Coral Vue Hydros

[Cadlights 34G] No turning back now!

Rodney013

I spoke w/ Eddie today and got things square away. he was very responsive with the crack, but puzzled--as I was--'cause it wasn't a shipping damage.

I am really sorry for the flood. It shouldn't even happened in the first place. And that one statement is still troubling to me. He doesn't even know why it caused it? Hmmm, how long is he going to wait for more disaster before he is straightening up this kind of problem. Thank god, you didn't have any serious problem but it could've caused way more damages.

Goodluck with your new tank. I hope you don't have same issue.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 25

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

pH 8.1

Ca 480

Temp 78.5F – 79.5

Salinity 1.023

dKH 13.1

Been a while since my last post as work has been keeping me very busy. I must say I love having this tank only a few feet from my desk. :D

I sure have hated reading about all the problems CAD seems to be having with their product. I feel lucky that mine has been problem free to this point. Guess we will find out soon if CAD is in this for the long haul. I sure hope they are, they seem to have a good looking product that needs a lot more attention to detail. Outsourcing is going to be the death of quality and manufacturing in this country yet. Don't have time to get into that right now but on to my progress.

I am still a little baffled by my tank cycle. I was all prepared for the spikes, diatoms, GHA and such but never really had any of that at all. My LR was well cured and my water quality seems to have stayed great. As you can see my dKH is on the high side and I am not sure how to get it down. My water is on the cloudy side, perhaps a bacterial bloom of some sort? I put a bag of carbon in chamber 1 yesterday and it seems to have cleared up my water some, but still has a ways to go. Any advice on these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a few pics of my new additions:

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

Rodney, your specs look good. dkH is slightly high, but I wouldn't worry too much. I've always read that btween 9 and 12 is what you'd want. I don't think blooms will always happen, but always best to go by the numbers rather than the blooms anyways. ;) Good luck and keep us updated!

very excited just looking at your tank Rodney. i been reading this thread for a few days now and lots of questions that you had was very simlar to mine, so thanks for putting up a thread like this for us new reefers.

i also bought the 34G Signature package just like yours. i cant wait to set it up. i dont know if i am going to make it a reef tank first though. I HAVE NO IDEA it took this much knowledge, which seems kinda fun to research about. i just dont have enough time and just wanted a complete sytem that came with everything. i think i will just start with just fish for now and slowly move into the reef as i get more experienced.

so starting with fish, do i need to get so much rock?

also, do i need to use RO water?

does the brand of salt make any difference?

i really like to have some colors in the bottom of my tank, but i was told that the colored stuff is usually for freshwater.

maybe not yet to this stage but is there any corals i can put in a predominantly fish tank?

i am looking to get some tangs, angelfish, lobsters/crabs and just anything very interesting and COLORFUL.

Day 27

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

pH 8.1

Ca 460

Temp 78.5F – 79.5

Salinity 1.023

dKH 12.8

My dKH is coming down and everything else seems to be holding pretty steady. No signs of any algae to this point and I am certainly glad about that. My CUC is doing well as it my clown and cleaner shrimp which molted yesterday.

Still not satisfied with my aquascaping and thinking I am going to have to break up some of the LR in my tank to give me some flexibility. If I do a water change and break the LR in a bucket of the old water I should be okay, right?

I really need some type of center piece coral for my tank but have not decided on what to get yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am really growing fond of some type of frogspawn and brain coral. I don’t necessarily want these as my main attraction but do like the way some of them look.

I am very pleased with my CAD tank so far. I have been reading a lot bad threads over the last couple of weeks but I must say I have had nothing but a pleasant experience with the tank and Eddie at Cadlights. Based on my experience with Cadlights, I would not hesitate recommending this tank anyone.

Thanks for reading my thread and happy reefing. I will post more pics when something exciting happens.

i just received my Cadlights 34G and am very excited to bring it home and set it up! it was supposed to come in tomorrow, but for some reason it came in a day earlier. WOW this thing is heavy, and i have to lift it back home by myself.

i also read a bad thread about them about shipping and the lighting issues. i have to say as far as for what i see now from ordering the tank last Wed. to getting it intact and in good condition,i also have nothing to give except positive feedback. the packing is probably the best i have seen. hopefully i can also be as happy with my tank as you and so many other cadlight tank users have been.

the first thing i did was to take the light apart and test run it. it turns on fine so far for about 30 minutes already (i think i have to shut it off soon as people around my office think i am crazy because this thing is bright). the tank looks beautiful, clean and very well built, all the connections are put together already.

anyway gonna finish up early at work so i can run to the aquarium store to get some sand, rock and seawaters or maybe i will just set it up right here in the office :D

Rodney, what did you decide with mounting the RK II control, I was thinking about cutting it into the cabinet as well to show it off, but I am still waiting for mine.

