Pod Your Reef

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed under your weekly water change thread that you use 2.5 cups to get your salinity to 1.025. I use Tropic Marin salt, and only add 2 cups to about 4 gallons of water, and the salinity on my refractometer also reads 1.025. I calibrated the refrac to distilled water when I first got it. The temp is usually around 78 before I change. Half a cup difference seems like a lot... why would this be?

1. Calibrate your refractor with calibration solution

2. You are using a different salt than me

3. I am estimating 4 gallons of water, I really have no idea what it is but a line on the upper part of the bucket.

4. It is estimated at 2.5 cups, again never measured it that precise.

Thank you guys. As promised the two year anniversary update would be huge. Here is the video update that is long over due. I will upload more pictures when I get a chance, currently moving into my house.

Congrats StevieT! Job well done!

I really liked the shot in your video of the clam opening up. That was really cool. Also enjoyed you taunting the clown with that flake. It really wanted it!

Dear Steve.

I have read in the past week ALL of your experience on the RSM130 and I MUST ADMIT that you are a GREAT MIND! :)

Its my first reef aquarium (after 15 years tropical experience).

I got the RSM 130 used by a friend (he went to a bigger custom build) with one aquatronica controller and Retox,Temp,PH and Marine Density electrodes.

(http://www.aquatronica.it/products-1/control-units/acq001)

The RSM is in good shape with lights ,skimmer, heater,circulation - skimmer pumps.

The only problems are one circulation pump has a broken (missing) pin and need replacement

one plastic pin that holds the hood open is missing

and the hood fans are noisy.

I want to start this fully modded with your goodies and I need your help.

New stuff to buy before filling the tank

Tunze cup + mediabasket + polyfilter+chemi pure elite from inTank (I hope that I will get the fancy inTanK sticker for my RSM for free :P ) !!

Tunze 9002 skimmer

Hydor Koralia2 + Hydor Flo

New RS stock Lamps

One reliable heater 150W

My questions are

1. I want to by the Koralia2 pump and I am confused with the wave scenario.

Since I want to use the Wave software of my controller , is it going to work or it will damage the mechanics in time due to the period of start-stops? (I cannot afford the Vortech yet :( but someday :) )

2. Its difficult for me to find the upgraded hood fans,Circulation pump,the missing plastic pin for the hood.

They need a special order Here in Greece and there will be at least a month waiting.Can you sent me some contacts for those parts? Keep in mind that the voltage for the punp is 220AC(The best deal for me is if can you get them for me and sent them together with the inTank products?I know am asking to much but asking does not hurt right?)

3. What chemical products do you use for calcium mg etc...?

4. How do you deal with phos? are purigen and chemi-pure enough for any case or I need something extra in case of algae blooms?

5. I see some guys that they use refugium-small subs inside the furniture.Also I notice the inTank underwater lamp(I assume the transformer is for us 110 volt.Can we European nano reef freaks buy it a 220AC version?) .Is there any space in the back of rsm in order to use it for refugium?does it worth messing with it?

Sorry for my bad English and for the many questions.

I am COMPLETELY NEWBIE on reefs and since my tropical experience is quite good I hate trusting shop owners for my questions...

Thank you in advance

Aris

GREECE

1. I want to by the Koralia2 pump and I am confused with the wave scenario.

Since I want to use the Wave software of my controller , is it going to work or it will damage the mechanics in time due to the period of start-stops? (I cannot afford the Vortech yet :( but someday :) )

Get the 12V DC koralia, it is controllable.

2. Its difficult for me to find the upgraded hood fans,Circulation pump,the missing plastic pin for the hood.

They need a special order Here in Greece and there will be at least a month waiting.Can you sent me some contacts for those parts? Keep in mind that the voltage for the punp is 220AC(The best deal for me is if can you get them for me and sent them together with the inTank products?I know am asking to much but asking does not hurt right?)

Because of the voltage difference it will be neatly impossible for me to get that ( I will look first). Have you tried Red Sea? I am surprised they would sell a tank without parts support.

Other options are to remove the stock pumps and upgrade them to something available in your area. Hood pin can be makeshift with something available. IF not I can get everything but a 220V pump.

3. What chemical products do you use for calcium mg etc...?

I use a two part solution like this

also water changes

4. How do you deal with phos? are purigen and chemi-pure enough for any case or I need something extra in case of algae blooms?

I don't have a phosphate problem. I use RO/DI water and I do not over feed. Chemi Pure Elite has a phosphate remover in it.

5. I see some guys that they use refugium-small subs inside the furniture.Also I notice the inTank underwater lamp(I assume the transformer is for us 110 volt.Can we European nano reef freaks buy it a 220AC version?) .Is there any space in the back of rsm in order to use it for refugium?does it worth messing with it?

I wouldn't worry about it. You do not need a fuge, I do not have one. There is many ways to run a tank. I do not sell a 220V underwater light.

Sorry for my bad English and for the many questions.

Your English is very good! Much better than half the American's on this site

Steve THANK YOU for your answers.

I have made some progress.One local LFS has taken an order for RSM plastic hood Pin, one circulation pump. :) I will have news in 2 days.

But you will save the day if you manage to get 2 hood fans from RSM and sent them with my inTank order.

(PM me on if you can do this favor :) )

I will go for the koralia 2 220Volt due to aquatronica controller 220V "wave scenario" plug output.

I will stick to the C-balance plan (even though in a Greek forum some reefers are arguing regarding C-balance VS ESV B-ionic but i believe they have bigger reefs than nano).

So nothing else needed right?

One more question.Regarding measurements what type should I buy?

I think Salifert testers are great but there are so many parameters to measure.I need more than 100$ for all of them! what is the most critical that I should always measure ?(at least for the first month until the cycle of the LR is finished)

Vodka dose??? LOL does it go with orange juice shaken by circ pumps to have a nice Screwdriver cocktail?

LOL

I definitely give it a try as soon as my RSM matures and fills with life.

Cheers

You can go with C-balance or B-ionic but you only have to dose if you need it. Wait till you have corals and let your test results tell you what and how often to dose. Water changes may be all you need.

API test kits are good and cheap.

If you need the fans you can PM me when you are ready to order and we can set something up.

Do a lot of research before you vodka dose, it is nothing for the beginner or necessary.

Your English is very good! Much better than half the American's on this site

I agree.

Also,

+1 on the Vodka dosing, I really don't think it is necessary.

You need more pics Stevie B)

Archived