Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Weetie's 10g Prop Tank

Weetabix7

Commune! :huh: That was before my time :P

I think Diane's right - this thread would be half of NR before long :) Ah, soon enough I'll get a tank thread going...I got my pump and a skimmer today (yep, thats right...me running a skimmer... :scarry:), so it won't be long now!!

Not sure on the bamboo - I know that "treated" bamboo is just soaked in water to release starch as a way of preventing insect attacks. I would assume that's already been done in your case. Hadn't heard of the cyanide thing before, but bamboo skewers would be made of cultured and harvested bamboo, not wild bamboo.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Commune! :huh: That was before my time :P

I think Diane's right - this thread would be half of NR before long :) Ah, soon enough I'll get a tank thread going...I got my pump and a skimmer today (yep, thats right...me running a skimmer... :scarry:), so it won't be long now!!

Well, I suppose we would have to have some criteria for prospective members...

Ohmigosh, wait, wait, I just figured it out! omgomgomg

In order to join Weetie's commune you have to send a frag to be propagated in this prop tank and you have to cover shipping costs yourself.

In return, you get to have a free frag of any one item in the tank, you get to see your contribution featured here, you get to post here, and you get a drastic discount on any frags sold from this tank.

Whatcha think, whatcha think???

We could be the first NR communal tank, how cool is that???

If this is so then why was this exact area initially growing so much that it was starting to encrust on the eggcrate that it was resting on?

i had a montipora digita in my frag tank... the underside wasnt getting light but encrusting,eventually the underside bleached just like yours

i had a montipora digita in my frag tank... the underside wasnt getting light but encrusting,eventually the underside bleached just like yours

Hmm, interesting.

But lets be realistic here, how is it possible for the underside of ANY coral to get light unless we shine a light up through the bottom or through the side?

Hmm, interesting.

But lets be realistic here, how is it possible for the underside of ANY coral to get light unless we shine a light up through the bottom or through the side?

Is it bleaching or dying? If it's bleaching, it's normal. No light makes it bleach out. But the polyps are still alive and even healthy because they're obtaining food from another source (capturing it from the water column). No reason they couldn't continue to grow and encrust while bleached. Just like with anemones - as long as you feed it, it's healthy, even when bleached - light isn't the main objective in keeping anemones, food is (I hope no n00bs read this, or we're all in trouble :mellow: ).

On the other hand, if it's dying on the underside, you've got a cause for concern.

idk thats puzzling...something in your tank must be causing this..but wouldnt your other corals be affected :huh:

oh btw you rock!!i love the zoas you sent me!! with my taxes in february expect some $$ from me for another frag pack..

Communes--now that was MY era...far out. :D--Diane

It's funny, but when you said that I thought of a book called "Spiritual Midwifery" that I read to prepare for the birth of my first son. It's written by a woman named Ina May Gaskin who was involved in the startup of a commune in Mid TN in the 60's, I believe. Of course, they were doing everything naturally so when the women of the commune started having babies they did that "naturally" too. She learned everything as she went along, but she was so good at it that she ended up becoming one of the most well-known midwives not only in the USA but across the world. It's a great book, but all the hippie terminology was a trip!

Is it bleaching or dying? If it's bleaching, it's normal. No light makes it bleach out. But the polyps are still alive and even healthy because they're obtaining food from another source (capturing it from the water column). No reason they couldn't continue to grow and encrust while bleached. Just like with anemones - as long as you feed it, it's healthy, even when bleached - light isn't the main objective in keeping anemones, food is (I hope no n00bs read this, or we're all in trouble :mellow: ).On the other hand, if it's dying on the underside, you've got a cause for concern.

I think it was dying.

See this link for more info:http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=139044&hl=

Reefur, thanks so much!

So the zoas are doing good for you, I take it?

Because I will be scaling back so much on propping, I may not have much in Feb., but I'll probably have a few things. I'm keeping some Candy Apple Pinks for grow out.

how about a fts shot weetie?yes they're doing excellent as far as the oxypora its a goner only saved a few pieces..so you want the zoas you like for the cap?

how about a fts shot weetie?yes they're doing excellent as far as the oxypora its a goner only saved a few pieces..so you want the zoas you like for the cap?

On this tank, FTS aren't that impressive since it's just a bunch of frags sitting on eggcrate, no real aquascape or anything, y'know?

To get the real effect you have to see the close-up shots which I've already posted lots of. I'll see if I can do more later though.

Zoas for cap are fine, but it'll probably take me a while to save up the money for shipping costs.

I dont understand the "I just don't have enough $$ to maintain it". Were you guys buying corals specifically to prop? I guess my plan is more along the lines of fragging the corals I have and buy for my tanks. Then just selling them as I can. I already had a NC12 to use as a grow out tank though. So my only cost is salt for water changes.

There are really several different factors involved in this, but let me see if I can keep it simple.

Yes, I had been buying corals to prop, it's really the only way to get new stock in other than trades. But it costs $$ to get new stock, even if it's only occasional purchases, and the shipping costs for trades add up.

When I realized that I wouldn't be able to keep up with it financially, I decided to convert my little 5.5 quarantine into a zoa/monti display and just continue to use this 10g prop tank for grow out.

But to do that I needed to get a 70w MH fixture for the 5.5.

I had it all lined up to get Vertigo's 70w DIY MH fixture for this purpose, but as you know, that didn't work out.

Now I am at the point where I have to come up with a plan using only what I already have on hand, which is why I will be converting this 10g prop to the monti/zoa garden I described, with just a couple of small unobtrusive (I hope!) frag racks high on the sides.

