Top Shelf Aquatics

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience

StevieT

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve and Needreefunds thanks for the cable tips.

regarding the water and LR status my NO3 levels are HI.

From what I see with the salifert tests (purple color indication) its close to 100ppm! (aprox 80)

I am waiting an EXPERT tomorrow who is going to bring me some caeto ,and I am going to do 20 to 30% water change every 10 days.

Some green algae is starting to show on the rocks.I am going to measure also Phosphate tonight (I just bought a salifert).

So the LR was cured from LFS from what I can tell thats why I did not had any ammonia & NO2 spikes.

Time will tell :)

Thanks

100 seems a bit high even for a new tank. If the tank is not going to cycle because the rock is cured then you can do a water change. Get that number way way way down before stocking.

StevieT Note for record keeping: Changed MH bulb this morning. Phoenix 14K, what a difference from the Giesemann 14.5K. Let the burn in begin.

100 seems a bit high even for a new tank. If the tank is not going to cycle because the rock is cured then you can do a water change. Get that number way way way down before stocking.

So guys I did put the chaeto in the tank,did some water changes but the nitrate thing was FALSE ALARM :angry:

I was measuring with the salifert tests but I was looking the test vial by side (/10) !!!

SO I guess my nitrates level is about 8 to 10...

My other measurements are

No2=0, NH4=0, CA=430, dKh=11.8, PH=8.0, Mg=1290

Some brown and some green hairy algae is starting to bloom but the 2 Turbo , 4 strobus snails and 3 stomatela's are doing magnificent job.

Merry Christmass!!! :D

My RSM EXPLODED!!!!!!

Almost a year to the date and at 3am my RSM cracked from the frontside top completely around the bowed corner clear to the bottom of the tank!

I was just reading back on some of the old stuff and I completely missed this post. This exact thing happened to me. Luckily I was sitting on the couch when it happened. I heard a loud 'tink' sound and looked over in awe to see water shooting out from the curved corner. The tank had cracked from the frontside top and then shot towards the curved corner. Luckily I was home and reacted faster than anything and grabbed a garbage can to let the water shoot into as someone ran to grab towels.

This happened on a Saturday and I made sure to get in touch with them on Monday. I had a new tank on Thursday. I lost some livestock but it could have been worse.

I was just reading back on some of the old stuff and I completely missed this post. This exact thing happened to me. Luckily I was sitting on the couch when it happened. I heard a loud 'tink' sound and looked over in awe to see water shooting out from the curved corner. The tank had cracked from the frontside top and then shot towards the curved corner. Luckily I was home and reacted faster than anything and grabbed a garbage can to let the water shoot into as someone ran to grab towels.

This happened on a Saturday and I made sure to get in touch with them on Monday. I had a new tank on Thursday. I lost some livestock but it could have been worse.

Wow nice save.

Do you think it was a manufacture defect ?

Wow nice save.

Do you think it was a manufacture defect ?

I didn't rip off the rim at the top to see if there were any noticeable defect in the glass at the top. I forgot to mention the tank had been up and running for 6 months. My personal belief is that it was a defect in the glass. At least the second one has been going strong for maybe a year and a half or so (crosses fingers).

Pictures have proved to refresh my memory..it was the side top to the corner.

post-39283-1261980850_thumb.jpg

Well it was 08 :)

I'm much more of a reader as I consider myself a novice to many of you. I can usually search or read through posts to find answers. This thread has been awesome and I've modeled some of my tank after things you have done. I have the Tunze (kinda, I ordered a new one last night as my current one has issues), just ordered my second set of your media basket and Tunze cup and I have the same light.

I attached a picture above of the cracked tank.

a drr, looked at the day not year. Either way not a novice if you learned the search function

Bummer, I hate seeing those pictures. It is pretty rare but that is where they all crack.

inTank you for your order. Good to hear Red Sea sent a new tank.

Guys I also have the same light fixture (got it off a fellow reefer here).

Loving it so far becides the fact that I need to order a new bumb, as the stock one is causing crazy algae on the glass. Stevie hows the phoenix treating you ?

Let me ask you guys this......

As I got the fixture used, I noticed that the fan only comes on when the antics are on.

And when its on I guess its loud enough to notice. Is this normal ?

callmesaul8889

hey stevie i was just wandering around and saw that you have a black occy, im planning on getting one to go with my orange occy, but I have to get it ordered into my LFS, and I keep seeing them with orangish faces. How often do they have orangish faces? i think they look like butt unless theyre all black lol

just wondering, thanks

I like the new bulb. Much more blue than my last 14.5K. 100 hour burn in will be when I return to the office tomorrow.

My fan comes on when the MH turns on, that is what it is for. It is not on when the actinics are only on. It makes a fan noise, I wouldn't call it loud since a reef tank with that much light needs cooling. Loud is judged differently but yes I can hear it.

callmesaul8889
Guys I also have the same light fixture (got it off a fellow reefer here).

Loving it so far becides the fact that I need to order a new bumb, as the stock one is causing crazy algae on the glass. Stevie hows the phoenix treating you ?

Let me ask you guys this......

As I got the fixture used, I noticed that the fan only comes on when the antics are on.

And when its on I guess its loud enough to notice. Is this normal ?

not sure what fixture u guys are talking about

but i have a sundial fixture, and it does the same thing, actinic = fans, anything else leaves the fans off

maybe because people dont usually turn on the 10000k without the actinics? i dunno

I like the new bulb. Much more blue than my last 14.5K. 100 hour burn in will be when I return to the office tomorrow.

My fan comes on when the MH turns on, that is what it is for. It is not on when the actinics are only on. It makes a fan noise, I wouldn't call it loud since a reef tank with that much light needs cooling. Loud is judged differently but yes I can hear it.

Thats what i figured.

I found it strange why the fan only comes on with antics only and not when the MH is on. I'll have to open the fixture up and see whats going on.

Archived