don't want to disturb the fuge to clean the components..but it is necessary after awhile. They get pretty nasty in there.

That was exactly the problem. It's been over a year since I've really given the fuge a good cleaning and that was mainly because everything had matured nicely in there including all the cryptic fauna that had been thriving. So I emptied out the fuge which also gave me a good opportunity to inspect things in there and take some good photos.

Everything out of the fuge and into a bucket:

CIMG1243.jpg

The fuge completely empty with all the stuff that's been growing in it:

CIMG1240.jpg

CIMG1242.jpg

Here's a good shot of my mangrove and its root system teeming with various forms of algae and microfauna:

CIMG1244.jpg

CIMG1245.jpg

Since I had the fuge completely dismantled I figured I would give the area around the tank a good cleaning as well. It was kinda strange to not have anything around the tank and just see it in its simplest form.

CIMG1246.jpg

CIMG1250.jpg

A full top-down shot:

CIMG1253.jpg

The worst part of course was having to put the fuge back together again especially because it disrupts the corals inside. As you all know by now, i have a hard enough time trying to keep all the SPS in place so it took another good two hours to try and get everything back together. On the other hand, I got a good pic of my monti cap out of the water to show just how big this thing has gotten!

CIMG1255.jpg

Can you see why I don't want to frag this thing?

The fuge definitely needed a good cleaning unfortunately I waited until there was something wrong and I think the frags in the fuge may have been out of the water too long. :( I moved them over to the RSM as fast as I could but the SPS were all bleached the next day. It would be devastating if I lose them because I had frags from corals I no longer have like my galaxy and a few zoas. I threw them back in the fuge anyway and I'm hoping for a miracle.

• Like 1
CIMG1255.jpg

Can you see why I don't want to frag this thing?

The fuge definitely needed a good cleaning unfortunately I waited until there was something wrong and I think the frags in the fuge may have been out of the water too long. :( I moved them over to the RSM as fast as I could but the SPS were all bleached the next day. It would be devastating if I lose them because I had frags from corals I no longer have like my galaxy and a few zoas. I threw them back in the fuge anyway and I'm hoping for a miracle.

Sorry to hear about your frags El Fab. :( that really sucks.

anyways those are some awesome pix of the stuff in your fuge! :D

lastly...NO I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY YOU DONT FRAG IT. :P

seriously tho.

Sorry to hear about your frags El Fab. :( that really sucks.

anyways those are some awesome pix of the stuff in your fuge! :D

lastly...NO I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY YOU DONT FRAG IT. :P

seriously tho.

Wow, that monti is HUGE.

Thanks guys! Turns out my frags may not be a complete goner after all. A lot of the monti and birdsnest frags did bleach out but there are some parts that are still good and I can still salvage. The one I was really worried about was my Galaxea frag. While maybe three or four heads didn't make it, two seem to be doing just fine which is just as well considering they grew from a single corallite that broke off from the old colony I used to have. :)

^^^ AHAHA :haha:

that monti cap is like his baby dude. he wouldnt sell it for a mirrion dolloars. :P

Not even for a mirrion dolloars????? Damn............ I don't even know how much that is......lol!!!!!

Not even for a mirrion dolloars????? Damn............ I don't even know how much that is......lol!!!!!

1 million...except when you have a heavy asian accent, then its mirrion. :P

No. WTF LOL>

he's Latino.... ;)

i just wanted to throw that in there. :haha:

This thread should go in the lounge now...were fffing it all up. Sorry fab, not my fault...they made me do it. :P

this practically is a lounge. ;)

PS some of the loungies in the real lounge are coo co... ;)

i dont venture there anymore.

Lol.....most fun I've had on a Friday night in a while. (pathetic, isn't it)...

Edited by 24nanoguy
Lol.....most fun I've had on a Friday night in a while. (pathetic, isn't it)...

:mellow:

go to your LFS! i had fun over there... then again my version of "fun" isnt what the usual 15 yr olds is. ;)

fun=chatting on forums,watching my tank, listening to; U2, Coldplay, Classical, Christmas music, going to the LFS, playing vid games

(mind you most of the people i know were at the football game. ;) )

• Like 1