SaltCritters.com

Weetie's 10g Prop Tank

Weetabix7

I appreciate the input Scott, but why would there be a danger of flooding if the two tanks are the exact same height?

I would have the return pump in the sump already anyway.

I'm sorry I'm just not getting it. :wacko:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Your way the U Tube is the drain to the sump running on a siphon principle. If the siphon breaks/stops for whatever reason the display will flood and the sump will get drained. = Bad

2. Or if the pump stops/power outage the siphon will keep going unless you have a siphon break. Draining the display and flooding the sump. Once the power comes back on the return pump will start but the siphon wont. See 1. = Bad

My way the drain is a bulkhead at the water line of the display. So there is no siphon to worry about. Whatever amount of water the pump puts into the display an equal amount will drain back into the sump. It will stop and start with the pump. Assuming nothing blocks the drain there is no way to flood.

The display is above the sump just to make room for the bulkheads and so gravity will help the drain work.

I appreciate the input Scott, but why would there be a danger of flooding if the two tanks are the exact same height?

I would have the return pump in the sump already anyway.

I'm sorry I'm just not getting it. :wacko:

Welcome back to the morning edition of Weetie's Prop Tank.

Today's topics for discussion will be:

"The Refractometer Who Lied"

and

"Fancy Flemish Farting Aquariums".

The last couple of weeks or so, my prop tank has been "off". No outbreaks or plagues, just corals that don't want to open all the way and a general air of discontent.

I think I've nailed down a couple of minor issues and corrected them, but there are a couple of other things I'd like to get everyone's input on.

The first of these is my refractometer. I've had this refractometer since May of this year, it was purchased in an NR group buy. Up until recently it's given me no cause for complaints. But lately I've been noticing that it has been taking much less salt to make up my water change water, and I seem to be getting false high readings. Before anyone asks, it HAS been calibrated, both with distilled water and calibrating fluid.

BibleSue's husband says that you need to use the same amount of water each time to get an accurate reading, he recommends 2 drops. He says if you use too much water it will skew the results.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

The other issue is that my aquarium seems to have a gas problem. :eek:

Around 5:30 every day, when my aquarium lights have been on for 3 1/2 hrs., tiny little bubbles appear and rise up all over the aquarium. They are bigger than microbubbles and smaller than the bubbles produced by a regular airstone. It seems to annoy the corals when it happens, and they close slightly. I've wondered if it is somehow connected the large amount of sunshine this aquarium receives-- it's sitting directly in front of an east-facing window. However, I left the window shade down all day yesterday and still got the bubbles.

Ideas, anyone? Do they make Gas-X for aquariums?

On a totally non aquarium related sidenote, I just made the delightful discovery that dancing with toddlers to Veggietales Ultimate Silly Songs is a very enjoyable morning exercise/wake-up routine! :happy:

Never had a problem with my refratometer sorry. Do you clean it with fresh water after each use? I hear salt can build up on the lens if you dont.

The bubbles are from algae/other photosynthetic critters. It just means they are eating. Increasing the flow to dislodge them would be my suggestion.

1. Your way the U Tube is the drain to the sump running on a siphon principle. If the siphon breaks/stops for whatever reason the display will flood and the sump will get drained. = Bad

2. Or if the pump stops/power outage the siphon will keep going unless you have a siphon break. Draining the display and flooding the sump. Once the power comes back on the return pump will start but the siphon wont. See 1. = Bad

My way the drain is a bulkhead at the water line of the display. So there is no siphon to worry about. Whatever amount of water the pump puts into the display an equal amount will drain back into the sump. It will stop and start with the pump. Assuming nothing blocks the drain there is no way to flood.

The display is above the sump just to make room for the bulkheads and so gravity will help the drain work.

My hubby, Mr. Mechanical Engineer, is working on the problem but sees this as the best cheap, safe solution. He could design something but that will take time & $$$.

Nice proper Weetie!

Your gas problem description sounds like the same thing my 20L tank is going through. Corlz seem happy when the light first comes on but by the time I get home, most have closed and the bubbles appear.

My prop tank is bare bottom also, and I'm running the 150 with a Phoenix bulb as well. But I do have a bit more flow ( the two ac 110 Hob's and three MJ900's on a wave maker).

I'll be tagging along from here, sounds like a neat project for the fall! ( Yeah, like you needed it).

