Innovative Marine Aquariums

Playing with your PPE

mvite

I will admit MY PPE are just about my fav peice in my tank. Just love the little buggers.

Oh MVite i have 1 bud splitting and a second bud forming :)

almost to 4

Cool---and then you are slicing your polyps tomorrow, right? They will still be connected though. ;) Good luck down there!!!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did this on some RPE's and Sunflower palys two weeks ago, finally I have a new bud for every polyp. It definately works great. Im getting some PPE in a week, not sure if Ill have the guts to do it though. lol

Once the 2 new growth sites are juvies i am cutting them in to 2 seprate frags on that rock. the way the second sprawl growth is forming i can V out some flesh easy.

SeeDemTails

Here is an update pic of my PPE's new bud.

3/11

IMG_3944.jpg

3/27

IMG_4237_1.jpg

4/12

IMG_4342.jpg

And here is a pic of a frag next to the PPEs, splitting rather than budding. I wish I could get my PPEs to split.

IMG_4341.jpg

post-26026-1176417499_thumb.jpg post-26026-1176417458_thumb.jpg post-26026-1176417524_thumb.jpg

Here are a few blurry pics of my ppes. I think I am going to cut one of the membranes between the polyps like everyone else is doing. B)

MarvinsReef

awesome progression pics guys...

here's some of mine that will go under the blade sometime tonight or tomorrow.. back up frags.. one is the sparkled PPE's and the other is the solid purple PPE's.. both will be fragged into single polyps as long as the cut is clean enough to do.. :D

Solid Purple PPE back up frag

PPEBefFragP.jpg

Sparkled PPE back up frag

PPEsBefFragP.jpg

and this shot is one of the Sparkled PPE's that I fragged about 3-4 weeks ago.. I'm seeing 2 new babies forming... :D

gotSparklesP.jpg

man i love this thread.... except it makes me extremely jealous everytime I look at it

;)

Not to try to hijack this thread and I am not affiliated with these guys at all but I saw on reefenvy.com that they have what looks like an 8 polyp frag of PPE for 300.00 that would be 37.5 per polyp. with people still getting 50 per polyp in some cases that seems like a good deal.

OK UPDATE!

Sorry pics are bad but you'll have to trust me.

newppeexppics4-13-07005.jpg

newppeexppics4-13-07006.jpg

newppeexppics4-13-07007.jpg

You can see the bulging of the skin of the polyp. On the double circled polyp it is very hard to see, but there are two distinct areas where a polyp's are fixing to pop!

newppeexppics4-13-07024.jpg

newppeexppics4-13-07027.jpg

newppeexppics4-13-07022.jpg

Now the armeggedons. I already had about two baby polyps, but I have have one extra since the cut and the polyps are no reconnected.

newppeexppics4-13-07017.jpg

newppeexppics4-13-07019.jpg

newppeexppics4-13-07031.jpg

MarvinsReef

here's my experiment... before and after fragging of two varieties of PPE...

variety 1

PPEBefFragP.jpg

variety 2

PPEsBefFragP.jpg

and here they are after surgery.. (variety 1 -- left; variety 2 -- right)

PPEExp_04-14-07P.jpg

most are going out next week but I'm left with (2) single polyps of both variety that I will do further experimentation on.. I manage to cut an adult polyp in half so I'll be monitoring if it's going to make it or not.. I hope it does.. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey gang--

I have been lax with my pic postings. Mostly because there hadn't been too much to report since the fraggin.

HOWEVA!!!! Upon close inspection last night--they are all fully healed and have covered over their attachment points. There are a few new heads. I started with 5 polyps and there are probably 8 now in the past few weeks. There is also some serious new buddin goin on.

I will get some pics up---maybe tonight---and then I am gonna cut em again.

There's no doubt they are stimulated by the cuts. I had also fragged some RPE and they have budded like crazy as well.

Stay tuned!!!

Well I didn't get no pics yet--but---I was in the basement getting ready to start packing for travel---and there were the PPE and there was this clean ol' razor blade looking at me. Next thing I knew, I had sliced every single polyp I have PPE and RPE alike!

I will be back on Friday---but I am sure that will be too soon. I'm telling you---this time I wasn't as GENTLE as I was in the first post. I sliced and sliced---wherever there looked to be a slight bit of membrane--I scored it with the blade. Sometimes I didn't get right down to the rock, for fear of separating a polyp from the piece, but I still sliced them up good!!!

Not bad.

The top pic is all three frag groups. I don't know the dates for tracking growth--but it hasn't been too long.

IMG_2752.jpg

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2768.jpg

Look at all those Nubs!! My damn skirts are browning out stupid pc's

cant wait to move them in to the MH tank..

ezcompany

can u guys tell me the actual slicing process? do you just downright cut it in half or what? :huh:

Matty1124

holy crap... and here i have been letting mine grow like snails.... now where did i put my razor...

can u guys tell me the actual slicing process? do you just downright cut it in half or what? :huh:

The connective tissue between established polyps is being sliced and in some cases V grooved so the coral going in to survival mode and starts pushing out buds.

Something like that.

Archived