• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
All the pics are gone omgomgomg:(

Oops.

That's too bad, there were some good ones.

Musta been from when I was cleaning old stuff out of my Photobucket acct.

Yeah I wanted to read the thread but its kinda useless without pics

You a fan of Comic Books?

Just wondering.

• 4 weeks later...

Some relevant posts from this thread for a discussion that Needreefunds, n0rk and I are having.

For anyone wanting in on the discussion, see n0rk's LED Experimental Pico thread.

I'm feeling a little discouraged with this tank tonight.

I guess it's not anything huge, it's just that some things are looking a little "off" and I can't seem to be able to correct it, something most of us have probably experienced at one time or another.

I did a 1.5g WC yesterday to try to stabilize things a bit, but didn't really see any improvement.

I've been using Tropic Marin salt recently to mix water with and BibleSue and I have had a few issues with Tropic Marin, so today I mixed some water with 1/2 TM salt and 1/2 Reef Crystals, which I've used in the past. Did a 1g WC with that mix today, and a few things actually looked worse afterwards.

Not everything is affected, just a few things here and there.

A few zoas that have previously done fine aren't opening as well as they should.

An encrusting monti I got from nano-paul hasn't really had much polyp extension for around 3 wks. now.

An olive polyped monti digi from nano-paul seems to be losing some color, though polyp ext. is fine.

All other sps from nano-paul seem fine, and I'm still seeing a little bit of growth on them.

My orange monti cap that I've had FOREVER has faded from orange to peach, though there's still polyp extension.

This frag that I just got a week or so ago at the swap is continuing to have gradual tissue loss

I've dipped it twice in Tech-D with no improvement. I suspect it may have had a problem to begin with though, since the white line on the left was there when I got it, just smaller. It was the only thing I pre-bought, guess I need to talk to the guy I got it from.

It seems like temps have consistently been about 1 degree warmer on a daily basis for at least the last couple of weeks, and I'm not sure what's causing it.

Only new thing is the Rio Taam skimmer, and I've left it off for the last day and a half with no temp improvement. I also wondered if micro bubbles from the skimmer could be causing a problem, but again no improvement with it off that I can see. I've used Poly-Filter sponges to try to filter out micro-bubbles, but some still get in the display.

THINGS I HAVE BEEN DOING DIFFERENTLY

I think the biggest thing is really just change, but this has been unavoidable.

-I have fragged things and sold them for the frag swap.

-I have put all the new pieces pictured on the preceding pages in from the swap.

-I got a Taam Rio HOB skimmer from holdorf333, so I removed the one I cobbled together and put the new one in. I'd say the skimmer change happened around 2 1/2 weeks ago.

-I started dosing with B-Ionic. I check Alk and Ca daily before dosing and keep a log.

-Different salt mixes, explained below

SALT MIX ISSUES

-Started having problems with Tropic Marin.

I have used Tropic Marin for around 15 yrs. and been happy with it, but recently BibleSue and I have both been having problems with it, and in checking around we noticed other people posting about issues with TM including increased nuisance algae growth. She had problems with WC water consistently mixing up cloudy and with white, floating particles. She eliminated every possible source for the problem other than the salt itself. I had problems with things just looking "off". The Tropic Marin manufacturers have been very good about communicating with her and seem to be making a genuine attempt to find the source of the problem.

-Started using Reef Crystals, which seemed to be okay, but then foolishly switched to Red Sea Coral Pro. This was shortly after adding nano-paul's sps to the sytem in December. I wanted to be sure that I had enough Ca in the water and the LFS had just started to carry Red Sea salt for a good price. I checked around with others and heard good stuff, so decided to try it. Did 2 WC's with it in 2 tanks, many corals seemed unhappy with it. The salt mixed up at 360 Ca instead of the 450-480 it should have and I suspect I may have gotten a bad bucket. Stopped using it after 2 WC's.

-Switched back to TM at this point. In trying to correct the batch issues, the TM company sent BibleSue a bag from their warehouse in GA of TM salt. This batch mixed up clear instead of cloudy like it had been at BibleSue's house, so she split the bag with me.

