inTank Media Baskets

[Cadlights 34G] No turning back now!

Rodney013

Well....here goes.....

My Cadlights 34G has been shipped and will arrive Tuesday 09-04-07. Below is the standard equipment that it will have:

*150w 14,000k with 2 x 24w Actinics supplements

* (2) LED 2 watt moonlights.

*Full size refugium on back. Does not include refugium substrate.

*Comes in black Cell-Cast acrylic background (oscillator retrun nozzle optional).

* Refugium Dimensions 23" x 5.5" x 18.5"

* Flip-up hinged tank mounts.

* Separate T5 light strip for refugium.

* Signature Polished and mitred edges with Extra thick 7mm thick glass.

* Seamless curved front panel. * Super slim sleek profile Light design at only 2.5" height.

* 3 separate circuits and switches for complete automatic and manual control for each T5 bulb, LED moonlights and Halide lights. Easily compatible with all kinds of timers.

*NOW COMES WITH OUR 60G FULL SIZED PROEIN SKIMMER AND SLOTS FOR THE COOLING UNIT AND DROP-IN U.V. STERILIZER. *Glass Canopy comes standard.

In addition to the above here is what I have already purchased: (Comments and opinions please)

Ordered from Cadlights

Matching Stand

Wavemaking return nozzle

Additional Cooling Fan for fuge

Pura filtration pads

Ordered from Nanotuners

Reefkeeper 2

JBJ ATO and Via Aqua 90 Pump

100W Finnex Heater

Refractometer

Below is what my plans are but I really need any comments and opinions since I have not purchased or made final decisions on this list:

Ordred from Marine Depot

Koralia 1 or Tunze 6025 for additional flow

Testing kit of some type, not sure which brand at this time

Most likely will get from LFS

RO/DI fresh and salt water from LFS

LR from LFS, most porous and best looking I can find

LS from LFS, most likely Fiji pink 1 to 2 inch base

LR, LS and cheato will be in my fuge

What have I forgotten to get started?

P.S. Future post will not be this long....just wanted to get the particulars out of the way!

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the club! Not sure what your experience is with saltwater, but it looks like you just dropped a HUGE chunk of cash to get everything started!

Not sure what your preference is as far as LR goes, but check out reefscience.com. It's fairly priced, even with next day shipping, and for me atleast turned out to be much cheaper/better rocks than my lfs. It's indonesian LR, with TONS of macro (if that's your thing) and life on it. Fully cured, and ready to go. The best part is that they don't use air freight shipping like TBS, so it comes straight to your door.

I personally use salifert test kits.

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the club! Not sure what your experience is with saltwater, but it looks like you just dropped a HUGE chunk of cash to get everything started!

Not sure what your preference is as far as LR goes, but check out reefscience.com. It's fairly priced, even with next day shipping, and for me atleast turned out to be much cheaper/better rocks than my lfs. It's indonesian LR, with TONS of macro (if that's your thing) and life on it. Fully cured, and ready to go. The best part is that they don't use air freight shipping like TBS, so it comes straight to your door.

I personally use salifert test kits.

I kept Cichlids for years but am completely new to saltwater. I have been reading all the forums and asking tons of questions at some of the LFS for the past few months and decided to take plunge. I will be keeping the tank at my office since that seems to be where I spend most of my time.

I knew it would not be cheap going into it, but I hope spending a little up front will save me time and money in the long run? *crossing fingers*

I just checked out reefscience and their rock does look good. How much did you purchase?

Thanks for the welcome!

WOW, you're definitely ready to set up a VERY NICE tank there Rodney! B)

Phixion.....I am a little nervous about getting started, but I think I am ready. I am still undecided about where to get my LR. I am pretty sure I am going to get at a LFS, that way I can hand pick it. I am a little skeptical about buying LR online.

Do you think a Tunze 6025 along with my stock pump will be too much for this tank?

I have read your threads and they have been very helpful in some of my decisions.

I kept Cichlids for years but am completely new to saltwater. I have been reading all the forums and asking tons of questions at some of the LFS for the past few months and decided to take plunge. I will be keeping the tank at my office since that seems to be where I spend most of my time.

I knew it would not be cheap going into it, but I hope spending a little up front will save me time and money in the long run? *crossing fingers*

I just checked out reefscience and their rock does look good. How much did you purchase?

Thanks for the welcome!

If I rememeber correctly, I bought 40lbs of LR, and 10 lbs of rubble for the overflow chamber. You might even consider more rubble depending on how high you want it back there.

I'm also using 40lbs of fiji pink which results in about a 2-2.5" sandbed.

If I rememeber correctly, I bought 40lbs of LR, and 10 lbs of rubble for the overflow chamber. You might even consider more rubble depending on how high you want it back there.

I'm also using 40lbs of fiji pink which results in about a 2-2.5" sandbed.

I emailed them and they responded right back. I might end up giving them a try.

Just added to my purchased items......

Tunze 6025

Salifert Ammonia, Calcium, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH test kits

Piranha Float Algae Magnet

Should arrive next week.....ordered from Marine Depot

Phixion.....I am a little nervous about getting started, but I think I am ready. I am still undecided about where to get my LR. I am pretty sure I am going to get at a LFS, that way I can hand pick it. I am a little skeptical about buying LR online.

Do you think a Tunze 6025 along with my stock pump will be too much for this tank?

I have read your threads and they have been very helpful in some of my decisions.

