SaltCritters.com

Weetie's 10g Prop Tank

Weetabix7

Cant wait until the Tubb's Blues are fraggable.

Like the mini carpet, I am hoping to get two next week.

Dont know what the algae is but I had it in my 6gal until I put Dozer (large Turbo snail) in there. About a week later algae was gone, Dozer went back to the big tank and no more algae since.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weetie, with a 10gal tank, WC should replace the Mg for you. idk what salt mix your using. I bought Mg to dose, but never do because WC take care of it for me.

I actually posted that for the benefit of Needreefunds and BibleSue who may be having issues related to that.

I intend to do some research in that area, but I am NOT a big doser and don't intend to unless my research and testing reveals that my tank actually needs it.

Thanks for the comments though, they are always welcome and appreciated.

I actually posted that for the benefit of Needreefunds and BibleSue who may be having issues related to that.

I intend to do some research in that area, but I am NOT a big doser and don't intend to unless my research and testing reveals that my tank actually needs it.

Thanks for the comments though, they are always welcome and appreciated.

We both use Tropic Marin salt & distilled water. The tank I am having a problem with is my 10g personal tank. It is probably the sand bed even though I vacuum it. There are several areas that I can't get to with the vacuum. I don't dose now that I gave Weetie my Mvite blastos that were not making it in my tank. I go visit them from time to time! :lol:

I need to get a quick opinion from anyone out there who's watching right now.

I need to get more flow in this tank.

Do you think a Koralia 1 would be too strong, or just about right?

I'm gonna be propping mostly zoas, with a few sps and a very few lps.

I have 2 Koralia 1s in my 20H. Everything moves gently without being blasted. I think 1 would work in a 10gal if it was pointed from 1 side to the other.

SWEET coralline!!

BUM bum bum

da DA da da da da DAH...

Gosh DARN those S. Africaners and their creative naming genius, that dude has a lot to answer for, I'm gonna have Neil Diamond in my head all night now!

BTW, thanks Scott.

Anyone else wanna chime in?

Got big updates.

BibleSue and I were up til 3 AM last night doing tons of work on this prop tank as well as some fragging.

I removed several coral pieces from the bottom of the tank and returned them to my personal display tank, which I am getting back in order. The tupperware colony/mushie lagoon went as well.

I was encountering some film algae growing on the eggcrate which I think was due to inadequate circulation. Took the eggcrate out, cleaned off all the film algae, trimmed it down a little and added a small eggcrate second shelf. I actually used wooden skewers to help secure the second shelf; I have found these skewers to be an incredible all-purpose reef tool, second only to the turkey baster.

The circulation is/should be greatly improved from the space being opened up so much after I moved most of the bottom inhabitants out, and I am expecting a Koralia 1 in tomorrow, which should really kick the circulation up a notch! Once I put the Koralia 1 in, I will remove the small pico hob filter and Azoo 600 powerhead so that the Koralia will be providing all of the circulation.

I made a few smaller frags as well, some to fill requests and some to grow out.

Everybody is looking slightly peeved today after all the ruckus last night, but it's not too awful and I will be monitoring things closely to keep it on track.

Now for some pics.

Here's a top-down shot that shows the second shelf pretty clearly; if you look closely, you can see the skewers holding it in place.

DSCN1747.jpg

In this top-down shot you can see the air-driven skimmer that I cobbled together on the back right.

DSCN1746.jpg

Here's a few of the frags that I cut. They haven't been mounted yet.

DSCN1740.jpg

DSCN1738.jpg

DSCN1741.jpg

Here's a couple of different zoas that I wasn't able to get good pics of before I rearranged everything.

DSCN1730.jpg

DSCN1726.jpg

Hehe, missed the post about the flow in time. I was gonna suggest two korlia nanos, but I see you got the 1 instead. I bought a 15L tonight for my prop tank along with a 10gal sump/fuge.

