ReefCleaners.org

Weetie's 10g Prop Tank

Weetabix7

The comments look like the same ones you see on any comments section now days. Be it a school shooting, dead soldier or other tragic event. I read a lot of different things on line and there are always people with a "troll" attitude. I don't know if it is the anonymity or posting on line or what. I wouldn't put too much stock in those comments. You guys are in the right and should keep pushing the issue.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news, the prop tank will continue!!!

It may be in a slightly modified form, but it will go on!

For those who participated in my UNBELIEVABLE surprise, you know who you are and this is for you:

hugs05.jpg

KISSES.gif

For those who weren't in on it, here's the story.

First of all, I got this unbelievable package of corals donated by nano-paul. They are absolutely gorgeous and I'm hoping they'll get me jump started on propagating sps.

Here's some pics.

First pic is from his tank, following pics are the same corals in my tank.

100_15031.jpg

DSCF3104.jpg

DSCF3106.jpg

DSCF3107.jpg

DSCF3108.jpg

But this wasn't all!

Then BibleSue shows up with this wrapped present that she presented to me that had a card on it that said "Secret Santa".

What's this, I already got my Secret Santa package???

I open it up and am flabbergasted to find a 70w MH retro fixture.

Then I opened up the card and found that in addition to that (as if that wasn't enough!) some extra $$$ that I can use toward much-needed supplies.

This pic pretty much sums up my response:

DSCF3103.jpg

The show will go on YAY!!!! :happydance:

In addition to all of that, I also got to have a day out with my sweetie thanks to BibleSue who watched my sweet little destructobots for me. Thanks BibleSue!

I got to enjoy a wonderful dinner and a movie and squeezed in some Christmas shopping for the kiddies as well. It felt so good to get out and have fun without being interrupted every 5 minutes by "Mommie, mommie!"

It's gonna be a looooong time before I have a day that beats this one!

YAAAAY! A fun holiday ...day! :P

Good for you, Weetie! :wub:

Also OMGCUUUTE @ frags & LOL :) @ YOU!

In an update on our continuing efforts to prevent more accidents like Ashley's and create safer conditions for students travelling to and from school, click on this link to a news story on the rally that was held yesterday.

Laurie Paine, who is at the end of the clip, is my sister.

http://www.wbir.com/video/player.aspx?aid=...d=52221&bw=

Just got to this point in the thread :o I'm sorry for your loss.

You guys are doing the right thing. Keep on fighting and my thoughts are with you.

That's great news and the frags look awesome. I live pretty close to nano-paul, but I've never gone to see him. It looks like I need to set an appointment soon.

That's great news and the frags look awesome. I live pretty close to nano-paul, but I've never gone to see him. It looks like I need to set an appointment soon.

You got that right!

I'd forgotten that you guys live close to each other.

Y'know, you really don't live that far from me either.

Looks like I might be able to do some decent trades with you after all. :D

The next time I see pics from your prop tank, I expect to see some of the frags with "Weetie" written on the plug! ;)

BustytheSnowMaam
Just read through this Weetie. I am so sorry for the parents of Ashley. I know first hand what the loss of a child can do to you and your family. My sone was murdered in a pizzeria robbery in 2000 where we live in Michigan.

http://apse.dallasnews.com/contest/2000/wr...ture.first.html

My heart goes out to them. Things will get back to normal over time, but the normal is not the same normal it was before. I think about my son and for the most part now 7 years later I can smile in remembering him. They will get there too, even though it feels like they never will right now.

Please give them all a hug for me and tell them how sorry I am that they are going through this pain.

Henry

Henry,

I am so sorry for what happened to Justin. He sounds like a great kid (I'm glad Mitch Albom was the one who wrote that article). Nothing like this should happen to anyone. We expect our kids to outlive us.

Glad to here the prop tank is going on. I dont know how I missed getting in on it, but i have some branching monti frags to send your way. Pm me your addy and Ill send it out after christmas.

70w retro lol...lucky

Very blessed to have such an amazing community of NR friends is more like it.