However, things were still looking off in my tank, so I suspected the TM salt might still be having issues and decided to switch back to Reef Crystals.

-Tried to switch back to Reef Crystals on Monday of this week. Mixed water with half TM salt and half of the new box of RC. When I opened the box of RC, the salt was clumped together in almost a solid block. It could be broken apart, but wasn't loose like it should have been. Went ahead with the attempt. Corals look more unhappy after the 2 WC's now.

I just am not having good luck with salt AT ALL lately!

It's hard to know what to do since I feel like all the change is contributing to unhappy corals, but I cannot correct things without changing something.

I'm thinking of trying Oceanic now for want of a better idea.

LIGHTING

-I have not changed this, but I strongly suspect my Phoenix 14k bulb is losing spectrum. It's only 7 months or so old, but it really looks different to me lately. I will change this as soon as I am able but would like to point out that this would cause a loss of bright color in corals rather than unhappy corals.

My planned prop tank mini-upgrade is to connect up a 5.5 AGA to this 10g tank and put a new 70w MH over it with a 14k Astralux bulb. Since this is a new bulb, it would take care of this particular issue and I can put all the sps and light demanding corals in the 5.5 under this fixture.

I would keep the same existing water and LR, but would be just adding 5g or so of new water. This would of course be another change!

Gaaaagh!!!!! omgomgomg

If anyone has any input or ideas they would of course be greatly appreciated.

I would like to point out that I am not having a tank crash nor are all of the corals unhappy. Many of them seem to be either thriving or at least okay. However, I know how my corals should be looking and things are definitely "off" for at least a few of them.

Guess what?

No really, guess.

Aw forget it, you'll never guess what happened to my tank last night.

My 2 yr. old, that's what happened.

While I was in the middle of an important phone call last night, he dragged a chair over to the counter in front of the prop tank, opened a bottle of a liquid garlic supplement (NOT for aquariums!), spilled the contents all over the counter and put the eye-dropper top into the prop tank. I was actually very suspicious that he might have put the top in the tank when I couldn't find it, but I looked all over in the tank and couldn't see it there either.

I found it this morning, floating behind the lip of my HOB skimmer.

Other than garlic, there is also grain alcohol and DI water in the garlic supplement. So I've had garlic and grain alcohol in my tank all night. The garlic probably isn't such a bad thing, but I doubt the grain alcohol is good for it.

Luckily I have a skimmer on the tank and some small Poly-Filter pads as well, which I'm sure helped.

Things actually only looked a little off, surprisingly.

I have some water mixing right now and had planned on doing a 4g WC, but Prop says this will cause a drop in Alk. So what say you, Duane, should I do the 4g WC or not? Do a smaller WC? Go ahead and do the 4g WC but add buffer?

If I add buffer, should I use part 1 of B-Ionic (the Alk component), Reef Builder or Reef Buffer? I have all 3 on hand.

More:

No, I'm actually still using Oceanic, I'm just being careful where I get it from.

I recently did a 2g WC to combat the Garlic Water.

Today my Ca is 500 and my Alk is 3.0 meq/l. I didn't check the PH to be honest with you.

I moved 2 pieces over to my 16g display tank. I moved the Kiwi Confusa which has browned out everywhere but in the center, and I moved the Orange and Green Monti that everyone keeps trying to get me to frag for them. It wasn't awful, but the polyp extension was half of what it usually is.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I did a 1.5g WC tonight and saw the first improvement in a bit in my unhappy palys. They perked up right away. Yay for me!!! :D

I am EXTREMELY frustrated with this tank right now.

Some of my sps are STN'ing.

I feel like I'm killing myself to try to correct things and just not getting very far.

Grrr. :angry:

After seeing the AWT results, I decided to try WC's with 1/2 Tropic Marin, 1/2 Oceanic. Some of my corals got unhappy.

I don't really have an explanation for it right now, but Tropic Marin, Red Sea Coral Pro and Reef Crystals all make my corals unhappy. Only Oceanic actually perks them up after a WC, so I'm doing straight Oceanic for right now.