Rodney, what did you decide with mounting the RK II control, I was thinking about cutting it into the cabinet as well to show it off, but I am still waiting for mine.

I have lots of cleaning up to do yet like bundling the wires and streamlining the overall look. To be honest I thought would already have all that completed but my urge to go ahead and add fish and corals has kind of put me back a little. :D

My Reefkeeper 2 is still just hanging above the water level on the wall off to the side. I wanted to wait and see how much water I spilled during water changes and such before I decided to mount it in my cabinet door and I am glad did. I am thinking about making some type of adjustable are to mount it on so I can keep it above the water level. I would hate to short it out and ruin it as it is the best piece of equipment I have purchased so far. I could not keep up manually with what all the Reefkeeper 2 does.

When I come up with my solution I will take some pics and get them posted.

im surprised all your tanks didnt explode!!!!! ::kidding of course::

This is a very passionate hobby it seems. I did not chime in much over the last few days but it seems like everything is kinda settling down.

This is a very passionate hobby it seems. I did not chime in much over the last few days but it seems like everything is kinda settling down.

I think it was more of people getting their frustrations out and venting... Maybe someone at CAD was on vacation when all of this went down. We may never know...

I think it was more of people getting their frustrations out and venting... Maybe someone at CAD was on vacation when all of this went down. We may never know...

Phixion

According to my source, all has been taken care of and it was a VERY small number of light fixtures that were identified as bad.

Phixion

According to my source, all has been taken care of and it was a VERY small number of light fixtures that were identified as bad.

That's definitely reassuring news. How about the tank baffeling issues that a few have experienced?

Day 31

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

pH 8.1

Ca 480

Temp 78.5F – 79.5

Salinity 1.023

dKH 12.8

Did a 3 gallon water change this weekend and added the following. Let me know what you think! :D

My current live stock list includes 4 Astrea Snails, 6 Blue Leg Hermits, 1 Cleaner shrimp and 1 Clown Fish, what would be a good addition for stirring up my substrate some?

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

Rodney I am new to the hobby too and want to say after reading all 6 pages of this thread you have been very helpful. I am now convinced about the Cadlight 34 gallon signature series. Although I'm glad you brought up that the stand was garbage. I'll have to look at stands then. No biggie. I'm not planning on getting my tank till late december but this thread sure has answered allot of my questions. For example I was wondering if any of you put in heaters in your tanks and you added the finnex one...have to price that. I'm assuming it's an in-line one. Also pumps. Talked to Eddie earlier today and he said to possibly get another powerhead or stream pump. Was wondering what one your using now and where you got it from (IT looks Massive). Also I'v read allot between books and internet forums that you should have about 1.-5 - 3 lbs of LR. In your case I believe you went with 1.5 which is what I'm planning on doing. But you put about 10 lbs just in your refugium...I was going to try to fit 50 lbs in my DT OH my. So obviously I can get less LR and buy some more LR rubble. Also the sand base thing was bugging me too...but you said 40 lbs was about 2 inches right? Also what is a reefkeeper 2...I haven't come across one of these and have no idea what it is but from everything you said I should get one. Also wasn't planning on a ATO but maybe I should???

Also great tank so far..giving me goose bumps just thinking of stocking mine.

