Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Playing with your PPE

mvite

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have any pics of your buddys' PPE polyp? ;)

What are you? Some kinda PPE Peeper?

Here's my buddy's polyp--crappy fuzzy pics. The 20K is killing me-even with a tripod.

IMG_1547.jpg

Here's a blurry one of the side bud. It's forming right where you can see the shiny part at the base.

IMG_1554.jpg

Here's a 360 PPE-Panorama.....there are buds -- but nothing count-able.

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

I am going to cut this group into three this weekend. It's hard to tell if this growth was from my cutting---because some were going to grow anyway. We'll see better once I get them separated and living in the same conditions.

It seems that my original colony formed new buds since the removal of 1 polyp a week ago. Another weird thing... look at the PPE skirts in the pic:

PPEs

The top row of tentacles, is becoming forked on some of them. Any one seen this B4??

wow, those forked tentacles are pretty cool looking! now wouldnt it be sweet if we could isolate that gene and produce "double fanged" PPE's!!!!

I cut mine about the same time Mvite. Three polyps to start with, now I have 1 new polyp and 4 more are sprouting from the others. I will post pics later today.

Well--I made some changes!

Before the fraggin--I took some pics. Check out this weird bubble thing that is forming under one of the polyps. It actually looks like 4 little bubbles inside the membrane. I can't say that it will be 4 polyps---but I can say that little buds where abundant when I was handling these.

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

So what did I do? Yep, I fragged em. 3 frags--(2) dubs and a single.

IMG_1903.jpg

They are OK--not happy--but OK. There was minimal tissue damage involved. The membrane is tough, but I only had to tear the tissue once or twice. Mission accomplished. I will screw with 2 of these and leave the single alone.

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

I'm gonna give em a week or two to heal before I mess with em anymore.

I think the single will be the control---unless I need two dubs to start. I was looking to cut one and prick the other.

Wow--I could twist that quote around in 100 ways if it wasn't mine!

To be as scientific as possible, you should puncture one of the polyps on each pair. This would create repetition, and limit the number of extraneous variables because your control would be the other polyp they are attatched to and thus in the same environment.

My new buddy....

IMG_4237_1.jpg

Nice pic! Are there 2 buds there?

I like this thread. Once I have more than one ppe I will play with them too

Thanks! Post your single---I am curious as to how all of these grow--even if they aren't being "played with".

Feel free to post pics for us to admire as well!! The more we see different looking ones and how they grow---the better we all are!

I wish I had a billion of these! This thread still gets me at least one PM a day asking to sell one. I really wish I had more than these! :(

I turned some of my PPE into micromussa in trades!!! Now I must rebuild my stash!

SeeDemTails

Mvite, im not sure, it has a line down the middle so maybe!

And BTW, again I am not messing with mine...they are a control.

Oh Id definitely call that a massive bud seedem, it should crack open in a week or 2.

And if any one hasnt read nano-paul's sig lately, you should, its worth it.

Did he make that up himself?

Oh Id definitely call that a massive bud seedem, it should crack open in a week or 2.

And if any one hasnt read nano-paul's sig lately, you should, its worth it.

Did he make that up himself?

It was synergized by lgreen, marketed by halfpint---and I think Paul is a regional distributor.

You gotta have something covering your PPE!!

It was synergized by lgreen, marketed by halfpint---and I think Paul is a regional distributor.

You gotta have something covering your PPE!!

:lol: I am the marketing manager! How am I doing? :lol:

I dunno--I'm just the icon. :)

It "became" independant of me. They were never worn, implied to be worn, condoned, chosen, touched, thought about, or created by me. No proceeds come my way.

You are definitely getting attention with it. But I sure wish it was a wo-man thong.

edit: added smiley!

It actually is a woman thong..it just says man thong. That wouldn't do much for your man parts.

Well that's good. I feel much better now!!!

So basically what you guys are doing is removing the connective tissue between these polyps and making stand alone polyps?

Fishfreak218
So basically what you guys are doing is removing the connective tissue between these polyps and making stand alone polyps?

I thought they were just cutting the connective tissue to help stimulate rapid cell production (when you get a cut, the cells around the cut start to produce faster to heal the cut, that kind of thing) which would help to make another polyp.

Yep, it injures the coral, making it react by supposedly reproducing faster. Kinda like a pest anemone does, except on a slower level.

Oh, And Im getting some PPE!!!!!! I will have them in 2 weeks! Im so excited, Ill see if I get the nerve to cut them. lol

after what i went though just getting mine to open up i am not touching them till they hit 5 polyps at least lol

Archived