Broke the test tube for my Ca test kit today, so I can't track that either right now.

When I dose the Alk component of B-Ionic, I get what looks like small solid pieces of something in the liquid. It doesn't have precipitated crystals on the bottom of the bottle so I don't know what that is, but I'm a little uneasy about it.

I think for right now I'm gonna stop testing, stop dosing, and just do frequent WC's with Oceanic til things stabilize.

If some of my sps dies, it dies, I'm over it.

(I had been having problems with different salt mixes, AWT is a company that produced an analysis of water mixed with different salt brands.)

Will give you Alk readings tomorrow.

Ca test kit ordered a couple of days ago, on the way.

7-8 lbs. LR in tank. No sand, BB.

Only livestock is a few snails, no fish or inverts.

150w MH retro fixture w/14k Phoenix bulb, raised about 8" over tank. Light is on from 1-8 p.m.

Temps run from about 78-81, depending on how long light has been on.

Circulation is Koralia 1, small pico hob, and Nano-Remora skimmer hooked up to MJ900.

Skimmer has been on tank around 5-6 days and is still in break-in period, but pulling some skimmate.

Had a TAAM Rio HOB skimmer on there previously.

I'm planning on doing 2g WC's for the next 5 days and then I have something else in the works to help stabilize this tank. Don't wanna let the cat out of the bag yet.

More info tomorrow, I'm tired and need dinner.

Good grief, those issues and the garlic story were 3 years ago?!? Man I feel old. I remember that like it was 3 weeks ago.

More:

can i see the ingredients of the alcohol and garlic? maybe a link to the product?

I threw the bottle away a couple of days ago, but I read the label right after the incident and I do remember what it said.

It's actually a natural healing/health food type supplement rather than something for cooking purposes.

I got it to treat my son's ear infection. It cleared up the infection after one dose btw, MUCH faster than any antibiotics I've ever tried!

Anyway, the label said it was 60% grain alcohol, DI water, and garlic. It didn't give the amts. of garlic or DI water.

It was only a small amt. that got in there, to my knowledge, although I still think it's the cause of the current issues.

Think of a liquid bottle with an eye dropper. The eye dropper part was dropped in the tank and floating in there overnight. The eye dropper was full of the garlic liquid when I pulled it out the next day.

At the same time since I didn't actually see it, I have no way of knowing whether my son poured some of the liquid into the tank. It's just an educated guess that he didn't based on the amt. of liquid on the counter and what I know of his nature.

Source water is distilled water from Wal-Mart.

I just finished doing a 2g WC (cause it's all the water I had made up).

I also fragged off all bleached/STN areas and dipped ALL the sps, both happy and unhappy, in Tech-D.

And now for some FUN stuff!!!

Some nifty WL Deja Vu:

The following people are allowed to hijack my thread whenever the fancy takes them:

BibleSue

SPerry

dshnarw

arwndsh

Needreefunds

Caesar777

c est ma

tashayar

MyCatsDrool

Clifford513

varanus37

ReeFur

dtfleming

holdorf333

The only provision to this is that if it's a stupid hijack, I have the option of removing your name from the list.

Okay, here's your partying pics!

DSCF3936.jpg

The doofus with the cone-nose is knoxvegas, my very first NR friend. Turns out his son and mine get along famously, so they were there for my little boy's fifth birthday party, where these pics were taken.

The tank in the pic is my 16g display tank.

By a freak chance, I got some footage last night of what I think may have been my brain coral spawning.

It gets a little tedious in the middle, but if you keep watching there's some interesting fish action near the end.

Make sure to turn your volume up so you can hear my commentary.

http://tinyurl.com/38oe7f

^^Oooh. It's just like in those nature documentaries. Move over David Attenborough... ;)

I've heard that this kind of coral action is very popular in Germany.

This thread is kind of like my own little coffeehouse that I decided to open on NR.

A bunch of us like to come here and hang out, sometimes we talk about my prop tank and sometimes we just goof off.

We've got a bunch of old comfy couches and chairs and a few beat up but serviceable coffee tables to put our feet and the snacks on.

