ReefCleaners.org

Weetie's 10g Prop Tank

Weetabix7

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I'm amazed at is that the person who's sole job is to serve and protect the public is completely unhelpful in doing so. Definitely better to have the mayor, but you'd expect the police chief to make some effort.

Wish I had C7's psych studies around as a teen, "Well mom, I got a speeding ticket, but it's not my fault. I didn't fully understand the consequences of my actions. See...here's the study!"

We are hoping to be able to mobilize enough citizens to force the issue with our elected officials so that they will HAVE to do something. There are enough people in this town who are really upset that this is not an unrealistic goal. We just need to move people to ACT and not merely have angry discussions that "something should be done." We need them to help us make sure that something IS done.

Ashley's parents had friends all over this town, and Ashley herself had an enormous impact on many of her peers while she was still alive.

In fact, the reason that she was riding her bike to school was so that she would be able to be there for her friends before school started.

Apparently there was a large group of students that got together in the cafeteria before school, and Ashley was the one they came to for help with all of their problems and conflicts.

Ashley's mother offered many times to give her a ride to school, but Ashley said that she needed to get there earlier so that she would be available to help out her friends.

I sense a note of teenage melodrama there, but from what I know of Ashley there was also some truth to that.

My family has been in the news a lot lately. Here's today's article:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/dec/12/p...or-road-safety/

Two days ago, bus service was restored to the children who live in the townhome complex that Ashley's family lives in so that no schoolchildren will have to walk through the intersection that caused Ashley's death.

The one-mile walk zone is still in effect for all other children living within a mile of the school.

This basically just prevents any children from having to walk through this particular intersection.

I have mixed feelings on this. I'm very glad they did it, but I feel sick that they didn't do it before Ashley died trying to negotiate that intersection.

We had a gathering with 90 people at that intersection tonight. We released helium balloons with Ashley's picture and a note attached to the string, and then had a candlelight vigil/remembrance ceremony for Ashley.

Here's a link to a newsclip from that:

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=7500420

I'll try to get back on track with tank post soon!

Hey, it's a victory! :flower:

You know, I had a dream about Ashley last night. It was very bittersweet... I didn't even know her, but even in my dream she was an absolute doll.

Hey, it's a victory! :flower:

You know, I had a dream about Ashley last night. It was very bittersweet... I didn't even know her, but even in my dream she was an absolute doll.

Wow, that's interesting, you'll have to PM me with the details.

Ashley was extremely social, but not in a girly kind of way.

I think she actually had more boy friends than girl friends, although she had a lot of both. She was very much a leader, and was the person that all of her friends always came to for help. She was always trying to cheer people up and encourage them.

She was very good at sports, especially soccer, and was immensely physically strong. Her dad is around 200 lbs., but she could pick him up around the waist and carry him with ease. It's hard to believe that a 12 yr. old girl could do that, but I've seen it.

She really loved babies and children. She was always playing and interacting with my children and was a big help to her mom with her new little brother. Here she is holding him, shortly before the accident:

Ashley.jpg

She was an extremely beautiful child and was turning into a beautiful young woman. She had very striking, intense blue eyes and lovely long, dark, wavy hair. She always liked wearing it back though, usually under a bandanna.

Her school picture was taken very shortly before the accident, and she wore her hair down as a special thing for her mom because she knew she'd like it.

She was extremely close to her mom, my sister. She literally came and told her mom goodbye before she left.

It's good to hear that they are doing the right thing Weetie.

Certainly the fact that you still had to fight for this even after the loss of such an exceptional young lady is very disturbing.

And as for getting this thread back on topic....This is YOUR thread.

I check up on this thread to see how YOU and your tank are doing.

JMO.

:flower:

Certainly the fact that you still had to fight for this even after the loss of such an exceptional young lady is very disturbing.

And as for getting this thread back on topic....This is YOUR thread.

I check up on this thread to see how YOU and your tank are doing.

JMO.

:flower:

Thank you for that, I do appreciate it.

I just need to have somewhere I can talk about it, y'know?

Thanks to everyone who's hanging there with me through all the non-aquatic posts!

My sister Laurie will be emailing me the poem that she wrote for Ashley and read at her funeral. Anyone interested in reading it, PM me. It's very beautiful and bittersweet. But be warned, it might make you cry, even some of you manly men.

I've got some cool new things in the future for my little 10g tank, and I'm hoping to get started on those before long. I'll update here when I do.