What light do you currently have now? It seems like you have a decent collection of Zoas there!

Thanks, but that's nothing!

Just wait til I get a pic I can post of the unbelievably, insanely amazing colony of TB's I just got!!!

Oh, and it's a 150w MH retro fixture with a 14k Phoenix bulb from illuming.com. I've been very happy with it.

Never had a problem with my refratometer sorry. Do you clean it with fresh water after each use? I hear salt can build up on the lens if you dont.

The bubbles are from algae/other photosynthetic critters. It just means they are eating. Increasing the flow to dislodge them would be my suggestion.

I do clean it very carefully after each use.

I was kind of thinking the bubbles might somehow be connected to phytoplankton, but it was a shot in the dark.

If it's caused by corals and algae photosynthesizing (which I could see happening), why haven't I seen it any of my tanks before?

I've been very discouraged about this prop tank today. I've done everything I can think of get the tank back to where it needs to be, but things were still looking really off today. I feel so frustrated.

**Sigh**

Oh well, tomorrow is another, and hopefully better, day.

A little bit of an update.

One of the reasons that I was so frustrated yesterday is that my blastos started not opening all the way. My blasto's NEVER do that, they're very hardy. I've been trying so hard to figure out what's going on and it was just sort of the last straw in "one of those days".

Maybe I just have aceteminophors messing with my tank! :o;)

One of the things that I've forgotten to mention in this tank is that it has a DIY protein skimmer. I'm actually immensely proud of myself for making it, cause I've never done anything like this before.

I had some miscellaneous slightly cracked and abused skimmer parts that were shipped to me by a member that I bought a "protein skimmer" off of, and I used those. I took a miniflotor collection cup and base, attached a standard plastic cylinder and drilled holes about 1/3 of the way up for the return water, shaved down an overly large wooden airstone and got it going. It actually works amazingly well, although it leans to the side cause I haven't figured out a means of attaching it to the side of the aquarium to get it to stand up.

I really need to get some pics to post of the "Leaning Tower of Lisa"!

Anyway, I'm getting to my point. I had had the skimmer off for a couple of days while I tried to figure everything out, and decided to turn it back on yesterday. I have a gorgeous colony of TB's that are my new pride and joy, and they had been about 3/4 open before I turned the skimmer on. Within 5 mins of my turning it on, they were completely open and looking fat and happy! I saw a positive response in other inhabitants as well. The response was so quick though, that I'm wondering whether it was related more to oxygen saturation of the water rather than ickies being immediately skimmed out.

Everybody looked happier after I turned the skimmer on, and then when the little bubbles showed up at their usual time, the inhabitants looked even more irritated than usual.

Thoughts anyone?

Within 5 mins of my turning it on, they were completely open and looking fat and happy! I saw a positive response in other inhabitants as well. The response was so quick though, that I'm wondering whether it was related more to oxygen saturation of the water rather than ickies being immediately skimmed out.

Everybody looked happier after I turned the skimmer on, and then when the little bubbles showed up at their usual time, the inhabitants looked even more irritated than usual.

i'd think it related to oxygen as well, 5 mins is just too soon for any substantial skimming.

i've heard about the bubbles thing, and people avoiding them, but i'm not sure why bubbles are a problem. it doesn't make sense to me - in nature the upper 3-4 feet of reef crest gets plenty of bubbles from wave action, and i've seen killer tanks with wavemakers and plenty of bubbles... ??? - maybe someone has some solid input about this...

oh, and i give up - what the heck are acetominephors? are they related to tylenol?? I'M SUPPOSED TO BE APPRISED IN ADVANCE OF ANY INSIDE JOKES!! lol

i'd think it related to oxygen as well, 5 mins is just too soon for any substantial skimming.

i've heard about the bubbles thing, and people avoiding them, but i'm not sure why bubbles are a problem. it doesn't make sense to me - in nature the upper 3-4 feet of reef crest gets plenty of bubbles from wave action, and i've seen killer tanks with wavemakers and plenty of bubbles... ??? - maybe someone has some solid input about this...

oh, and i give up - what the heck are acetominephors? are they related to tylenol?? I'M SUPPOSED TO BE APPRISED IN ADVANCE OF ANY INSIDE JOKES!! lol

For some great info on aceteminophors, see here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=135452

As for the bubbles, I really wouldn't care except they definitely seem to be irritating the corals. As soon as they show up, the corals start to close partway.

