Top Shelf Aquatics

How not to DIY

wav3form

One Eyed Bunny

Give the guy a break. Although the law of parsimony applies to most instances, it does not for all.

Although a bit redundant, I don't see why anyone needs to belittle him. It may not be the cleanest build, or the best, but give the guy some credit. It's a pretty cool build considering he's doing most of the work himself and installing everything himself.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
neanderthalman

Redundance aside, there are some SERIOUS electrical problems with his setup. Note the use of exposed butt splices in several pictures - that's one problem. Second, look at the photos of the yellow-cabled plugs he's constructed - the jacket is not crimped by the plug and the wires are exposed. Thirdly, there are too many receptacles within a confined wooden enclosure, it violates electrical codes across N.A.

Should I add more? This guys setup is a nightmare. It's not so much a nightmare from a design standpoint, but moreso from a workmanship point of view. Good ideas, poor execution.

Dr.Fumanchu

I think Meth addicts refer to this as "Frankensteining". They take apart TV's, stereos, computers etc., while they are all jacked up.

Redundance aside, there are some SERIOUS electrical problems with his setup. Note the use of exposed butt splices in several pictures - that's one problem. Second, look at the photos of the yellow-cabled plugs he's constructed - the jacket is not crimped by the plug and the wires are exposed. Thirdly, there are too many receptacles within a confined wooden enclosure, it violates electrical codes across N.A.

Should I add more? This guys setup is a nightmare. It's not so much a nightmare from a design standpoint, but moreso from a workmanship point of view. Good ideas, poor execution.

This guy is fine. He is planning to have the tank that is setting on top of all the electrical double as a fire supression system.

This guy is fine. He is planning to have the tank that is setting on top of all the electrical double as a fire supression system.

LMAO omgomgomg

Well that guy updated us with some pics but still...i just dont understand what he's doing. He made good and bought a tunze skimmer which shows all hope for him isnt lost but look at this pvc piping.

DSCF0191.jpg

He could have just come off the skimmer box with a 90 angle and union'd it in the middle. Instead its just a restriction mess. /sigh.

I think this guy is one of those people completly devoid of style. His designs may function but they look pretty damn ugly and I haven't seen anything that looks "clean" on his build. I mean punching a hole in the front (?) of a decent stand to run a piece of clear line who would want to look at their final setup and see tubes and pipes all over the place?

I'll give him credit for the effort he's putting in to it, but I'll then take that credit away for not listening to good advice.

He'd get better results if he proposed his ideas first and see if anyone finds legitimate faults.

He also obviously doesn't care about how everything looks.

• 1 month later...

He's added more plumbing bits and silicone to random parts. I can't wait for this thing to get fired up! It's like a train wreck that you can't help but not stare.

The Propagator

HOW IN THE FOOK DID I MISS THIS JEWL OF A THREAD UNTIL NOW !!!

:haha:

Felas my 100g prop tank is ghetto'ed out prety well I must say but DAYYYAM !!!

I bet you a dollar this guy used to work for Yugo.

That has to be the most destined to fail and kill some one display I have ever seen.

The plumbing alone SCREAMS leaks.

The electrical work he has done looks like somthing that fell out of an Ox's azz.

I mean good God man.

This dude is SERIOUSLY gonna hurt himself or his family with that

Thing the way it is curerently set up.

lil'wrasse cool

I've done dyi's with no plan or idea what im building. But sometimes you must stand back and say why........ but all dyis are done with a nice look to them or hidden.... but i guess then you dont see all the work that when into the project. just the tank hmm...... he's on to something but from a electricl background that things un safe. I know the american code is not as tight as canadian code but I dont think that would pass any inspection.

Sharpie129
HOW IN THE FOOK DID I MISS THIS JEWL OF A THREAD UNTIL NOW !!!

Same here... I'm so speechless... Every time I see a mess like that and think about what I could do with the same amount of time and money... I die a little....

Anybody wanna estimate how much money he's thrown in that thing? I particularly love the post where someone linked to the wikipedia page on rube goldberg... I honestly feel bad because this guys put a lot of effort but in reefing... an A for effort can still mean an F in keeping water in the tank... He already killed a rio the first time he put water into the tank (I wouldn't be surprised if the plumbing maze burnt it out)... If that thing leaks anywhere, he's going to have to drain everything to fix it... I can understand some compromises if you're saving money by using things you have lying around but... Did he have plans before he went to the hardware store or did he just buy one of everything?

I read through the First 23 pages.

all I can say is..........MY EYES ARE SCREAMING

I admire the intuition, and question the judgement.....

Now If he can do this, and have a "sound" reasoning for it, I have hope for the Congress all of a sudden....

Archived