While restoring busing to Ashley's complex is a step in the right direction, the fact that there is still a one mile rule is bothersome. A lot can happen to a child in one mile. I hope they will restore busing to all kids and find money else where.

Keep up the good fight.

While restoring busing to Ashley's complex is a step in the right direction, the fact that there is still a one mile rule is bothersome. A lot can happen to a child in one mile. I hope they will restore busing to all kids and find money else where.

Keep up the good fight.

That's how we all feel, that it's a step in the right direction but there's a lot more work to be done.

One immediate solution while the city and school board are slowly working on long-term solutions is to hire crossing guards. We only have 2 crossing guards right now and there are many, many more places where they are needed.

The city told us that they have advertised for them but gotten little response since it's a low paying job where you basically only work 2 hrs. a day for 5 days of the week.

We are being given the chance to speak at the very beginning of the City Council meeting on Mon. night, and I plan on making a very strong plea to those in the audience to apply for the crossing guard positions.

But you're all making excellent progress! You've got more than just a foot in the door. :flower:

I'll write up a description of my dream if you'd like to read about it. I didn't want to get into it in case you might find it disturbing; honestly I had a dream about my ex-bf's wife that passed away a couple weeks after it happened and it was very much unsettling. I'm better now, and really it was mostly because of the tone of the dream, everything very sneaky and evil, some kind of horrible twist on things. The dream about Ashley was none of that, only honest and sweet but of course very sad. Let me know and I'd love to tell.

But you're all making excellent progress! You've got more than just a foot in the door. :flower:

I'll write up a description of my dream if you'd like to read about it. I didn't want to get into it in case you might find it disturbing; honestly I had a dream about my ex-bf's wife that passed away a couple weeks after it happened and it was very much unsettling. I'm better now, and really it was mostly because of the tone of the dream, everything very sneaky and evil, some kind of horrible twist on things. The dream about Ashley was none of that, only honest and sweet but of course very sad. Let me know and I'd love to tell.

Yeah, tell me, but wait one more day before you do.

For some reason, I've been thinking about the accident all day.

No worries... I honestly couldn't bear to write it up yet. Some people would call me a bleeding-heart, and maybe sometimes I get way too emotional, but I guess I should value that vs. the opposite spectrum, not caring about anything and having some kind of façade of stone. I'll write it up tomorrow, and make the title clear, and you can choose to read it later or not at all, and of course I'd never be offended regardless.

You have all our sympathy, Weetie. I, for one, have never had to experience such a thing as a death close to me (maybe luckily), and whatever it takes to recover, do it. Take a break if you need to, cry if you need to, etc. We all offer our love for Ashley and for you and your family...and hers.

*sigh*where i live we have a 2 mile bus rule... its only a two way street but people drive live maniacts... three childen have been bit by a car while returning home... still has not opend there eyes... also my mother whas driving (at the school hour spead limit 20mph) she was goin about 18mph then a school child ran acroos the road to go home my mom stoped a truck was speading up to pass her probobly 32mph hit my mom's car in the back...my mother had no seriuse injereas but had a mild councushon a some neck problems (could not move her head at all!!!) but shes fine now...wish i could say the same for you my deepest codolences...at least shes in a better place right now...

-Mac

Just read through this Weetie. I am so sorry for the parents of Ashley. I know first hand what the loss of a child can do to you and your family. My sone was murdered in a pizzeria robbery in 2000 where we live in Michigan.

http://apse.dallasnews.com/contest/2000/wr...ture.first.html

My heart goes out to them. Things will get back to normal over time, but the normal is not the same normal it was before. I think about my son and for the most part now 7 years later I can smile in remembering him. They will get there too, even though it feels like they never will right now.

Please give them all a hug for me and tell them how sorry I am that they are going through this pain.

Henry

Well, I made the front page of the paper today, along with Ashley's parents.

Here's the article:

http://www.oakridger.com/stories/121807/new_226374500.shtml

The meeting with the City Council last night was very encouraging.

They mentioned several things that they were actively working on to improve the safety situation, including more active recruitment of crossing guards.

One of the Council members mentioned that he had visited one of our rallies at the intersection and had read our handout with our list of suggestions of things that could be done to address this issue, and he felt they were reasonable and well thought-out.

Another council member asked outright why bussing was not available to all of our students.

God bless them both.

Donnie and Laurie (Ashley's parents) spoke and addressed some of the concerns that they have had, including the fact that they know of one woman who applied for the crossing guard position 2 months before Ashley's accident but was not contacted until after Ashley's death.

