inTank Media Baskets

Playing with your PPE

mvite

Mark, sorry to say they "melted away" :huh: Don't have a clue as to why, everything else is doin' fine. So my quest has started anew. (Hint, Hint, wink, wink). ;)

Aw man--that's terrible--I'm sorry to hear that.

Maybe I will be doubling my stash soon! If I had a list--you would be at the top of it!!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Propagator

"L" your gonna have to sell me a few of those scalpals homey :)

Mark your a man after my own heart !

DICE'EM !!!!

:)

Mark, sorry to say they "melted away" :huh: Don't have a clue as to why, everything else is doin' fine. So my quest has started anew. (Hint, Hint, wink, wink). ;)

Is it possible you over sliced?

Maybe to many slices causing to much stress and possibly infection?

Is it possible you over sliced?

Maybe to many slices causing to much stress and possibly infection?

He got them from me on ebay a while back---we didn't make the connection here until after we "met" on ebay.

Mike Dege brought over PPE and I fragged them for him....After about 3-4 months of growth he has like 30 -35 of them and he left me 5-10....They dont grow out of control fast in my tank but they do grow...

He got them from me on ebay a while back---we didn't make the connection here until after we "met" on ebay.

ohhhhh bummer

hahaha, lgreen had the same idea i did..... but out that dissecting kit and use those surgical blades! hooray for biology labs!

Well in the spirit of this thread I decided to make a frag of my PPE's.

I had tried before and got scared as my methods were not seeming to work so I gave up. I needed more glue any ways so I went to walmart and picked up an exacto knife from the craft section (nothing like super glue and razor blades!)

I snuk that little blade right under one of the biggest polyps and mounted it on a big marble tile. Hopefully it grows, ive only put on 1 polyp since i got the frag of like 10 polyps.

somebody that has a decent size colony of something should do an experiment - follow the directions and hack up half of the colony, then see which half grows quickest. That would definitively prove the process's growth capabilities.

Well in the spirit of this thread I decided to make a frag of my PPE's.

I had tried before and got scared as my methods were not seeming to work so I gave up. I needed more glue any ways so I went to walmart and picked up an exacto knife from the craft section (nothing like super glue and razor blades!)

I snuk that little blade right under one of the biggest polyps and mounted it on a big marble tile. Hopefully it grows, ive only put on 1 polyp since i got the frag of like 10 polyps.

Good for you! Post a pic!!!

No real change in mine. The cuts look like they have healed---you can barely see them. There is one area where you can see clear through to the rock, but no growth yet.

They are all open and happy!!

sephroth_r1

mark, i found the most growth happens when they are seperated compleatly IE...

on poly attaches to another rock, slice clean through, seperating the one on the rock and the colony.

the one seperated explodes with growth, as it heals.

i think yours were able to "fuse" the wounds back together. that may be what happened if they look healed.

my .02

I got 10 polyps on ebay a little over a month ago. I just counted 17 polyps now. I took the fragged original 10 and seperated them into 3 frags. They all almost doubled in size since. Just 5 weeks! So either there is something to the whole seperation thing or my growth is normal and alot of people are lieng about how fast PPE'S grow. Allso my originals are and still very small. I believe they are useing all their energy to multiply rather than get big.

saltwater475-1.jpg

saltwater474.jpg

Mine "laid low" like that a while ago when I was POUNDING them with light--it doesn't look like you are overlighting those--like mine were. I had them 10-15 inches from a 250W halide.

hahaha, lgreen had the same idea i did..... but out that dissecting kit and use those surgical blades! hooray for biology labs!

Just getting my $50 per lab fee's worth ;) I wish they'd get some non-powdered gloves though so I can stop stealing them from the chemistry department.

Alright folks---You either have 'em or you wish you had 'em----but there has been no phenomenon quite like the PPE (Purple People Eater) polyp.

I'm not sure if this will get me lynched, but: What's so special about these things?

I'm not sure if this will get me lynched, but: What's so special about these things?

PPE are awesome. Dont you have any? I will sell you one polyp. ;)

The Propagator

Thats what mine are doing now Mark

"laying low"

I am currently pounding thewm with 2x 250w DEs LOL!!

But my PPRPE on the other hand LOVE IT.

The PPE lost color :(

Helfrichs Chick

I have to agree. Personally I have not seen them, I wouldnt mind a couple, to see what the hype is all about.....but dont see the big deal. Ah but I am one of those people who dislike the "named" zoas and palys. Pink nipple monkey licker buger flinger zoa. I just dont get the names of these things. Seems like anyone who has a morph names em whatever. IMO just makes things confusing, as I see names that are diffrent but look the same. Confusing, I remember back in the day lots of people didnt even like Zoas, they were considered a PITA that smothered SPS and were common hitchickers. So funny. Not saying much as my tank is only rics and zoas. Doh.

<smilie with rope> :lol:

As a "have" of PPE, I have to agree. I was nearly breathless with my obsession to obtain them. Once I had them, I said "They're just zoanthids." I remember taking them out of the thermos when I received them. I was thinking "Huh? These look just like tiny pieces of rock with closed up zoas on them---exactly like every other zoanthid I have received."

I was bewildered because I was expecting something to be very different. The fact is--they're not.

I think they got hot because they were the "one that started it all". No one was really keeping zoas---let alone naming them cute names and getting consistent and predictable growth.

Then the guy who named them stopped selling them--and only auctions them for a charity event. I think they have gone for several hundred a polyp in the auctions.

Maybe someday there will be an "Behind the Scenes with PPE" show on TV.

I have gotten a skimmer, calcium reactor, countless other corals, web and graphic design and the envy of a few of my fellow reefers by having them!!! The original "investment" was a small price to pay at the time.

I think it's fun to name zoas. I liked the booger flinger idea especially!!!

I traded one polyp of PPE for a frag of purple monster about 6 weeks ago. The guy I gave the PPE to already has 4-5 full size baby polyps. Its very true that they grow much faster after fragging.

I bit off topic but does anyone have a problem with them not opening every now and then for a week at a time? Some of my frags will close up for 6-10 days and reopen like nothing ever happed. Freaked me out the first time they did it, I thought they were dead.

The frag i just received the other day has been playing peek-ah-boo with me since i put it in the tank!

the smaller of the poylps opens enough to stick it mouth out and the adult just sits there.

I am hoping it does what you are talking about.

I dont think they are much like your common zoa, there so much bigger and friendlier IMO. (mine smile at me)

Oh yea my point: I was not let down by these guys(although i didnt pay 50 dollars for each of the polyps so maybe my expectations were not as high). They are clearly a diffrent beast compared to other zoas and I like the nature of this beast :lol: They also grow painfully slow, which is why I feel they are so painfully expensive, that along with the name. However, you are getting more for your money in a sense in that one PPE polyp is like as big as 3-4 normal sized zoos, and a bout 2 of what are being passed off as "palys" now a days(This does not hold true for all palys such as the RPE, GPE, or any PPE relative).

Archived