inTank Media Baskets

[Cadlights 34G] No turning back now!

Rodney013

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rodney tank looks awesome. You've managed to get alot of corals in there. Keep up the good work. Its an inspiration to all the other CAD owners out there for sure.

Jason

Thanks Jason, I have really enjoyed this experience and I am amazed each day that I see something different in my tank. I am not sure how many more corals I can fit though, must be time to look into the 39G. :D I am very fortunate that it sits right next to my desk at work and I am able to view it more than I should. :P

your my personal hero B)

Thanks but to be honest, without this forum and a great LFS I could not have completed half of what I have done.

I should have thought this out long before now.....but here goes. I am not happy at all with my aquascaping. I am satisfied with my coral selection and colors, but not with my rock work. I do not have enough exposed sand bed and too many dead areas behind my rocks. Most of my LR is too big for my tank and I would like to take it out and break it up. I am certain it has been done before but I am not sure I have seen any threads about doing such. Some of my questions are.......

1) How long can my LR be out of water before really bad die off occurs?

2) How long can corals sit in a bucket with or without circulation?

And finally......

3) Should I just leave well enough alone and think about starting another tank?

If you want the acans to grow faster feed them more often.

With the aquascape have fun and bring the hammer out. I would do a WC too, because all the detritus is going to come out of underneath the rocks. I would also put a powerhead in the bucket with the corals. You might also get a spike in your params.

I should have thought this out long before now.....but here goes. I am not happy at all with my aquascaping. I am satisfied with my coral selection and colors, but not with my rock work. I do not have enough exposed sand bed and too many dead areas behind my rocks. Most of my LR is too big for my tank and I would like to take it out and break it up. I am certain it has been done before but I am not sure I have seen any threads about doing such. Some of my questions are.......

1) How long can my LR be out of water before really bad die off occurs?

2) How long can corals sit in a bucket with or without circulation?

And finally......

3) Should I just leave well enough alone and think about starting another tank?

Id go with number 3.Im actually going to start another tank because i want to reaquascape as well as some more space.

Corals will last for a while if you add a powerhead and supplement it with some sort of lighting.

Live Rock will last a day or 2 if you keep it wet

• 2 weeks later...
Tank and stand.....

IMG_1125.jpg

I would watch the center of your tank....looks like its bowing beneath it.

I have same set up and one day was eyeballing some critters in the tank real close and noticed a 1/8 gap in the center at the bottom where it met the oak desk. I broke it down and beefed up the desk it was on, but it does put a lot of point stress on the glass. That tank actually popped about a week later.

I would watch the center of your tank....looks like its bowing beneath it.

I have same set up and one day was eyeballing some critters in the tank real close and noticed a 1/8 gap in the center at the bottom where it met the oak desk. I broke it down and beefed up the desk it was on, but it does put a lot of point stress on the glass. That tank actually popped about a week later.

Thanks Bilge Rat.......Sorry to hear about your tank letting go.....before I ever installed the tank I fabricated a steel support brace for the center of the cabinet. I hope this will prevent me from having any tank problems.

• 2 months later...

Well...it has been a while since I last posted.

Rescued this Duncan from my sons tank...

DSC_0059.jpg

I like this fella...

DSC_0063.jpg

Houston, we have a problem...

DSC_0064.jpg

New clam...

DSC_0067.jpg

Lastes FTS...

DSC_006111.jpg

Very nice updates Rodney. Glad to see everything doing so well.Let me know how the jawfish works out i hear so many mixed reviews about that fish.

Very nice updates Rodney. Glad to see everything doing so well.Let me know how the jawfish works out i hear so many mixed reviews about that fish.

Hey Rehype...Good to hear from you. The jawfish certainly did a number on my sand bed but now that he jumped to the back compartments I just hope I can save him. The first couple of weeks I seldom got a look at him as he stayed hidden.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got in my new Tunze 9002 skimmer and Coralife cooling fan. I installed both yesterday and WOW. My tank is only a few feet from my desk and I spend a lot of time on the phone. I got use to the loud stock skimmer and fan, but after installing these new items it became apparent almost immediately that I should have done this a LONG time ago. The tank is not silent, but the difference is VERY noticeable and makes the tank much more enjoyable.

I just got in my new Tunze 9002 skimmer and Coralife cooling fan. I installed both yesterday and WOW. My tank is only a few feet from my desk and I spend a lot of time on the phone. I got use to the loud stock skimmer and fan, but after installing these new items it became apparent almost immediately that I should have done this a LONG time ago. The tank is not silent, but the difference is VERY noticeable and makes the tank much more enjoyable.

The 34g CAD had the old Finnex skimmer (they used the same one then) but a silencer tube for the air intake wasn't provided with it? Mine is virtually unnoticeable in terms of noise because of that silencer... The 9002 is indeed nice though, I dropped one into my new custom 10g AIO tank last weekend and it's great!

The 34g CAD had the old Finnex skimmer (they used the same one then) but a silencer tube for the air intake wasn't provided with it? Mine is virtually unnoticeable in terms of noise because of that silencer... The 9002 is indeed nice though, I dropped one into my new custom 10g AIO tank last weekend and it's great!

I did not know that about the silencer tube Phixion. Another good thing is how much room the Tunze frees up due to its much smaller size.

• 1 month later...

I knew it would happen sooner or later...the dreaded tank crash. I guess it would be considered a mini crash as I only lost a few corals and no fish. My biggest problem was with my RBTA as I tried my best to nurse her back to health. Her death poluted my entire tank and it has taken me a couple of weeks of constant water changes to get my tank back to somewhat normal. It all started with the one word and action most reefers seem to dread....VACATION...need I say more?

To look on the bright side, I never liked my aquascaping and this gave me a good oportunity to make some significant changes. As soon as the tank gets back to looking better I will take some new pictures post them. Also, now I have some new space for new corals.

I knew it would happen sooner or later...the dreaded tank crash. I guess it would be considered a mini crash as I only lost a few corals and no fish. My biggest problem was with my RBTA as I tried my best to nurse her back to health. Her death poluted my entire tank and it has taken me a couple of weeks of constant water changes to get my tank back to somewhat normal. It all started with the one word and action most reefers seem to dread....VACATION...need I say more?

To look on the bright side, I never liked my aquascaping and this gave me a good oportunity to make some significant changes. As soon as the tank gets back to looking better I will take some new pictures post them. Also, now I have some new space for new corals.

Sorry to hear that Rod. i had the same thing happen when i went on vacation...Well im sure the new aquascape and livestock will look even better than before.

Sorry to hear that Rod. i had the same thing happen when i went on vacation...Well im sure the new aquascape and livestock will look even better than before.

Hey Rehype congrats on your new tank...I am following along. :D

Wow, sorry to hear of the loss and crash Rodney. :( Those are never fun. It's one of the reasons that have kept me from getting a BTA... Fortunately an event like this always has a silver lining of some sort, for you it was the scaping. :) Good luck on the recovery and comeback!

Archived