I spoke and asked for people to apply for the Crossing Guard openings and mentioned that there are 13 intersections indentified by the Police Dept. as being high-traffic areas that schoolchildren in the 1 mile walk zone must navigate.

Several other people spoke as well and the atmosphere on the whole was a positive one.

The School Board Superintendant got up and spoke and basically said that even if you offer bus service to students, not all of them take advantage of it. This is so lame, and no excuse for not even giving them a choice!

There is a great deal that was left out of the news report last night and the front page newspaper article from today, both of which I linked.

There is a great deal that I have left out as well, but I didn't want to go on and on.

For those who read the article that I have linked in this post above, check out the comments at the end of the article as well. I posted comments under the name "Ashley's Aunt".

Just read through this Weetie. I am so sorry for the parents of Ashley. I know first hand what the loss of a child can do to you and your family. My sone was murdered in a pizzeria robbery in 2000 where we live in Michigan.

http://apse.dallasnews.com/contest/2000/wr...ture.first.html

My heart goes out to them. Things will get back to normal over time, but the normal is not the same normal it was before. I think about my son and for the most part now 7 years later I can smile in remembering him. They will get there too, even though it feels like they never will right now.

Please give them all a hug for me and tell them how sorry I am that they are going through this pain.

Henry

Wow, Henry! I am sooo sorry! I lost my sister who was 1 year older when I was 21 & you are right. It changes life forever. Time does help a lot. Thanks for sharing your story.

Henry,

OMG, I am SO sorry. I was crying half-way through that article. What an appalling nightmare! My heart goes out to you and yours...Just so ineffably sad...

--Diane

Weetie,

Thanks for the encouragement to read the comments section of the article. That's really where it all comes out, isn't it? I am disgusted by those who want to put the blame at the feet of a 12-year-old who "made a bad choice." HUH?! !

I am so impressed at how level-headed you (and Ashley's parents!) are able to be in this situation. It was so admirable the way you kept trying to draw the discussion back into the realm of actually getting something done rather than uselessly (and self-righteously) pointing fingers.

Oh, Laurie looked so much like Ashley in that picture!...

--Diane

Weetie,

Thanks for the encouragement to read the comments section of the article. That's really where it all comes out, isn't it? I am disgusted by those who want to put the blame at the feet of a 12-year-old who "made a bad choice." HUH?! !

I am so impressed at how level-headed you (and Ashley's parents!) are able to be in this situation. It was so admirable the way you kept trying to draw the discussion back into the realm of actually getting something done rather than uselessly (and self-righteously) pointing fingers.

Oh, Laurie looked so much like Ashley in that picture!...

--Diane

THANK YOU for seeing that Diane!

I get so frustrated at all the negativity and argumentation in the comments on those articles. Some of what's in there is actually coming from the people who are working with us and trying to get their points out there (I was there, I was there too, etc.), but some of it is people just sitting behind a keyboard and arguing.

I want them to just stop arguing and DO SOMETHING that will make a difference!

The attitude from the Mayor's office and City Council, and at the meeting as well, has actually been a great deal more positive.

That's actually not a good pic of Laurie, I'll have to send you a better one. A lot of people think she and I look a lot alike although I think a lot of it is the hair.

Tashayar said she thought Ashley and I have the same eyes. I've always thought Ashley had the most beautiful eyes so I was really moved when she said that.

You and Ashley's parents are doing a wonderful thing for the community and the children in taking up the call for safer ways to get to school. Let those that post that it was Ashley's choice to do what she did slide right off your back and not deter you and the parents from what your mission is.

yes it was Ashley's choice to do what she did. That being said children in general do not make the correct decisions all the time, that is why they have parents, to protect them and to teach them. If this had happened to one of their children I believe their tune would have been different. Don't get distracted keep up the fight. I told you about the things we have done to promote safety for the children of our community, and I firmly believe what you are doing will be of benefit to all.

My goodness, they're putting blame on the girl? Are they messed up in the head?! I'm sorry, but sometimes (often) my faith in humanity really falters. It's just disgusting.

What bothers me about people saying that it was Ashley's choice to ride her bike home from school is that she was never given the choice to ride the bus.

When she lived in a different area and was allowed to ride the bus because she wasn't in a 1 mile walk zone, she made the CHOICE to ride the bus every time!

The responsibility lies with the people who took that choice away from her!

C7, if you want to see the comments that are being referred to, read the comments posted at the end of the article that I put the last link to above.

Archived