The Hipster Prop Grandma munching peanut m&m's on the couch is BibleSue.

The scruffy guy nattering on about nems to the Natalie Portman look-alike is dshnarw and arwndsh.

The intelligent yet unassuming lady with the long hair and holey jeans passing around killer macro photo's of her tank is c est ma. Listen to her.

The silent guy in the corner wearing the ninja costume is adinsxq, we like to humor him.

The frazzled looking girl with the striped fuzzy socks and long hair having the "Woe is me, my prop tank is in the toilet!" conversation with the big goofball in the red sweatshirt is me and Needreefunds.

We're perfectly happy to have you here, pull up a chair, put your feet up and help yourself to the chips 'n dip (no double dipping!), but if we're in the middle of a conversation about the most successful way to breed Aceteminophors and you jump in and ask what we think you should dose in your tank, we're likely to look at you a little funny before continuing on with our conversation.

Just hang out, participate in the conversation at hand, and let us get to know you a little bit, okay?

Oh, and as mentioned earlier, cookies are always appreciated. :happy:

More serious stuff:

I ended up doing a 3g WC on the tank. Keep in mind that although it's a 10g tank the total water volume is probably around 8.5g, so that's a larger WC percentage wise than it may sound.

I felt like there was too big of a difference in Alk to risk doing a larger WC than that.

I'm actually not seeing a huge difference in response of the corals to the WC. A few of the Monti's seem to have more polyps out.

My Nuclear Greens were closed yesterday and are open now.

My Bam-Bam's have been mildly annoyed and don't look any better.

That's about it. I will continue to watch it closely, of course.

My current plan is to continue doing 3g water changes every day for the next 3 days.

I am totally open to any input or suggestions you guys might have, of course.

This used to be an olive-colored Monti Digi:

DSCN2315.jpg

This is the Monti that got so distressed when I tried to frag the STN area off of it:

DSCN2313.jpg

These are some frags that are mostly doing okay. If you look on the left hand side you can see to Acro frags that have STN at their bases.

DSCN2316.jpg

THIS TANK IS HEREBY OFFICIALLY DECOMMISSIONED.

After the last water change I was seeing tissue loss on corals that had previously been completely healthy and shown no problems, both LPS and SPS.

I have used up absolutely every resource that I have to try to save this tank, and I'm out.

Some of the frags have been moved to my 16g display tank, some have been moved to my 5.5g quarantine tank which is ironically the healthiest tank I now have, and some are temporarily in a large styro shipping container with LR, a heater and circulation awaiting their final destination.

I plan on selling some of the healthy zoa frags in a few days since I don't have room to keep them all.

Some of the sps are being "re-homed".

I am keeping as many of my favorite frags as I have room for in my display tank-- I had ultimately intended to put them there anyway.

And I'm not positive yet, but I think I will be keeping just a few frags in the 5.5 with the 70w MH over it just to keep my hand in the propagating game. I love it too much to totally give it up just yet. Hopefully I'll be able to keep doing it on a smaller scale until I'm able to get a larger prop tank going again.

I would like to offer up a ginormous THANK YOU to the many people who have encouraged and supported me.

Once I have this 10g tank completely emptied of water and scrubbed down, I plan on resurrecting it as something completely new and potentially very cool as well.

I'll start a new thread for version 2.0 when I do that, so keep your eyes peeled.

Until then, I will continue to hang out and "chat" with whoever would like to stop by and post here.

i hope things go better for you weet

Thank you, but this is old.

I brought it back up because it is relevant to a discussion that n0rk, Needreefunds and I are having and I wanted to get all the posts together in a timeline.

• 5 years later...
On 11/3/2007 at 6:10 PM, Weetabix7 said:

For those who missed it elsewhere, here's some pics of the next generation of propagators at the Reef Chicks Coral Kitchen:

DSCF2365.jpg

DSCF2359.jpg

We're raising 'em up right!

Holy wow, just came across this old pic of my kiddos trying to "help" me frag corals and just had to share!!

The boy in the first pic is now taller than me. :unsure:

Archived