U are welcome! I can resize it for you if it's an issue... Might have to take out the reef cereal part, but I thought that was funny lol. Let me know if u want it smaller k. :happydance:

U are welcome! I can resize it for you if it's an issue... Might have to take out the reef cereal part, but I thought that was funny lol. Let me know if u want it smaller k. :happydance:

I love it exactly the way it is, wouldn't change a thing!

Thanks for stopping by. :happy:

Ashley's parents and I will be attending a meeting tomorrow with the Police Chief, the Mayor, and the City Manager at 10:30 a.m. The purpose of this meeting will be to address the safety concerns that led to Ashley's death before the open forum City Council meeting this Friday.

Hopefully we will be met with a willingness to work on these issues so that another schoolchild like Ashley is not injured or killed.

Here's a link to a newspaper article from today that deals with the rally that we held last Friday in order to get the public involved in this process:

http://www.oakridger.com/stories/121007/new_224214197.shtml

I wish you all luck, L. The children deserve to have a voice!

:flower:

Ashley's parents and I will be attending a meeting tomorrow with the Police Chief, the Mayor, and the City Manager at 10:30 a.m. The purpose of this meeting will be to address the safety concerns that led to Ashley's death before the open forum City Council meeting this Friday.

Hopefully we will be met with a willingness to work on these issues so that another schoolchild like Ashley is not injured or killed.

Here's a link to a newspaper article from today that deals with the rally that we held last Friday in order to get the public involved in this process:

http://www.oakridger.com/stories/121007/new_224214197.shtml

Well, there are some great suggestions in that article and also the news that the school board has drastically reduced the "must walk" perimeter. Why on earth did it have to take a death to accomplish this? I am amazed that there were not so much as crossing guards at such a terrible intersection.

Please give us a report on your meeting.

--Diane

It's really distressing to know how many things have had to end in deaths before being addressed. Really appalling and....a little disenchanting. I commend you for being able to go through with all this despite the grief it causes. I know Ashley would be so proud.

I guess lots of rich, city folks are starting to hire midwives for home-births. Very interesting to see the practice returning. With the cost of health care and the ability of technology to detect complications early on, I imagine this will be an emerging trend. :)

I guess lots of rich, city folks are starting to hire midwives for home-births. Very interesting to see the practice returning. With the cost of health care and the ability of technology to detect complications early on, I imagine this will be an emerging trend. :)

Not an emerging trend or just for the wealthy. I had my last 3 at home & they are ages 26, 24, 22. Those births were much better than my 2 hospital births. My daughter has had all 4 of hers at home & they are far from rich!

It is an old, old tradition. Even Jesus was a home birth but without a midwife! :D

Well, there are some great suggestions in that article and also the news that the school board has drastically reduced the "must walk" perimeter. Why on earth did it have to take a death to accomplish this? I am amazed that there were not so much as crossing guards at such a terrible intersection.

Please give us a report on your meeting.

--Diane

The "must walk" perimeter was reduced for the elementary schools only. The middle schools and high school still have the same 1 mile walk zone in effect, which says that students of those schools who live within 1 mile of the school will not be allowed to ride the bus to school and must get there some other way.

This means that there are still students at Ashley's school who have to navigate the intersection where she met her fatal accident, and there still is no crossing guard there.

I think that the meeting today went fairly well. The Mayor and City Manager were both extremely helpful in their words and attitude. The Mayor will be giving us a chance to speak first at the upcoming City Council Meeting on 12/17, before any other issues are addressed. He also gave us a business card that has his home phone # on it and invited us to come by and speak with him at any time.

The real proof of how sincere they are will come in what kind of follow-up action they take.

The Police Chief seemed obstructive and negative in his attitude in the meeting. He was full of reasons why they "couldn't" do this and couldn't do that. This is unfortunate since most of the short term immediate things that the city can do involve action by the Police Dept., such as using Police Officers for crossing guards in the short term.

The "must walk" perimeter was reduced for the elementary schools only. The middle schools and high school still have the same 1 mile walk zone in effect, which says that students of those schools who live within 1 mile of the school will not be allowed to ride the bus to school and must get there some other way.

This means that there are still students at Ashley's school who have to navigate the intersection where she met her fatal accident, and there still is no crossing guard there.

I think that the meeting today went fairly well. The Mayor and City Manager were both extremely helpful in their words and attitude. The Mayor will be giving us a chance to speak first at the upcoming City Council Meeting on 12/17, before any other issues are addressed. He also gave us a business card that has his home phone # on it and invited us to come by and speak with him at any time.

The real proof of how sincere they are will come in what kind of follow-up action they take.

The Police Chief seemed obstructive and negative in his attitude in the meeting. He was full of reasons why they "couldn't" do this and couldn't do that. This is unfortunate since most of the short term immediate things that the city can do involve action by the Police Dept., such as using Police Officers for crossing guards in the short term.

It is better to have the Mayor on your side than the police since they work for the Mayor. We will be praying for the City Council Meeting. Let me know if I need to come.

It is better to have the Mayor on your side than the police since they work for the Mayor. We will be praying for the City Council Meeting. Let me know if I need to come.

Donnie (Ashley's father) spoke privately with the Mayor after the meeting and he agreed with Donnie that he wasn't very impressed with the Police Chief.

Then the school board was not exactly telling the whole story!! As if middle school students are mature enough to be as cautious as they need to be.

So far, so good...I agree with what Sue said vis a vis the mayor vs. the police chief.

Thanks for the update.

--Diane

Psychological studies have shown that even teenagers cannot fully understand cause-and-effect and consequences. The judgment is off.

Archived