Pod Your Reef

Weetie's 10g Prop Tank

Weetabix7

I guess I missed the original thread. I am so sorry, I guess a crossing guard at the major inersections like that is too much for the budget also.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I missed the original thread. I am so sorry, I guess a crossing guard at the major inersections like that is too much for the budget also.

No one will work that intersection. It is too dangerous.

No one will work that intersection. It is too dangerous.

They hired a crossing guard, a woman who had worked as a crossing guard for something like 14 yrs.

She quit after one day, saying that it was too dangerous.

If they couldn't get an experienced crossing guard to take PAY to deal with that intersection,

HOW COULD THEY EXPECT CHILDREN TO DO IT??????

My prayer are definitely with you weetie. Its so heartbreaking because it could have been avoided. This "belt tightening" policy has been taking effect all over the country and there are countless youths who have been and continue to be put in harms way.All in a meaningless attempt to "save money". This policy was in effect in my local township when i was school and i knew kids who were severely injured in traffic related incidents and yet this policy continues to stay in place. In any case i praise you for your efforts and will continue to pray for your family.

I am currently compiling some research for Laurie & Donnie (Ashley's parents) to take to a meeting they will be having with the Mayor, the Police Chief, and the City Manager on Dec. 11.

I think that's exactly the place to take it. I would expect the local government to try to turf it back to the school board, but, at least here in MI, school budgets ARE very strapped ATM. Transportation is a huge cost, which burdens some districts much more than others, just by the layout of the district...The one mile rule exists here as well. It is the responsibility of the various public safety institutions and the municipal governments to ensure the safety of their citizens and school children should not be exempt. If anything, our most vulnerable--the young, esp.--should be our highest priority.

That particular intersection sounds ghastly!

--Diane

That particular intersection sounds ghastly!

--Diane

It is.

One of our plans of action is to stand at the intersection during hours when students have to cross and videotape the kind of traffic they have to deal with.

People regularly run red lights there.

On a totally different topic, I'd like to thank Ben314z for his contribution to my sig.

I'd also like to ask if the size of the sig is driving anyone nuts out there?!?!

Thing is, I just COULDN'T bring myself not to use either part of it!

I'm sooo sorry to hear about that Weetie. It's a shame that a few dollars are more important these days than the welfare of our youth and children. My best advice would be to contact some Attorneys. I'm sure you can find some that would take the case without any financial consideration. Something HAS to be done about this. How many children would you say this applies to in your area?? Maybe some local churches or other organizations could use their vans or buses to shuttle those children to school. If they are all within a mile of the school it couldn't be that difficult. My prayers are with you and your family.

I'm sooo sorry to hear about that Weetie. It's a shame that a few dollars are more important these days than the welfare of our youth and children. My best advice would be to contact some Attorneys. I'm sure you can find some that would take the case without any financial consideration. Something HAS to be done about this. How many children would you say this applies to in your area?? Maybe some local churches or other organizations could use their vans or buses to shuttle those children to school. If they are all within a mile of the school it couldn't be that difficult. My prayers are with you and your family.

Thanks nUgZ, and I appreciate the ideas.

Anyone else that has ideas, throw 'em on out there.

We'll take help wherever we can get it.

To answer one of your questions, we're still doing research into how many children are affected by this.

Lisa,

I just read through this entire thread and I would like to say thank you for providing me with an amusing 20-30 mins or so while I am at work (student worker means no work here so I read nano all day long, gets kind of boring after awhile). I also want to say I think its awesome that you are a stay at home mom, I hope one day (not any time soon ;)) when Daniel and I have kids I will also get to stay at home with them. :)