So what the heck is causing them and how do I get rid of them???? :wacko:

Just a quick mini-update.

The prop tank was looking much better yesterday. Polyp extension on the sps hasn't quite returned to what it used to be, but I think I need to get more flow in there. Zoas and blasto's and other LPS were all opening good.

The mystery bubbles that have been so plagueing me since the set-up of this tank were almost completely gone. When I looked REALLY closely, I was able to see a few here and there, but nothing like they have been. I'm very happy about their lack of an appearance, but I can't figure out what caused their absence. The only thing that was any different was that I had done a 2 gallon water change the night before. But it's not as if I hadn't done any water changes before this, y'know???

I'm wondering if they might be some kind of gas other than oxygen, such as carbon-dioxide or something, but I'm far from an expert in this kind of thing.

Anybody out there have any input on this?

Does the tank get any direct sunlight from the window? (Which relates to...Was there a weather difference when you saw bubbles/didn't see bubbles?)

Does the tank get any direct sunlight from the window? (Which relates to...Was there a weather difference when you saw bubbles/didn't see bubbles?)

It was getting direct sunlight, but I've been keeping the window shade down since 10/29, which means it had been down for 3 days before I noticed the improvement and lessening of bubbles. It still gets indirect sunlight cause there's lots of windows in my kitchen and I refuse to live in a cave. It's definitely very indirect though.

Whaddya think, you're much more of an expert in this area than I am.

It was getting direct sunlight, but I've been keeping the window shade down since 10/29, which means it had been down for 3 days before I noticed the improvement and lessening of bubbles. It still gets indirect sunlight cause there's lots of windows in my kitchen and I refuse to live in a cave. It's definitely very indirect though.

Whaddya think, you're much more of an expert in this area than I am.

:) I think thats your culprit. I had the same issue at my parents house this summer, but I never could figure it out. A few hours after lights came on, bubbles everywhere. The room had a monstrous south-facing window (10 feet tall, 3 feet wide), but the tanks were across the room (still got direct sunlight though). After I moved, I never had an issue with bubbles again.

So...I'd say it's the combination of increased photosynthesis producing more oxygen and pH/temperature swings from the addition of sunlight to the tank lighting decreasing oxygen solubility. The combination produces the oxygen bubbles. Indirect lighting shouldn't be a problem since it's comparatively much less powerful. (Wouldn't call myself an expert by any means...I could still be wrong...)

edit: spelling

Interesting Weetie,

My prop tank has been getting about 2 hours of rather strong sunlight late in the day. Now there are blinds that filter some and the end of the tank faces the window, but the sun really blasts this window this time of year. Thinking more on this I did have a similar situation (bubbles) when I first switched from PC's to the halides. I'll make an effort to be sure the blinds are closed and we shall see what happens. :)

Keep fighting the good fight Weets!

Interesting Weetie,

My prop tank has been getting about 2 hours of rather strong sunlight late in the day. Now there are blinds that filter some and the end of the tank faces the window, but the sun really blasts this window this time of year. Thinking more on this I did have a similar situation (bubbles) when I first switched from PC's to the halides. I'll make an effort to be sure the blinds are closed and we shall see what happens. :)

Keep fighting the good fight Weets!

Hey compadre, nice to see you here!

I was just getting ready to ask you if your tank got sunlight too when I saw your post.

Let me know if you see a lessening of the bubbles within a few days of blocking the sunlight from your tank.

Thanks for stopping in!

For those who missed it elsewhere, here's some pics of the next generation of propagators at the Reef Chicks Coral Kitchen:

DSCF2365.jpg

DSCF2359.jpg

We're raising 'em up right!

I'm toying with the idea of selling just a few things to raise money for the 70w light fixture that I will need to put over this tank after I move it.

Here's some pics:

DSCN1391-C.jpg

DSCN1389-C.jpg

Exact frag, 27+ polyps Fire & Ice

DSCN0838.jpg

RSCN0845.jpg

Same frag under different lighting, 3 blue morphs, 50+ polyps

I know I could put this in classified, but I thought I'd test the waters here first. I have a couple other small things including GSP. If anyone's remotely interested PM me.

Awwwwwwwwwwwww! :)

--Diane

Edit: Obviously this was a response to the post before that last one, but those are some cute zoas, too...

Archived