Rodney I am new to the hobby too and want to say after reading all 6 pages of this thread you have been very helpful. I am now convinced about the Cadlight 34 gallon signature series. Although I'm glad you brought up that the stand was garbage. I'll have to look at stands then. No biggie. I'm not planning on getting my tank till late december but this thread sure has answered allot of my questions. For example I was wondering if any of you put in heaters in your tanks and you added the finnex one...have to price that. I'm assuming it's an in-line one. Also pumps. Talked to Eddie earlier today and he said to possibly get another powerhead or stream pump. Was wondering what one your using now and where you got it from (IT looks Massive). Also I'v read allot between books and internet forums that you should have about 1.-5 - 3 lbs of LR. In your case I believe you went with 1.5 which is what I'm planning on doing. But you put about 10 lbs just in your refugium...I was going to try to fit 50 lbs in my DT OH my. So obviously I can get less LR and buy some more LR rubble. Also the sand base thing was bugging me too...but you said 40 lbs was about 2 inches right? Also what is a reefkeeper 2...I haven't come across one of these and have no idea what it is but from everything you said I should get one. Also wasn't planning on a ATO but maybe I should???

Also great tank so far..giving me goose bumps just thinking of stocking mine.

Glad I could be of help as I could not and would not have attempted this without this forum and what others have so well documented. I am simply passing on what others have already done.

Probably a good time for me to recap my opinion on a few things and what equipment I am currently using.

Cadlight 34G with stock lighting, return pump and skimmer.

Chamber 1 10lbs LR rubble

Chamber 2 Stock skimmer and Reefkeeper 2 pH probe

Chamber 3 Cheato, 3 inches of Miracle Mud and Reefkeeper 2 temp probe

Chamber 4 Stock return pump and Jager 100w heater and JBJ ATO sensor

Display Area

Koralia #1 and a Tunze 6025 (Still not pleased with flow in the tank but will keep adjusting till I get it right)

45-50 Pounds of LR

20 Pounds of Indo-Pacific Black Sand which gives about 1-1/2" sand bed

Live Stock

1 Small clown fish (Spike as my kids call him)

1 Cleaner Shrimp (No name yet)

4 Astrea Snails

6 Small Blue Leg Hermits

2 Types of Zoos

1 Green Button Polyps cover LR

1 Ricordea

1 Grape Tip Frogspawn

1 Candy Cane

1 Pom Pom Xenia (Maybe?)

1 Mushroom cover LR

My opinions:

Find a LFS that you trust. While there are some very good forums and websites to draw from, my LFS has been the most helpful with my questions. I visited different LFS many times prior to purchasing my tank so I could decide where to make most of my purchases. Lets face it, there will be time you need advice ASAP and what better place than from a LFS that you trust. There are so many different ways to go about the same task it is a little overwhelming at times. omgomgomg

I would not be where I am with my tank if it were not for the Reefkeeper 2. Simply put, it is nothing more than a computerized timer, but it has taken much of the guess work and worry out of my setup. I know the Reefkeeper 2 is expensive, but WELL WORTH it IMO. The Finnex heater would not work with the Reefkeeper because it had its own electronic controller and every time the Reefkeeper shut the heater off it would reset itself to factory settings. The second most important item is my JBJ ATO. I did not hook it up at first and I really struggled with keeping my water parameters as stable as I was wanting. I finally got it up and running after a couple of weeks and it has been great and really helped stabilize my water level and parameters. I highly recommend an ATO.

I use the all Salifert test kits and they seem to work well. I must say I have tested my water myself and taken samples to 2 different LFS's and no test have registered the same. This really bothered me at first and confused me as to what I needed to do, but I go by my test results since I am able to test daily.

I feed my tank frozen Spirulina Brine Shrimp and Mysis once a day Monday-Friday. My tank is in my office at work so I don't feed Saturday and Sunday unless I happen to be at work.

I was very fortunate that my tank never had the big cycle spikes we have all read about. I use RO/DI and SW from my LFS and I am sure this has help keep my algae problems to a bare minimum.

I know there will be some problems at some point with this hobby but so far I love the tank and could not be happier my setup.

Thanks for tagging along and good luck.

Day 38

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

pH 8.1

Ca 420

Temp 78.5F – 79.5

Salinity 1.023

dKH 10

Did a 3 gallon water change this weekend and added some fish! :lol:

I know....I know....I gotta work on my picture taking....6 Line Wrasse :D

IMG_0125.jpg

Two of these fellas....Sexy Shrimp

IMG_0122.jpg

Fun to watch....Rainsford Gobie

IMG_0120.jpg

Added this guy a couple of weeks ago....Clown Fish

IMG_0112.jpg

And finally.....Yellow Watchmen Gobie....the star of the tank.....

IMG_0117.jpg

My tank is finally taking on a personality...... B)

Archived