Amber

There are certain people that are allowed to hijack my threads at will due to their sheer wonderfulness, and dshnarw and c est ma definitely fall in that category! Dshnarw, I haven't gotten your frag of the above mentioned green wonderfulness made yet, but I intend to do it very soon. The whole situation with Ashley's death happened soon after you asked for it, and everything has kinda been derailed as a result. And speaking of Ashley, I wanted to say a bit about that. For those who don't know, my 12 yr. old niece was hit by a bus as she was riding her bicycle home from school on Nov. 9. She lost all brain function the next day and was pronounced legally dead in the hospital on Nov. 11. A thread detailing all of these events can be found here:http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0Ashley was not allowed to ride the bus home because she was within 1 mile of the school. Just this year, our school system started a "belt-tightening" policy that did not allow children who lived with a mile of the school to ride the bus. As a result, Ashley had to cross the busiest intersection in town, a six-lane interstate highway that crossed a 4 lane state highway running through town. It was at this exact intersection that she was hit by the bus. Earlier in the year, another student at her school who was subject to the same policy was hit by a car while riding his bicycle home. Luckily, he was okay, but when this happened Ashley's mom raised heck with the school board saying that she was very concerned for the safety of her children. They told her they were worried too, but took no action. Ashley usually did have other ways of getting home on most days, but on this day she had to ride her bike and it turns out that her mom (my sister) obviously did have very good cause to be worried. I am currently working with Ashley's parents and some friends to try to get the school board and the city to do something to make it safer for the children to get home. We are meeting with resistance. The school board says, "We can't do anything about that, it has to come from the city," and of course the city says, "only the school board can take action on that." I am currently compiling some research for Laurie & Donnie (Ashley's parents) to take to a meeting they will be having with the Mayor, the Police Chief, and the City Manager on Dec. 11. I would greatly appreciate the prayers of those who pray as we try to wade through the many details and legalities to try to get something done about this so that there will not be another Ashley. And pray for us. It is hard, and we are hurting.

Well that settles it. No tank thread for me - I'll just post my pics in your thread from now on :P

It's okay on the frag - family is more important than a piece of coral. No room for it anyway until the new tank is running, especially with Secret Santa coming up (I even have zoa colonies in my sump right now!)

I hope all goes well in the upcoming meeting. A pedestrian bridge would be a good (permanent) alternative if they refuse to put the kids on a schoolbus, and the city, state, and/or federal governments could pay for it instead of just the school board budget.

Still praying for your family.

I did an interesting experiment today.

I've been having problems with this piece of coral, which has been indentified as an ORA Aussie Delicate coral:

DSCN1677.jpg

Over the last 5-7 days, it has been turning white all along the bottom of the piece, where it rests on the eggcrate. Here's a pic taken today that shows the bleaching:

DSCN1915.jpg

Now first of all, let me say that I am by no means an expert on sps. The only sps I've worked with before this are monti caps, which I've done very well with. But most of my sps knowledge is head knowledge rather than knowledge from personal experience.

I did consult a couple of other people on what to do about this, but when I saw today how quickly this was spreading, I realized that I needed to take quick action even though I hadn't had a chance to figure it all out yet.

So here's what I did.

I fragged off all of the healthy portions and threw away anything that had bleached areas on it. I ended up with a couple larger pieces, a couple medium sized pieces and several small spines.

1/3 of the pieces were returned to the tank with no other treatment.

1/3 of the pieces were placed in a dip consisting of 1 cup of tankwater and drop Lugol's Iodine for 3 mins., then rinsed and returned to the tank.

The final 1/3 was placed in the same dip as above except that it was double strength, with 2 drops of Lugol's.

I placed the fragged pieces on the bottom of the tank in lower light just for today, to give them a chance to recover a bit before returning to them to higher light tomorrow.

The coloration on the main body looked slightly lighter after treatment, probably due to stress, but there was good polyp extension.

Here's what the remaining pieces of this Delicate Coral looked like after treatment:

DSCN1921.jpg

DSCN1917.jpg

I IN NO WAY ADVOCATE THIS AS A TREATMENT FOR BLEACHING IN SPS CORALS,

it was simply an experiment on my part, and the best I could come up with when I realized I really needed to take immediate action.

I will post the results of this experiment over the next few days.

Well that settles it. No tank thread for me - I'll just post my pics in your thread from now on :P

LOL! Why didn't I think of that?!

I hope all goes well in the upcoming meeting. A pedestrian bridge would be a good (permanent) alternative if they refuse to put the kids on a schoolbus, and the city, state, and/or federal governments could pay for it instead of just the school board budget.

That sounds like an excellent idea!

I did an interesting experiment today.

So here's what I did.

I fragged off all of the healthy portions and threw away anything that had bleached areas on it. I ended up with a couple larger pieces, a couple medium sized pieces and several small spines.

1/3 of the pieces were returned to the tank with no other treatment.

1/3 of the pieces were placed in a dip consisting of 1 cup of tankwater and drop Lugol's Iodine for 3 mins., then rinsed and returned to the tank.

