Innovative Marine Aquariums

Playing with your PPE

mvite

The PPEs' I sliced a while back are showing some swelling around the base of the polyps. I'm keeping my eyes on them!

Checking out the tank tonight and it looks like I have another PPE polyp! Up to 6 now! Man, these things sure grow slow. Maybe that's one reason why they cost so much?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

now are these new "forced" polyps growing to the same size as their parents? im curious to know about the possible stunting due to this experiment.

The Propagator

Can't happen ( should say wont happen) due to force.

The only thing that can stunt growth is poor conditions or predation.

I have big news! I bought 1 polyp of this exactly 1 month ago at a frag swap. Guess how many buds it has coming off of it... Guess.. Well if you guessed 3 then you're right. THREE!!!

Here's how it happened. First off, I dose coral accel and reef plus, I think Prop once mentioned he used these and now I have faith in them too. It is about 6 inches away from a 14000K 70watt sunpod in an AP12. The big thing that I think pushed this little guy so hard is that it had 2 small feather dusters around it. Almost constricting its width which made the base swell like crazy. Other than these observations I haven't paid much attention to it.. Maybe thats the key, not playing with it daily, lol. Good luck everybody!

I have big news! I bought 1 polyp of this exactly 1 month ago at a frag swap. Guess how many buds it has coming off of it... Guess.. Well if you guessed 3 then you're right. THREE!!!

Here's how it happened. First off, I dose coral accel and reef plus, I think Prop once mentioned he used these and now I have faith in them too. It is about 6 inches away from a 14000K 70watt sunpod in an AP12. The big thing that I think pushed this little guy so hard is that it had 2 small feather dusters around it. Almost constricting its width which made the base swell like crazy. Other than these observations I haven't paid much attention to it.. Maybe thats the key, not playing with it daily, lol. Good luck everybody!

i haven't touched my ppes for a month now... i still have the two heads i started out with...oh yea

• 2 weeks later...
eklikewhoa

Ok, So I finally get a hold of a small colony of PPE's and now I can join you guys.

6polyp PPE cut between polyps done today.

4polyp Purple Death done on 03/20/08 is now 10+1 sprouting

4polyp Nuclear Green done on 03/20/08 is now 6 polyps

2polyp RPE is still 2polyps

1polyp PPRPE starting to bud up in 2 spots

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to update and now I have 11 polyps! I keep slicing them to help them sprout new buds, but thet are still slow growers compared to other corals. I'll see if I can post some pics.

I just bought a single polyp. It took like 3 days to fully open and the green is not very intense. I can see it around the mouth but not as much around the "tenticles" (I know tnot he correct term...). Will it take a little while to color up? Plus how much lighting and flow should I give it?

Archived