Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Playing with your PPE

mvite

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As interesting as this thead is... I have to say after making my way through the whole thing you guys are like the kids on the play ground with the big bag of candy...

I got PPE and you caaaan't have em.. Nener nener neeener.

;)

• 1 month later...

Well, wish me luck! Last night I was messing around with the tank and noticed my "colony" (5 polyps) of PPE. I originally got this from Mvite. It was 1 polyp with a new one starting to sprout. So I remembered this thread. I took out the colony and sliced each polyp using an exacto knife. Now I'll wait and see what happens!

you aren't the guy in this video are you? :huh:

It first I didn't think this video was appropriate for the aquaculture forum, but after I thought about it, it is technically fragging. I must admit I didn't watch the whole video though.

It first I didn't think this video was appropriate for the aquaculture forum, but after I thought about it, it is technically fragging. I must admit I didn't watch the whole video though.

I started to, but it made me hurt watching it. OUCH!!

• 2 weeks later...

So I have a question about the "slicing" you all are doing. When looking at the stalk of a polyp, are you cutting around the base of the polyp kinda at a 45 degree angle to the rock and cutting the lower base all the way through? Are you doing it all the way around the base of the polyp? or are you cutting 90 degrees straight down the rock slicing only between polyps? Maybe I should see the pics first on the thread before asking but I'm at work and can't see the pics *cries*

So I have a question about the "slicing" you all are doing. When looking at the stalk of a polyp, are you cutting around the base of the polyp kinda at a 45 degree angle to the rock and cutting the lower base all the way through? Are you doing it all the way around the base of the polyp? or are you cutting 90 degrees straight down the rock slicing only between polyps? Maybe I should see the pics first on the thread before asking but I'm at work and can't see the pics *cries*

I'm pretty sure it's the latter, just slicing between polyps.

If you really want to grow your zoos fast. 1 polyp per plug, every time it grows an adult size polyp, cut it off and place it on a new plug. The first few weeks into healing and growing will seem slow, but down the road when you have 5 plugs you'll be busy. You want to give the polyps space to grow and having a tight group of polyps, you are just limiting the available space/growth area.

The Propagator
Just wondering if Im getting this right....

closeupzoos.jpg

If I cut in that grey area, it should stimulate more growth?

:happydance:omgomgomg

1st you might want to let those puppies heal up a bit, maybe dip them ?

See all those clear sacks and slime around the polyps?

Severe stress from something going on there.

And its only between the polyps :) ( like Weaty said )

I tried this with my RPE's, NG's and PD's......Not sure if it made much of a difference but the RPE is still pretty slow and the others sprouted new polyps pretty fast but I think that's normal.

Anyone wanna trade/sell me a PPE?

I've noticed on my Bam Bams that if I placed a single polyp on a frag disk with plenty of room around it, in about two weeks I now have the original polyp and about 3-5 buds around the base, they're not showing tentacles yet but we'll see...

TheUnfocusedOne
Not to try to hijack this thread and I am not affiliated with these guys at all but I saw on reefenvy.com that they have what looks like an 8 polyp frag of PPE for 300.00 that would be 37.5 per polyp. with people still getting 50 per polyp in some cases that seems like a good deal.

i wish i has some armagedons....

when i get some ppes, im gonna cut two singles to do my own experiment. there is a laser technolgy that has a wavelength that stimulates rapid cell growth and healing. i use it on my injuries and bruises. one, i will cut and use the laser on, every other day. the other will only be laser treated every other day as well. but, gotta wait a couple months to get ppes off of proraptor. NOTE: this is not a normal laser, it is a theraputic laser for recovering from injuries, they have a specific wavelength to stimulate rapid cell generation.

comments?

er1c_the_reefer

i think i heard something about those the other day in class. it's called low level laser therapy or something like that and that there aren't too many peer reviewed studies on them. it's comparable to modern day acupuncture, with results varying from individual to individual, and when it does work, no one knows exactly why. it'd be interesting to see what happens though, since zoanthids and palythoas are sensitive to lighting conditions what kind of crazy morphs they'll turn into.

lilredneckman

Well i just got finished reading this thread and i think it is a great idea! As soon as i get some PPE i will definitely try this. Right now i think i am going to try and take a few polyps of some zoas and place them all on different rocks with lots of room to grow and see how they do and probably repeat the process if it works well.

Come on now... updates updates? I have noticed my single polyp frags have about 3-5 polyps growing off the main one.

If I had a group of 4-5 polyp frag, then I usually only get 2-3 new polyps due to lack of space!

Gona try this on my envy ornages to see if I can get some growth. Ive only gotten 1 new polyp in months!

I have 2 colonies of 2 and 3 polyps so I do this once they color up better under my new MH and will post progress!

OMG! can you believe my girlfriend sad 'Coolguy! razor blades aren't the answer to everything!' But it turns out razor blades are the answer to everything!

The PPEs' I sliced a while back are showing some swelling around the base of the polyps. I'm keeping my eyes on them!

Archived