Hehe, missed the post about the flow in time. I was gonna suggest two korlia nanos, but I see you got the 1 instead. I bought a 15L tonight for my prop tank along with a 10gal sump/fuge.

Awesome, can't wait to see what you do with it!

After all the work I did last night, I was looking at how full it was and thinking, "Man I need a bigger tank, maybe a 15L". Just thought it was funny given what you're gonna do.

yea, I was staring at the 20L and 15L, decided to go with the 15L because I already have equipment for it and I can get away with one 150W pendent.

yea, I was staring at the 20L and 15L, decided to go with the 15L because I already have equipment for it and I can get away with one 150W pendent.

You think it'll reach the ends of the tank okay? It seems like it would be kind of a long tank for that. I was thinking of doing 2 70w MH retros in a long DIY fixture if I end up getting a 15L down the road.

AcroporaLokani

DSCN1747.jpg

DSCN1740.jpg

Looks cool. Are the green zoanthids eagle eyes?

I like the rust orange looking acropora (possibly a montipora?) on the top shelve.

needs more anemones!

You're absolutely right!!!

How bout you send me one of those nice ones you just fragged???

I think I might be getting one more next Tues., but I have no idea what it'll look like.

DSCN1747.jpg

DSCN1740.jpg

Looks cool. Are the green zoanthids eagle eyes?

I like the rust orange looking acropora (possibly a montipora?) on the top shelve.

I don't actually know what the green ones are. I got them from NRay, who was calling them "Granny Smith". They are even more insanely neon green in person than they are in the pic. I'm not usually big on green zoas, but these are nice, and they grow well too.

As far as the top shelf, the one on the right I THINK is an acro (I would welcome an ID) and is the same as this:

DSCN1677.jpg

The one on the left is a blue polyped purple Monti Cap that may possibly be Idaho Grape. It's hard to get a good pic of it, but here's a kinda blue pic that nevertheless clearly shows it's blue polyps:

DSCN1657.jpg

Quickie update:

I removed the Azoo 600 powerhead and added a Koralia 1 a couple of days ago. There was a short adjustment period for some of the corals, but things are looking improved after they've had a couple of days to get used to the new, increased flow.

I have a favia frag that is looking fatter and happier than he's been since I got him.

My pavona has gone back to the full polyp extension that it had when I first got it.

My blue polyp purple monti cap is looking good.

The only negative is that one of my pink zoas have faded a bit since I added the Koralia, which is a real bummer cause they were insanely bright and gorgeous.

All of the new frags I made are looking nice and healthy.

Here's some new pics.

This first one is of a frag of EvilMel's Green Skirts that BibleSue and I were both able to pick up recently at my LFS. They have nice fat polyps with an almost velvety coloring that doesn't quite come through in the pic.

DSCF2811.jpg

This next pic is of some polyps that I have a VERY hard time getting a good picture of. In person they are a solid, deep, dark purple color.

RSCN1792.jpg

Okay, was fooling around with the camera and got some more pics today.

This is of a frag that I got in a trade with DeMartini. Stupid Post Office took 4 DAYS to get it to me, and it still made it!!! It's opening a little more every day. The colors are more vibrant in person, but here ya go:

DSCN1799.jpg

My Xmas Favia and pink yuma:

DSCN1803.jpg

Some watermelon zoas:

DSCN1805.jpg

On another subject entirely, I could use help with something simple and reef-related that would take about 5 minutes of your time. PM me for info.

Here's one that I've posted pics of before, but I have a really hard time getting a pic that shows the true color. This is probably the closest so far, but it's still a little off. The true color is a brownish purple base with very blue polyps. It's a plating monti. If anyone knows an official ID on it, I'd appreciate if you could let me know. I picked it up at a frag swap.

BibleSue has the same thing in her tank, and under her 10k MH, it's morphed to a deep lavendar, but with no blue polyps showing.

RSCN1795.jpg

Archived