That retro is what is making it possible for me to keep this prop system going, it's the one thing I absolutely had to have and the one thing I was unable to get on my own even though I really tried.

The extra $$ above and beyond is going toward some much needed supplies, beginning with b-ionic and a Ca test kit, maybe a Mg test kit as well.

For those of you with sps out there, do you feed them anything? I was also looking at some stuff like Marine Snow in the catalog.

Dtfleming, I really appreciate the offer, but I honestly don't think I have any more room in the system at this exact moment. How about if you hang on to them and once I get everything reconfigured I'll work out a trade with you?

I really, really want to work on making sure this system is very stable and happy before I try to mess around with adding much to it. Honestly, I've never worked with the kinds of sps that nano-paul sent me before and I'm a little nervous that I'll mess up! They're really nice and I want to take good care of them and learn how to do a good job propping them.

I feel kinda like tashayar saying this, but the sps I'd always seen before in person just looked like off-white sticks. I genuinely didn't realize they came in such beautiful colors or I would have gotten started on them before this.

Just read through this Weetie. I am so sorry for the parents of Ashley. I know first hand what the loss of a child can do to you and your family. My sone was murdered in a pizzeria robbery in 2000 where we live in Michigan.

http://apse.dallasnews.com/contest/2000/wr...ture.first.html

My heart goes out to them. Things will get back to normal over time, but the normal is not the same normal it was before. I think about my son and for the most part now 7 years later I can smile in remembering him. They will get there too, even though it feels like they never will right now.

Please give them all a hug for me and tell them how sorry I am that they are going through this pain.

Henry

holy sh!t i rember that. i used to live right down the street from there. so sorry for ur loss.

sorry for the hijack weetie.

I only have a few SPS but when I feed the fish I see the SPS with cyclopeeze in their polyps. I have read the marine snow isnt such a good thing to add to the tank. DT's phyto and oyster eggs, coral frenzy, reef chili are supposed to be better. I make my own concoction of mysis, daphinia, baby brine, cyclopeeze, DT's phyto, selcon and garlic which I feed the fish/corals with at the same time. It seems to be working as I have good color and growth.

One thing I have noticed about SPS is they dont grow up and out until after they have spread onto the frag plug or rock they are glued to but once they get a good foot hold you can almost see them grow.

I tried the salifert mag test but didnt really like it. Too complicated and there was too much room for error on my part. Dont know if there are better test kits out there. I just do weekly water changes and my cal stays ok so I quit worrying about all the testing and dosing. My tanks always seem to do better if I leave them alone for the most part.

holy sh!t i rember that. i used to live right down the street from there. so sorry for ur loss.

sorry for the hijack weetie.

For Henry, you can hijack anytime.

My sentiments are much like yours, I am completely horrified that that happened to him and can very much empathize given the current situation with my family and Ashley. I've already told him this, but I can see many similiarities in personality between his son and Ashley.

Sperry, thank you very much for your input and for being the driving force behind all of this.

Guess I'll see you at the next frag swap after all!

Anyone else with sps input, I welcome your comments.

I'm looking at getting the Seachem test kits right now due to the recent inaccurate test kit batches that Salifert has put out. From what I've heard it just affects the Ca, Mg, and Alk test kits, but those are some of the ones I need, so...

Sperry, thank you very much for being the driving force behind all of this.

I wasnt me, it was the great NR community. I just mentioned something to a couple of people and all of a sudden there were PMs coming from everywhere. All I can say is I am very proud to be a member of such a group of people.

They printed an AWESOME letter that my sister wrote to the editor today in our newspaper.

It addressed all of the stuff that they have been leaving out of both the newspaper articles and news reports.

I am so proud of her for saying what she did and I'm thrilled that they printed it.

I think I need to start ignoring the comments afterwards though.

Anyway, here's a link to the article:

http://www.oakridger.com/stories/122007/opi_227157002.shtml

I applaud her for continuing her efforts! And the newspaper for printing her letter.

At least that one negative comment was the only one, and was argued against by several more. I'd like to see him say that if he'd lost his own child. Hell, any person can see that what he said was heartless and crude. Thank God for all the sane people that realize that this is about an innocent child and more that shouldn't see the same fate.

