Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Singapore Green Tank

Duncan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fts with all the life support equipments... Not much change except for the powerhead. And a bag of phosguard + carbon in a corner.

DSCF1141.jpg

VERY INTERESTING!!

and gorgeous too! looks very healthy, nice job managing those non-photosynthetic corals.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, guys. I didn't realize there were posts after my last update. :lol:

hecsrt-4, thank you very much!

audio101, thank you for compliment!

At 1 point, I heard a rumor about torch stings frogspawn and hammer. I just believed in it and was too timid to try it out in my own tank. haha. But besides that, there is something that I don't quite like torch... maybe its the look (evil-looking long tentacles, lol). Thanks for the verification.

Most of my corals are locked in place by means of 'jigsawing the pieces'. A tedious process, but I get a sense of achievement when the pieces snap-locked! lol! But I do use superglue gel (loctite) if the situation calls for it. Speaking of superglue gel, loctite seems to pull out all its gel products from the shelves. I'm using 3M superglue gel now, but it is not as good as loctite. *sigh*

Kamao,

I change 20% of the water bi-weekly. Replace my phosguard and carbon whenever I do waterchange. For cal/alk, I test them on a weekly basis and doses Salifert All In One daily.

Feeding-wise, I also dose Salifert Coral Food everyday for my non-photosynthesis coral and whatever animals with tiny mouths. Flakes (yes, Salifert again)/Cyclop-eeze twice a week for the clowns, nassarius and shrimps and Frozen plankton once a week.

Okay, I'm not a promoter for Salifert, in case you think I'm advertising for them! lol... I just use whatever that works for me. hth

Mr Anderson,

Thank you for the kind words! Your biotope tank is very interesting too! Things seems to be okay for my non-photosynthesis corals. *cross fingers*

Late recent, I got pretty mad about non-photosynthesis stuff. I saw some mind blowing Japanese tanks, filled with these non-photosynthesis coral and sps like acropora. Not sure how the Japanese are able to put acropora and cauliflower tree together. One party requires perfect water parameters and the other group needs high nutrient water. Of course, high nutrient water can also have perfect water parameter, but we are talking about a closed system, unlike the sea.

But anyway, I'm only interested in the non-photosynthesis corals and started filling up my other tank, the previously so-called zen garden. lol. That tank always been around, just that it becomes my private tank and hence, it is no longer updated.

Later, I realized I can actually do the non-photosynthesis stuff in this green tank. My miser brain got me thinking again. I mean I got tonnes of filter feeders popping up everywhere and my bali cauliflower trees are doing great as well. So why spend the extra $$$ building up another setup while I can build on my existing green tank? lol

Basically, I dumped all the corals over to the green tank. (Not exact dump, I did some careful measures/considerations)

I don't want to bog you guys down with all the details, so here's a fts. I don't think I can call it the Green Tank anymore. haha.

DSCF1296.jpg

See if you can spot the flower trees. :lol: One bad thing, is that they blossom fully only when lights off. So, I can't really get a shot where everyone is open. :( Some of these trees get really huge at night. The pink tree at the bottom right fills up all the way to the monti (which is mounted on the magnet cleaner).

My hot red chilli! The white feeder polyps usually come out when the lights are out. *sigh*

DSCF1306.jpg

And my moai boys... I totally ran out of place for them. They look after my clam now. lol

DSCF1299.jpg

Yup, did I forget to mention I got a new fire pipefish? :P

Thanks for looking!

Toomin

haha, but my clowns are darker in color now too. Not too sure why. And I think one of them has morphed into a girl. She grown so much larger than the other clown and she bosses him around.

c est ma,

thank you for the compliments! I'm still not too pleased with the aquascape, but I don't have much choices due to flow/light/estate restrictions. It's more like the reef scaping itself when it comes down to the last few estates.

rant: the only space where I can put the toadstool seems impossible as the frogspawn is too close for comfort. Its tentacles are brushing the base of the toadstool when it puffs up. I removed the toadstool and don't know what to do with it. *sigh*

got2envy, I love my little guys too! haha. Everyone should have at least 1 in their tank. lol

NanoClown, thanks man! Those non-photosynthesis softies are the final pieces.

One bad news is that one of my alveopora head is covered by some red parasite algae and is dying from inside. Most probably due to my fault, I had it in a low flow area. :(

is that the ring that spins around? ;) i am such a nerd when it comes to LOTR. almost brought myself to learn elvish once too :scarry:

You think you're a nerd!, here's my son:

post-31255-1191237505_thumb.jpg

:P

Hi Duncan,

I read your whole thread and you have put together an amazing tank. It's really cool when you can see so much progress in one thread. I just started a nano 24 and it's in it 5th week now, slow moving but it is moving! :lol:

• 1 month later...
Hi Duncan,

I read your whole thread and you have put together an amazing tank. It's really cool when you can see so much progress in one thread. I just started a nano 24 and it's in it 5th week now, slow moving but it is moving! :lol:

Hi weez1959, thanks for the kind words! The slower the better, isn't it?

