Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

[Cadlights 34G] No turning back now!

Rodney013

Yes with Seachem I need to dose Mg and the Ca is pretty high. When my current bucket is done I will try some Reefers Best Salt which one of the LFS is now carrying. A bit more expensive but with a small tank not such a big deal.

Just added a Vortech20 powerhead yesterday. Hopefully that gives me the flow I have been needing.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes with Seachem I need to dose Mg and the Ca is pretty high. When my current bucket is done I will try some Reefers Best Salt which one of the LFS is now carrying. A bit more expensive but with a small tank not such a big deal.

Just added a Vortech20 powerhead yesterday. Hopefully that gives me the flow I have been needing.

Hey Oscar...keep me updated on how you like the Vortech.

Good news to report...It has only been a week and a couple of water changes since I started using the new salt and the difference in my tank is amazing. I am now getting lots of purple coralline growth which I have never seen in my tank and my corals are coloring up and extending more than they ever have. At this point I could not be more pleased with the results.

I was always curious if corals that have lost their color and bleached out could color back up and I have now seen first hand that they can. My tank is looking better than it has for a long time and I am a now a big believer in the Tropic Marin Pro salt.

My tank is looking better than it has for a long time and I am a now a big believer in the Tropic Marin Pro salt.

How many water changes until you noticed a difference?

I have some zoos that are washed out as well and am looking for a mechanism to get their colour back. I have been battling hair algae the last few months. Now that I have installed a phosban reactor, improved flow and some more snails I think I am getting a handle on the phosphate problem. I am blaming this problem on my zoos browning.

How many water changes until you noticed a difference?

I have some zoos that are washed out as well and am looking for a mechanism to get their colour back. I have been battling hair algae the last few months. Now that I have installed a phosban reactor, improved flow and some more snails I think I am getting a handle on the phosphate problem. I am blaming this problem on my zoos browning.

I noticed more extension within a couple of hours of my first water change. As for coloring up, I notice a big difference within a 3 or 4 days and even more after my second water change.

I ordered a Current USA Outer Orbit HQI/T5 light fixture from my LFS and hope to pick it up this weekend. For some reason new bulbs would only last a couple of months in my original fixture so in the long run this should save me some money (I hope). Not sure if it was just bad luck on the bulbs or if my ballast had something to do with it?

I will try and post some before and after pictures this weekend! :D

I noticed more extension within a couple of hours of my first water change. As for coloring up, I notice a big difference within a 3 or 4 days and even more after my second water change.

You may want to try one drop of Iodine per week- that really helped my zoos get their color back- just a suggestion ;)

You may want to try one drop of Iodine per week- that really helped my zoos get their color back- just a suggestion ;)

Thanks, I may give that a try. Do you test for Iodine and if so what is your level at?

Interesting solution. I have zoos that have maintained the colour of their "eye" but the exterior fringe is very brown. Is this what your iodine supplement resolved? Which product?

I installed my new Current Outer Orbit Light this weekend. You cannot really tell from these pics but the difference is incredible.

IMG_3118.jpg

IMG_3158.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg

Let me know what you think? :)

great pics!

So you went from the cadlights light to the outer orbit? What are the dimensions?

It is 24" x 15" x 4" and covers the entire tank. I would not be able to use the outer orbit if I still had the stock skimmer.

I wish I could take some better pics to show the difference between the 15K XM and 14K Phoenix HQI's. From the pictures I have taken I cannot see much difference at all, but in person it is very obvious. IMO the 14K Phoenix is much better and has given me better color and growth.

It has been over a year now since I first set up my tank. Thought I would share some of my opinions of the last 13 months for what it is worth.

EQUIPMENT I HAVE PURCHASED AND USED

CAD 34G Tank A+

CAD Skimmer C

CAD Lights C+

CAD Pumps B

CAD Customer Service A+

Reef Keeper 2 A++++ (Worth every penny)

JBJ ATO A+

Tunze Skimmer 9002 A+

Seachem Salt F

Tropic Marin Pro Salt A+

Outer Orbit HQI / T5 Light A

Marine Depot Refractometer A

Salifet Test Kits B

API Test Kits C+

Koralia #1 Power Head B

Tunze 6025 Power Head B+

Maxijet 900 Power Head A+

Hydor Seltz L35 Pump B

Eheim Heater A

ONLINE VENDORS I HAVE USED

Marine Depot A

Ocean Reflections A+

Zoafrag B+

That Pet Place A

Thanks for tagging along... :D

Would you have been able to mount the light on the tank or only hang it?

Becasue of the skimmer cup I could only hang the light. The mounting feet that came with the light would have been too short by about 1.500".

I installed my new Current Outer Orbit Light this weekend. You cannot really tell from these pics but the difference is incredible.

Let me know what you think? :)

That new lighting really makes the colours pop. I am rethinking the stock bulbs that came with the 39G Cad. The blue LEDs really bring out the flourescence of the corals. When the hallide and the actinics come on then an awful lot of the colours are washed out.

From the Orbit web page it looks like you unit has the 10,000K hallide and a pair of 420/460 Actinics?

I will be removing my light fixture today to check on the light fequency.

That new lighting really makes the colours pop. I am rethinking the stock bulbs that came with the 39G Cad. The blue LEDs really bring out the flourescence of the corals. When the hallide and the actinics come on then an awful lot of the colours are washed out.

From the Orbit web page it looks like you unit has the 10,000K hallide and a pair of 420/460 Actinics?

I will be removing my light fixture today to check on the light fequency.

I replaced the 10K with a 14K Phoenix bulb and left the stock 420/460 actinics in the Orbit. The LED's only come on at night and really do make the tank look very nice for night time viewing.

BOOOOOOO.........

All is going well...I love the new light fixture and the new salt.

I was not able to get a pic but this morning a single polyp broke off one of my zoa frags and fell right into the mouth of this fella...he swallowed about 2/3 of the polyp before he spit it back out.

IMG_3253.jpg

FTS

IMG_3257.jpg

Happy Halloween! :D

I really love the aquascape! I have the same fixture as you and love it. I replaced my stock bulb with a 12k reeflux.

Question. How high is the fixture from your sandbed and also from your water surface?

Your tank is gorgeous! I really want MH!!!!!

Thanks Lizzie....Your tank wonderful as well. MH's put off a lot of heat but I do love the look and growth they provide.

I really love the aquascape! I have the same fixture as you and love it. I replaced my stock bulb with a 12k reeflux.

Question. How high is the fixture from your sandbed and also from your water surface?

How do you like the 12K reeflux bulb? I tried the 15K XM and did not care for it at all.

Because of my skimmer cup my light is 7 inches from the water surfact and 19 inches from the sandbed.

Nice tank, Your monti cap has an awesome spiral growth.

When I first got the monti cap it grew like crazy but I almost lost it when I started having water problems. It bleached out almost completely but has recovered very well. With the new salt and light it is deeper red than ever before. Funny thing is it is the most difficult coral to get a good picture of to show its real color. Being so close to the light all my pictures of it just look horrible. My picture taking skills need LOTS of improvement.

Archived