Cultivated Reef

How not to DIY

wav3form

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised everyone in that thread hasn't been banned, knowing the RC mods. They must realize what a horror it is and secretly agree with everyone else in the thread.

Wow. That's a little complex for no reason... I had the idea of using the PVC frame to push a little water, but I just used MJ1200s that pushed into a hole just big enough to fit the nozzles. Not sure what to say..

Very stupid I know/did some electronics that thing is going to be the dangerous /exploding /boiling tank :D Why not just use power strips with the GFIs that the strips are plugged into ?

I seriously wished I saw a video of the thing on..

The oney he spent on that thing I am 15 and coulda devised a nice $250 setup :)

In hawaii(used to live there very long story) there were many large house an hour away like Micheal Dell's,the guy who invented the pace maker and so on who had no vale of money and got whatever done right now. That kid obviously has lots of money and minimal brains or is just doing it over way over built and complex.

Scratch that he says

"That was an expensive order."

then the guy says

"YES, I am poor now"

HAHAHA where's Frankenstiens Monster???? Thats a little excesive.... Is he trying to make it space worthy?

Oh and I was going to laugh my a$$ off if it leaked! To bad the guy vanished. The tank ATE him!

stoney waters

Originally posted by tgreene

Do you by chance live in your parents basement, aaaaaand maybe wear a shackle on your ankle..?

LOL. My favorite quote in the thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
The Propagator
Looks like he disappeared. FBI probably came and took him away.

Figured he was making a bomb and deemed him a homeland security threat !! :lol:

That is a good example of something that irritates me about a lot of reefers. Not to offend anyone but I have been to a few people's houses that are in the hobby and am usually more appalled than impressed. Too many get more into the equipment than the livestock. They may have a tank full of beautiful corals and fish but that beauty is taken away from by the unfinished stand made of 2x4s that looks like it was constructed by a 5 year old. They display the sump like its part of the display and their house smells like a lfs because they went with a tank that was so big all they have room for in their living room is it and a chair.

I'm impressed with the guys who think like I do and realize that the showpiece is the tank's inhabitants not everything that supports them. Their tanks are sitting on either professionally built or looking stands and all the equipment is either concealed in the stand or canopy. The tank is the right size for the space, maintained and care taken while maintaining so that the house doesn't smell like a fish store.

Sorry for the rant and hope I didn't offend anyone but so many time I want to say, nice tank but why don't you spend just a fraction of what you have spent on equipment and livestock and make it all look nice.

By looking at the thread the guy put a ton of time and money into what he is building. His build out goes to show how over thinking this hobby can work against you instead of helping. Its simple but made out to be difficult. But, my favorite is the duct tap as a back ground and the shower curtain thing that is covering the "sump".

The guy might be proud of the build. It might be a huge upgrade from his last build?? One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Archived