It's wonderful Duncan! Even when you've had setbacks, your tank has still been beautiful. :lol:

Hi Ben314z, thanks for the encouragement! :)

Updates...

Hi guys,

I decided to sell all my corals and start afresh. Looking back at the start of the thread, my original idea was a simple reef with a few (less than 5) corals. Low budget and maintenance and low cost.

Now, I got close up to 30 different corals stuffed in that little box of water! Oh, the temptations of owning the neon-color slimy animals had drained my wallet dried and wrinkled. lol...

The corals are moved yesterday to my 6 months old quarantine tank aka ex-'zen garden' tank. All the while, I always thought my corals never grow at all. Most probably cuz they were cramped together in a "shoulder to shoulder" manner. Most of my hammer and frogspawn got splitheads and mini-heads spouting on the branches! The monti-cap was serving as background coral, so I didn't notice it grown new plates too! Glad I didn't cheap out on the additives! lol! Too bad I only found out after I took them down.

I did my 3rd major overhaul last night. Nothing special about the new aquascape but it is different from the previous two scapes. Haha...

I haven't given the new tank residents much thought... So, I was hoping you guys can chime in some ideas. The clowns are still going to be part of the new reef, so are the shrimps and snails... lol.

AND... I also bought a 150W Metal Halide light fixture! The bulb is 20,000K and the color is stunning!

So... any idea for my new tank look? :lol:

I'm leaning towards an anemone tank for the moment.

I decided to sell all my corals...any idea for my new tank look? :lol:

I'm leaning towards an anemone tank for the moment.

You could try something absolutely insane like a goronian & anemone tank! I have always thought it would be neat to see the contrast of the similar branching shapes, one rigid, the other flowing. It would also be really visually pleasing to do warm hues-reds and yellows and purples and oranges with a tank like that. The trick would be to find some photosynthetic gorgs...

Not exactly an "low maintenance" tank, thats for sure. You would definitely need some serious filtration. Meh, I don't think it wouldn't work very well to be honest. One of those things that sounds like it would look really nice in your head, but in RL is a bad idea. Oh well. Too bad nature does not always cater to aesthetics.

I still think starting out with warm colors as a contrast to your previous green beginning would be a neat change though. :lol: Can't wait to see what you come up with!

BTW, what MH fixture did you get? That's wonderful! Congrats on the new purchase.

Ben

PS: I do want to hug your avatar. :adorable: :P

It sounds very interesting! I haven't thought of it! :)

But goronian is truly insane and advance level stuff for. I'm just a lazy bum, dosing cal/alk is already killing me now. lol

My main concern with mixing anemone with corals is the walking destroyer part and ultimately self-destruct in the powerhead. lol

I still think starting out with warm colors as a contrast to your previous green beginning would be a neat change though.

Ya, you read my mind. I was thinking along that line too! That's why I'm going for a rose anemone (still considering) with lotsa macros.

BTW, what MH fixture did you get? That's wonderful! Congrats on the new purchase.

I don't think you heard of the brand. It's from Hopar, a china brand. The cheapest of the all. Haha... I'm a mh noob, it's my first mh. Yeah! I love giving me Christmas presents! lol

Really, I'm just quite lost at the moment. Anyway, I'll sell all my corals first. So, keep the ideas coming in! :lol:

chris-is-awesome™

definantly an anemone tank though... the way they sway is awesome

or you could do a tank entirely dedicated to zoas

I'm in the middle of coral sale now. Sold almost half of my collection now. I don't think I can bear to sell the remaining ones. :tears:

Guess I won't setup the anemone-only tank anymore. *long sigh*

stoney waters

I had to catch up on your thread and was surprised to see how your tank has changed. It is just outstanding. I am going to follow more closely.

Great job Duncan.

I'm in the middle of coral sale now. Sold almost half of my collection now. I don't think I can bear to sell the remaining ones. :tears:

Guess I won't setup the anemone-only tank anymore. *long sigh*

It's almost like selling your children I bet...

I had to catch up on your thread and was surprised to see how your tank has changed. It is just outstanding. I am going to follow more closely.

Great job Duncan.

I'm fickle-mind bastard! I can't stand looking at the same stuff too long. lol

Thanks for the stalking! :P

Still looks great duncan. BTW, check out my new tank thread. I have an updated pic of the xenia hair moai :P

Finally, I was waiting for your update, man... Oh, I must see the funky moai! Hey, someone please join the moai club? We need more peep!

It's almost like selling your children I bet...

ya... it's true. I only hope their new parents treat them well. Hate to see them suffer when I got them big and chubby. *shrug*

Archived