I initally stocked my tank with 26lbs of rock that I hand picked at an LFS. I'd honestly go with an LFS especially if you plan on getting more than 30lbs of rock, mainly because shipping will make it rather expensive. Plus as you said, the advantage of hand picking it yourself. :)

I initally stocked my tank with 26lbs of rock that I hand picked at an LFS. I'd honestly go with an LFS especially if you plan on getting more than 30lbs of rock, mainly because shipping will make it rather expensive. Plus as you said, the advantage of hand picking it yourself. :)

There are a couple of pretty good LFS for me to pick from, so I am pretty sure that is what I will do.

There are a couple of pretty good LFS for me to pick from, so I am pretty sure that is what I will do.

Find out how long the rock has been in the tanks it's been in. That'll pretty much tell you how much (if any) cycling time the rock will need. I pulled mine from vats where it had been sitting for a good 2 months, so it was fully cured and cycled when I took it home. Just drop and play! :)

Find out how long the rock has been in the tanks it's been in. That'll pretty much tell you how much (if any) cycling time the rock will need. I pulled mine from vats where it had been sitting for a good 2 months, so it was fully cured and cycled when I took it home. Just drop and play! :)

Great advice, I will find out from a couple of different LFS this weekend. They are all about the same price and it all looks pretty much the same, so that is how I might end up making my decision on where to purchase.

Nice! I've got a CAD Light 34 gallon - check out my pics...Love the tank, but Im ready to purchase the zeroedge...Selling my CAD Light.... anyone interested? make me an offer...

I hope you are pleased with your Cadlights? Which one did you purchase?

So far I love it. Had a few minor issues. But customer service so far has been really good and nothing I would seriously complain about. Besides if you are too impatient prob not the best hobby to get into. I bought the 34g signature series. Looks wise and for the set up that I wanted. Nothing beat it. Could have been cheaper, but I would rather pay for what I want. Then be sorta satisfied with something cheaper. I think it's great and worth it.

I didn't care for the stand they make though. Thought it was too plain for such a nice tank especially for the price of the stand. Besides I was always annoyed by my other tank stands. I always needed to put stuff down and there was nothing right by it but the top of the tank. Not to mention I have three dogs two of them being a St. Bernard and Weimaraner. Top heavy narrow furniture is norm a bad idea. So I went and found an antique solid maple sideboard with cabinets and drawers. That complimented and was super solid. Not to mention paid a hundred bucks for it since the place was having a moving sale. The center even bumps out like the bow of the tank. Plus I have the space on both sides.

I have only just started the aquascaping and such. But still find myself just looking at it. I like glass tanks and have had some really nice tanks. I think this one blows them away. It looks sleek and advanced not like it could be tweaked and be a tank from 1970 on. Yep, I like it. :D

So far I love it. Had a few minor issues. But customer service so far has been really good and nothing I would seriously complain about. Besides if you are too impatient prob not the best hobby to get into. I bought the 34g signature series. Looks wise and for the set up that I wanted. Nothing beat it. Could have been cheaper, but I would rather pay for what I want. Then be sorta satisfied with something cheaper. I think it's great and worth it.

I didn't care for the stand they make though. Thought it was too plain for such a nice tank especially for the price of the stand. Besides I was always annoyed by my other tank stands. I always needed to put stuff down and there was nothing right by it but the top of the tank. Not to mention I have three dogs two of them being a St. Bernard and Weimaraner. Top heavy narrow furniture is norm a bad idea. So I went and found an antique solid maple sideboard with cabinets and drawers. That complimented and was super solid. Not to mention paid a hundred bucks for it since the place was having a moving sale. The center even bumps out like the bow of the tank. Plus I have the space on both sides.

I have only just started the aquascaping and such. But still find myself just looking at it. I like glass tanks and have had some really nice tanks. I think this one blows them away. It looks sleek and advanced not like it could be tweaked and be a tank from 1970 on. Yep, I like it. :D

Glad to hear you are pleased with your Cadlights. I did not purchase the Signature model, but purchased everything but the UV sterilizer. When Eddie called me with my tracking number he said he tossed in the UV at no charge, so with everything I purchased I think I did end up getting the Signature model. I was afraid of the stand and you have confirmed my fears. My tank is going to be in my office at work so I don't have to worry about kids or other pets. I hope it will work out even though I am not crazy about the color.

I would love to see some pictures if you can take some?

damn it ron your getting yours first??!?!??! BOOOOO!! i get mine on wednesday!!

i also ordered

Ocean Master Test Kit

Item #: 198308 1 $34.99

Maxi-Jet 600 Powerhead - 160 gph

Item #: 198187 1 $12.69

Mini-Therm Heater - 50W - 6 in.

Item #: 215108 1 $12.99

Sybon Refractometer with Automatic Temperature Compensation

Item #: 199289 1 $43.99

Total Items:

$104.66

the mini heater and maxi jet is for my water change only! and ill also use the maxi jet for Automatic TOP off pump.

ordered that from petplace found them to be cheapest and have alot of items.. they price match with no question as well. I was going to buy items from oceansreflection because they have great service but they dont have a refractometer thats cheap. i just hope this one is good. im sure its 10x better than a hydrometer all day though.

next step is

Salt, LS, LR, 3 powerheads!! and PH METER!!

Just got back from a few of my LFS's and kinda like the look of the Caribsea Indo Black Live Sand. Has anybody used this before and what are the pros and cons us using this?

Just got back from a few of my LFS's and kinda like the look of the Caribsea Indo Black Live Sand. Has anybody used this before and what are the pros and cons us using this?

I have about 30lbs. of the Indo-Pacific sand in my tank and I love it, very nice color to it. B)

Archived