Weetie,

I've followed Ashley's story closely and I just want to let you know that you and your family are doing a great job in fighting to make the children safe. It's a hard fight, I know, but keep it up and keep the pressure on. I'm from Knoxville myself (Lenoir City actually) and everytime I see a post regarding Ashley I think of my nieces in Knoxville and I'm grateful that you and your family are standing up to make the crossings a safer place for everyone.

As for your tank - it absolutely rocks! Wow, I'm happy for you and glad to know your frag tank will continue. I now know who to visit when I'm back in town!

I just got back in the hobby after a 9 month break and I'm a little confused over the Salifert statements. Are you saying the Salifert test kits - specifically calcium are wrong? My new tank just finished cycling and I've been checking my calcium - way low. I've been dosing with a 2 part solution for a week and still can't get it past 330. I can't figure it out and now I'm questioning my new Salifert test kit.

I'm coming to Knoxville for the holidays and I'm so excited to be headed back to East TN. I hope the weather is nice!

Keep the pics coming!!!!!

With sps, high flow and light is the key. You dont really need to feed them anything. I have seen some of my sps eat some cyclopleeze. I dose Ca, Alk, and mg if needed. Becareful with B-Ionic, only dose it in the morning. I would look at twopartsolution.com or seachem reef, builder, buffer and turbo cal. also.

Apparently Salifert let out some bad batches of test kit reagents. Large ones.

Weetie,I've followed Ashley's story closely and I just want to let you know that you and your family are doing a great job in fighting to make the children safe. It's a hard fight, I know, but keep it up and keep the pressure on. I'm from Knoxville myself (Lenoir City actually) and everytime I see a post regarding Ashley I think of my nieces in Knoxville and I'm grateful that you and your family are standing up to make the crossings a safer place for everyone.As for your tank - it absolutely rocks! Wow, I'm happy for you and glad to know your frag tank will continue. I now know who to visit when I'm back in town!I just got back in the hobby after a 9 month break and I'm a little confused over the Salifert statements. Are you saying the Salifert test kits - specifically calcium are wrong? My new tank just finished cycling and I've been checking my calcium - way low. I've been dosing with a 2 part solution for a week and still can't get it past 330. I can't figure it out and now I'm questioning my new Salifert test kit.I'm coming to Knoxville for the holidays and I'm so excited to be headed back to East TN. I hope the weather is nice!Keep the pics coming!!!!!

Thank you!

Stop by when you come into town.

Here's a link to the Salifert info:http://www.club-zoa.com/forums/showthread....hlight=Salifert

With sps, high flow and light is the key. You dont really need to feed them anything. I have seen some of my sps eat some cyclopleeze. I dose Ca, Alk, and mg if needed. Becareful with B-Ionic, only dose it in the morning. I would look at twopartsolution.com or seachem reef, builder, buffer and turbo cal. also.

Why do you say that about b-ionic?

Everyone else I've spoken to about it speaks highly of it.

GOOD MORNING!!! :happydance:

That's all, I just wanted to say Good Morning.

My brain is very sleepy and I can't get it to wake up and I'm supposed to do all this catch up Christmas shopping with my mom but my phone is out and I can't get my poor lil sleepy head to function well enough to figure it all out.

It's all C7 and lgreen's fault, they kept me up late talking.

*YAWN*

That's all for me, what's up with you?

Cause the ALK part of the b-ionic will send your pH through the roof if you dose too late in the day.

Little slow there!

Yeah, I figured that out.

Luckily for me morning is actually a good time to dose, esp. since I just placed an order for b-ionic yesterday.

Ok, gotta run out for coffee to get the brain going...

Just saw an awesome scorpionfish at the LFS yesterday. Thought of your frogfish sig. He's about as big as my thumb and will follow you along the glass! Very kewl critter. What's the going rate for a frog/scorpion/leaf-fish out by you guys? I think the scorpion was like 25 and another LFS had a leaf for 35-40.

Bill

Archived