Cultivated Reef

Playing with your PPE

mvite

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did it on my other palys, works really good, I took a razor blade and sliced all the way through the membrade into the LR underneath them

how do you know when we have cut through the membrane? do we basicly just slice into the skin just a TINY bit?

I cut straight through to the rock underneath. I felt the scrape of the rock against the blade. You can't hurt em if you are on the membrane. Try not to hit the meat of the polyps and you will be ok.

Well, I think fragging mine stunted or killed the developing buds because they don't look as prolific as before I cut them. I can only see a couple buds--and from what I remember from before fragging them, there were more.

I will post some pics later. I guess I could have waited for the developing buds to grow before I separated them all. Oh well!!!!

sephroth_r1

give it a few more days.

i noticed a stunted growth period, then blawl! maybe its different with your system, since it is so crystal clear, and my 8 is a lil nutrient rich since there is no skimmer?

texasarrowhead

Sambo123 and guy nguyen the PPE frags are looking good and by the time of the trade may be more than 2 polyps.The PPE to me are the easiest to frag.I have one frag of zoa's that they just waste away after fraggin.I get 1 out of 3 that make it.

Sambo123 and guy nguyen the PPE frags are looking good and by the time of the trade may be more than 2 polyps.The PPE to me are the easiest to frag.I have one frag of zoa's that they just waste away after fraggin.I get 1 out of 3 that make it.

Thats great Im very excited, I dont think Ill cut them till they get to 5polyps though. Ill be to scared :P:scarry: I think all my zoas and palys are east to frag, I get about 98% success rate with frags. Hey, Texasarrowhead, did you get the photos I sent you of my frags?

Here is my go at it with a 3 polyp frag:

I decided to go ahead and completely frag the PPE's.

before pics

ppefragback.jpg

ppefragbeforefront.jpg

Now after the cuts:

ppegroupafter.jpg

1ppeafter.jpg

2ppeafter.jpg

3polypafter.jpg

And now I tried the method of just cutting through the membrane of some armeggedons.

armbefore.jpg

armafter1.jpg

Hard to see the cut between the two but its there.

arm2after.jpg

arm.jpg

If you have a frag of more than 5 of these, i suggest you frag it for optimal growth. Since removing one polyp off my frag, i have about 7 new buds!! Now does anyone know a way to make those litttle buds grow up faster?

Comments like this are what urges me on to do more! ;)

Thanks.

all i have to say is wow and were can i score those

man i love this thread....... I just got some sweet lunar eclipse palys, but they are struggling to open after shipping..... anyone have any ideas?!?!?!

My PPE did the same thing. just leave them be once i left mine on the bottom but in dirrect sunlight they opened up (this took a week because i was moving them to try and find a happy spot)

I managed to let the blade slip on a single polyp yesterday :angry:

Cut the whole top off except one side hanging by a little tissue...cussed

put it back in the tank...now lets see if it dies or divides.

Izzue

I managed to let the blade slip on a single polyp yesterday :angry:

Cut the whole top off except one side hanging by a little tissue...cussed

put it back in the tank...now lets see if it dies or divides.

Izzue

Don't sweat it---I saw on GARF.org--that was how they have done it and it grows into 2 new ones. Just try and keep track of the head part so it doesn't get away from you.

REV---THOSE THINGS ARE GLOWING RIGHT OUT OF YOUR TANK!!

Thanks for posting pics everyone.

I started trying to feed mine cyclopeez for the last few days on and off. I'm not much of a zoa feeder.

MVite...

I didnt worry to much...good thing...got home from work yesterday and checked on it...apparently I didnt cut it all the way and it was able to reconnect and is apparently healing itself. Looks like its still gonna be just one...but at least I didnt kill it.

When you think of all the things corals deal with in the ocean...should have known it was tougher than a razor blade.. B)

Izzue

Archived