The final 1/3 was placed in the same dip as above except that it was double strength, with 2 drops of Lugol's.

I placed the fragged pieces on the bottom of the tank in lower light just for today, to give them a chance to recover a bit before returning to them to higher light tomorrow.

The coloration on the main body looked slightly lighter after treatment, probably due to stress, but there was good polyp extension.

Hey, that's fascinating. I look forward to following your experiment!

--Diane

put them under low light for a while ..nvm what do you dose?

I'm not dosing anything other than Reef Builder to bring the Alk up from 3 meq/l right now. Yesterday it was at 4 meq/l after a 20% WC and dosing Reef Builder.

Does anyone else out there think I should keep this in low light for a few days?

Any input?

i think i know why it was bleaching the bottom of the acro wasnt getting any light...acros branch vertically

If this is so then why was this exact area initially growing so much that it was starting to encrust on the eggcrate that it was resting on?

Hey Weetie!

Just noticed your thread here and just had to swing in and say "howdy".

Also have to relay the fact that since I have seen this prop tank in person it's a great little project that is doing it's thing well. Keep up the good work and let me know when you get some new zoas in :P

-geoff

Hadn't hit the thread in a bit. ONE person! That is just horrible. I'd have made up a new yahoo email if I would've known that, LOL. And weetie wins the contest when mr. and mrs. john smith are her last 2 entries! Bummer on that one.

+1 to the pedestrian bridge.

My prayers are with you and yours.

Bill

Hadn't hit the thread in a bit. ONE person! That is just horrible. I'd have made up a new yahoo email if I would've known that, LOL. And weetie wins the contest when mr. and mrs. john smith are her last 2 entries! Bummer on that one.

+1 to the pedestrian bridge.

My prayers are with you and yours.

Bill

It was frustrating, I admit.

BibleSue and I decided independantly of each other that it was time to take down our prop systems, and losing this contest was the trigger for me.

I just don't have enough $$ to maintain it under normal conditions and I thought if I won the contest it would be a more creative way to get in new stock to prop, but it looks like it just wasn't meant to be.

I love propping to much to give it up completely but I will be cutting waaaaay back.

The plan is to turn this tank into a 10g monti/zoa garden. I'm gonna set up a really nice LR framework and attach my favorite zoas to it in such a way that they will be able to cascade down the rocks as they spread and grow.

Monti's have worked really well for me, so I want to get some of the really nice color variants of plating and encrusting Monti's for this display. I currently have an orange monti cap and a blue polyp purple monti cap to start out with.

For the propping, I'm thinking of getting a couple of small magnetic racks from Sushi and attaching one on each side, higher up.

Tangboy, thank you so much for stopping by, both figuratively and literally. It's nice to have you here, stick around!

Dshnarw and c est ma, hijack and post your tank stuff all you want, we'll start our own NR commune of select members!

Dshnarw and c est ma, hijack and post your tank stuff all you want, we'll start our own NR commune of select members!

Communes--now that was MY era...far out. :D

It's nice to be one of the "select," but your heart is so big, Weetie, that pretty sure everyone would be part of the group. (And boy would your thread be full...)

Sorry that you feel you have to cut back. :( I guess the bright side is that it's always fun to plan and create a new tank. Looking forward to your next venture!

--Diane

One question about your bammboo scewers coudent they leach out into your tank?I was thinking about doing the same thing as you but with acrylic rods but if the bamboo dos not i think i would rather use a bammboo scewer instead (cost less)

-Mac

One question about your bammboo scewers coudent they leach out into your tank?I was thinking about doing the same thing as you but with acrylic rods but if the bamboo dos not i think i would rather use a bammboo scewer instead (cost less)

-Mac

I'm not sure what they would leach, they're just wood, right?

Now you've got me all paranoid since they've been in there about a month now.

Anyone?

Anyone??!

There's been some media hype about cyanide contamination in bamboo. I don't know what bamboo products this entails, or even if its a real concern...but I read an article about monkeys adapting to it in their diet.

I dont understand the "I just don't have enough $$ to maintain it". Were you guys buying corals specifically to prop? I guess my plan is more along the lines of fragging the corals I have and buy for my tanks. Then just selling them as I can. I already had a NC12 to use as a grow out tank though. So my only cost is salt for water changes.

Archived