Innovative Marine Aquariums

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

Yes. I started with the bag of rubble and removed it a few months later as I researched more about it.

Thanks for the help, I've now removed the rubble I had in my back chamber and placed it in the display. It actually fit in there perfect and improved the look.

I'm getting a little bored of waiting for the cycle on my tank, watching pods play around on my rocks... I want to get some zoas in there... :blink:

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the help, I've now removed the rubble I had in my back chamber and placed it in the display. It actually fit in there perfect and improved the look.

I'm getting a little bored of waiting for the cycle on my tank, watching pods play around on my rocks... I want to get some zoas in there... :blink:

I too tried the bag full of rubble and took it out. I found that it got full of detritus and a lot of live and dead worms caught in the nylon bag. with that being said, i noticed a lot of detritus accumulates back there regardless. wouldnt it be beneficial to have live rock back there if they were fairly large and dense pieces that could maintain both nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria?

Hi Stevie,

I've had my rsm 130 for 2 years now and i have the stock skimmer. At one point it was skimming a little but for the past 3 months its been skimming nothing. Its bone dry but i have no algae and my water parameters are all zeros on the ammonia, nitirite and nitrates so i guess im running skimmerless. i recently removed the stock hood and replaced the lights with a 1X150 watt 14000K HQI sunpod. I was thinking of adding the tunze 9002 because i wanted to eventually get rid of the chaeto and also add some sps...then i started looking at the vortech mp10. If i wanted to just spend money on one item for now would it be better for me to get the tunze skimmer or the vortech?

thanks

wouldnt it be beneficial to have live rock back there if they were fairly large and dense pieces that could maintain both nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria?

The size of the filtration area is so small that that size rock doesn't compare to what you can fit in your display. Compare one rock the size of your fist to the 40 lbs in your display

Hi Stevie,

I've had my rsm 130 for 2 years now and i have the stock skimmer. At one point it was skimming a little but for the past 3 months its been skimming nothing. Its bone dry but i have no algae and my water parameters are all zeros on the ammonia, nitirite and nitrates so i guess im running skimmerless. i recently removed the stock hood and replaced the lights with a 1X150 watt 14000K HQI sunpod. I was thinking of adding the tunze 9002 because i wanted to eventually get rid of the chaeto and also add some sps...then i started looking at the vortech mp10. If i wanted to just spend money on one item for now would it be better for me to get the tunze skimmer or the vortech?

thanks

Probably the vortech. But both are a crap shoot really. If you get the vortech do more water changes with the addition of SPS.

The size of the filtration area is so small that that size rock doesn't compare to what you can fit in your display. Compare one rock the size of your fist to the 40 lbs in your display

Probably the vortech. But both are a crap shoot really. If you get the vortech do more water changes with the addition of SPS.

i just have the stock pumps (one with a hydro flow director) and no other pumps.. perhaps the vortech might be more beneficial than the better performing skimmer huh?

is there a reason you went with the mp20 instead of the mp10?

oh and i noticed you got rid of your flow director.. is it better not to have it with the vortech?

Are you starting to see any color back in your green slimmer yet? Im so bummed it bleached on you. :angry:

Slimmer is coloring back up! So it wasn't the lighting but chemical. All of my LPS and SPS corals look nicer so I was messing around with mag too much. Back on track experiment over :D

Slimmer is coloring back up! So it wasn't the lighting but chemical. All of my LPS and SPS corals look nicer so I was messing around with mag too much. Back on track experiment over :D

simply amazing. bloody good job !!!

About $37 USD, depends on what you order and how heavy it is.

You can add items to your cart, then proceed to checkout. The next screen is the shipping price so you can see that before anything else or processing the order.

When you say you were messing around with mag too much, what is it that you were trying to do? The reason I ask is that I have battled with getting my mag to stay between 1250 and 1350. I think I have finally got it but its closer to 1200 to 1300 but I have to dose twice a week. I just want to make sure that i am not going down the same path you did.

1. I tested after not testing for a long time

2. I was all like WOAH mag is way off

3. I dossed mag

4. Things look like crap

5. I purchase new test kit as I suspect old salifert

6. New test kit says I am ODing mag

7. I went to AA and came to grips with my problem

8. I went back to my normal routine of C-balance and no extra mag

9. All is right in the tank again and I will go back to not testing for a few years since it only causes problems.

Thanks,

Wow it is funny how testing usually causes more problems than not. I too started testing my Mag and found it to be around 900 :o ! I have been dosing 6 tsp of tech-m a week in the middle of my water changes. I actually have noticed a big increase in calcium absorption and polyp extension on my SPS, I think they are growing faster too. But then again it could just be me "seeing what I want to see" as you know so many things in this hobby play with your mind.

I am so glad to hear your slimmer is coloring back up! it was sooo nice and green before. :D

34 total

29 Display

5 Filtration

Take away rock, livestock, sand and it ends up being about .5 gallons ;)

Also, sup bud?!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Steve,

I was wondering, how do you deal with the occasional aiptasia? I am having a minor problem with them in my RSM and I was curious to find out what you do. Thanks!

I have never had them. I had a peppermint shrimp for a while so he probably cleaned any out.

Look into Joe's Juice, lemon juice, boiling hot water or other methods.

Steve Hi.

I finally got your shipment and I must say that I AM VERY IMPRESSED!

Great job with the acrylic! Very professional.Also the package was perfectly secured.

"inTank we trust" :) :)

One little question though.How do you route the skimmer cable in order to clear the path for the media basket?

Here are my latest status of my RSM. Aquascapped by my wife :)

13Kg of the finest LR :):)

And two more pictures.

The RS pump is there to manually shake the bottom to lift the nitritus junk in order to be captured by the floss in the inTank media basket.

No Ammonia yet (day 5) so i closed the skimmer today and the suggestions, from friends at www.marineaquarium.gr Greek forum, are to put 1-2 flake food each day to trigger it.

dsc00498l.jpg

dsc00497fn.jpg

Me and my wife are so excited :D

Steve Hi.

I finally got your shipment and I must say that I AM VERY IMPRESSED!

Great job with the acrylic! Very professional.Also the package was perfectly secured.

"inTank we trust" :):)

One little question though.How do you route the skimmer cable in order to clear the path for the media basket?

Here are my latest status of my RSM. Aquascapped by my wife :)

13Kg of the finest LR :):)

inTank you for your order good to hear you like my packing job and our acrylic work.

The Tunze cable has to go over the top of the media basket to work. Or you can add an extension somewhere safe away from water if you like. I have it over the back side of the media basket, no extension. I just unplug it every 3-5 month when I change the media bags.

It doesn't interfere with filter floss changes.

Was the rock cycled already when you purchased? Did it come from a LFS and not get exposed to air?

inTank you for your order good to hear you like my packing job and our acrylic work.

The Tunze cable has to go over the top of the media basket to work. Or you can add an extension somewhere safe away from water if you like. I have it over the back side of the media basket, no extension. I just unplug it every 3-5 month when I change the media bags.

It doesn't interfere with filter floss changes.

Was the rock cycled already when you purchased? Did it come from a LFS and not get exposed to air?

Thanks for the cable cable tip.

Yes it came from a LFS , packet in a sealed foam box.I got it in the tank after 1 hour...

Half of the rock was fully cured (6 month in LFS tanks) and the other half was 4 days in LFS tank.

Have a great week :)

Archived